Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:40 PM
Project reporting has just been assigned to me, so apologies for the newbie questions.
Management require a report detailing over utilised resources. The plan is a linked plan (to approx 30 other plans), and is on project 2007 (not server).
Previously when i was running reports on projects, the projects were saved as mpd files, meaning i could query data from excel. Unfortunately this is not the case here, so how can i extract data showing over utilised resources. For each resource, i would like to report the following data:-
- Name of resource
- Date of over utilisation
- Each task assigned during the day of over utilisation
- Work required for that task on that day
- Project of the above task
Hopefully once i get the data into excel, i can format and provide a simple report for each PM showing the overassignments in their areas.
CheersPS Excel version is 2003
- Edited by rapscalli Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:41 PM
Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:50 PMModerator
You can use Built-in Reports to show this : Reports -> Work Load -> Resource Usage. It staissfy all your stated 5 points. This Report can be printed and shared.
Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/reviewing-resource-usage-in-project-with-workload-reports-book-excerpt-HA001173895.aspx
- Edited by Sapna Shukla - Project MVPMVP, Moderator Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:02 PM
Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:58 PMModerator
Other then that you can have a better view in timephased fashion in Resource Usage view. Also, you can import the plan in EXL by doing Save as in EXL and then giving definition to Export wizard on the settings you would like to Import.
Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/view-resource-workloads-and-availability-HA001231829.aspx
- Edited by Sapna Shukla - Project MVPMVP, Moderator Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:05 PM
Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:14 PM
i have attempted to run the report and get an error message "you cannot print or preview because the print area of the page is too small".
I have saved the plan as xls, seleceted "project excel template", and the output shows no tasks or assignemnts. Is this becaues it is a linked plan?
Friday, May 04, 2012 7:04 AMModerator
For the error message you can refer to : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193148
Also try these :
- Decrease the margin settings for the page.
- Decrease the font size of the report to fit entire text onto one page width.
- Change the printed orientation of the report. For example, if the report is being printed in a portrait orientation, try switching to landscape.
- Decrease the length of the task or resource names.
As for the Blank EXL this seems to be a known issue, refer - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/2710eaf4-5283-4357-816c-8dedcae425f0/
I couldn't find a patch, see if you have any luck : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587
- Marked As Answer by Mike GlenModerator Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:12 PM