Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:50 AMwhat is server farm in sharepoint ?
- Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:03 AM A general question. Also please STOP posting with the same text as the title - we need more information in your texts. They - like the titles - are far too general (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:03 AMHey :
Thats a preety simple question; googling over it will give you to much details.
In simple words farm in sharepoint can be defined as a collection of one or more SP servers & one or more SQL servers coming together to give you sharepoint services and they are bound together by a single configuration database IN SQL.
Best Regards, Mukesh Giri Sr.System Executive
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:24 AMPlease check the link below:
I LOVE MS..... Thanks and Regards, Kshitiz (Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:02 AMHi,
SharePoint Server farm environments can encompass a wide range of topologies, and can include many servers or as few as two servers.
- A small server farm typically consists of a database server running Microsoft SQL Server , and one or more servers running Internet Information Services (IIS) and Office SharePoint Server 2007. In this configuration, the front-end servers are configured as Web servers and application servers. The Web server role provides Web content to clients. The application server role provides Office SharePoint Server 2007 services such as servicing search queries, and crawling and indexing content.
- A medium server farm typically consists of a database server, an application server running Office SharePoint Server 2007, and one or two front-end Web servers running Office SharePoint Server 2007 and IIS. In this configuration, the application server provides indexing services and Excel Calculation Services, and the front-end Web servers service search queries and provide Web content.
- A large server farm typically consists of two or more clustered database servers, several load-balanced front-end Web servers running Office SharePoint Server 2007, and two or more application servers running Office SharePoint Server 2007. In this configuration, each of the application servers provides specific Office SharePoint Server 2007 services such as indexing or Excel Calculation Services, and the front-end servers provide Web content.
- You can deploy Office SharePoint Server 2007 in a server farm environment if you are hosting a large number of sites, if you want the best possible performance, or if you want the scalability of a multi-tier topology. A server farm consists of one or more servers dedicated to running the Office SharePoint Server 2007 application
Best Regards, Ammar MCT http://ahmed-ammar.blogspot.com Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:48 AM
A server farm represents the top-level element of a logical design that may include several SP Servers and Multiple Databases.
We have 5 diff types:
1.Small farm—shows a small, two-tier, three-server farm. One of the WFE servers is also hosting one or more application server roles.
2.Medium farm—shows a three-tier, five-server farm.
3.Extended medium farm—shows a three-tier, six-server farm with two database servers.4.Large farm—shows a three-tier, eight-server farm. Two of the application servers are dedicated to a service application, such as Excel Services or Microsoft InfoPath®.5.Extended large farm—shows a three-tier, 13-server farm. The servers in the red boxes are now dedicated to search components. The other application servers are grouped for service applications, such as Excel Services or InfoPath.
Several criteria that your organization determines may affect the number of server farms that are required, including:
• Separate operational divisions of responsibility.
• Dedicated funding sources.
• Separate data center locations.
• Regulatory requirements for physical isolation between sites.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:51 AMI disagree with Ahmed opening statement for the Server Farm. A server Farm can have as few as One Server not only two.
- Edited by KelvinTaku Monday, October 08, 2012 3:59 PM