Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:00 PM
I use Project Server 2010 and in order to make all the tests I created a test environment (different servers and so on...)
I have an issue with the test environment: when I try to transfer the information from the production environment to the thest environment I use the following method:
1. I delete the Service in Central Administration->Application Management->Service Appliction->Dev Service Appllication->Deletehttp://MyPS2010/PWA
2. Central Administration->Manage Content Database->WSS_Content-> Offline and Remove Content Database
3. Restore the 5 databases: Archive, Draft, Published, Reporting and WSS_Content.
4. Central Administration->Manage Content Database->Add Content Database-> The one I've just restored
5. Central Administration->Manage Service Application->Dev Project Service Application->Create Projoect Web App Site ->http://MyPS2010/PWA
6. I run in powershell the commands:
$Web.AllProperties | Format-Table
And the problem is running the last command, sometimes works and most of the times doesn't work, the error I get running $Web.Update() is:
Exception calling "Update" with "0" argument(s): " Access is denied. (Exception
from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))"
At line:1 char:12
+ $Web.Update <<<< ()
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) , MethodInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException
And I keep trying and trying until it works. When it works I have to execute some tasks more (Change PDP's, Deactivate OLAP Management, Change Server in Quick Launch and Bulk Update Project Sites)
Can someone help me to know why I get this error in $Web.Update()?
By the way, if you think that I forgot something in this method, please, tell me and I will change it.
Thank you and regards,
Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:19 PMOwnerBasically you should follow the five database attache procedure to transfer data from one environment to another. Does it work when you provision a PWA instance using the Central Admin UI?
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:32 PM
yes, it works fine.
I have everything duplicated, meaning that I have two virtual servers (app and sql) other than the two servers used for production, in fact is a second installation totally separated, that's why I restore the 5 databases in the other virtual server, I don't use the sql command Attach or Dettach, I just backup the db's in the sql production server and then I restore them in the test server, I've done it several times and there is no problem, I just get a perfect duplication of data (that's what I need to make tests). Then I have to touch some details (the ones I described above) and then it works as I want.
The only problem is the one I'm asking about.
If you can help me I will appreciate.
Thank you and regards,
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:41 AM
Just for your information:
The way I have found to solve this problem is to restart the servers, I know is an extreme solution but, as the servers are test servers then I'm not disturbing at all as the servers are used only by me.
- Marked As Answer by José Espases Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:41 AM