Friday, February 08, 2013 3:12 AM
I've recently migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 and having problems the below issues:-
- All users on the Network experiencing slow access to shared drive for Microsoft products ie. Excel spreadsheets, Word documents
- Seems slower on the Windows7 machine than XP (Slow = 45-60 sec to open small word doc)
- Opening PDF's is ok, but saving is slow
- Printing was slow but since I've installed a universal driver PCL 6 driver on the server it's as it should be. This is fine as long as you don't edit the document the from print > landscape> colour > BW etc
- MYOB working ok but converting to PDF is an issue
Steps We took:-
- Migrated from Server SBS 2003 to 2011 using Microsoft Migration Handbook using (http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=14570)
- Had a heap of errors with roles and permissions of roles downloaded and installed 1.5GB of updates and hotfixes, demoted the original DC and took it off the Domain which fixed a lot of our errors.
- Installed SP1
- done this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037)
- and this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493361
- Tweaked Bullgaurd AV on Server and all machines (tried disabling also).
- Checked over Group Policy settings
- Disabled IPv6 in registry and across all client machines
- Turned off Dual NIC's as apparently SBS2011 doesnt like it
- Switched all Exchange related services to manual as not required using a hosted solution
- Stopped File Server Storage Reports Service
- Stopped Routing and Remote Access
- I think this may resolve issue .....http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htm
Any assistance would be hugely appreciated
Saturday, February 09, 2013 9:38 PM
what are the processor and memory at? have you done any performance logging on the server?
what are the specs and how many users do you have?
Gareth | IT Support Bury St Edmunds
Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:47 PM
Few questions for you
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037 -- Did you installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967224 before following 951037 or are there any invalid entries in registry as per http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/08/31/running-netsh-on-windows-2008-vista-causes-invalid-registry-entries-to-be-created.aspx
Tweaked Bullgaurd AV on Server and all machines (tried disabling also). -- there are two levels of drivers from any AV. First is kernel mode driver (which is going to be started in any case if you disabled it only through msconfig and second is user mode which won't be started since you disabled it through msconfig). To completely disable it you will have to run fltmc on command prompt identify the AV driver and set the startup value to 4 in registry and reboot the machine to apply it.Needs to be performed on both client and server)
Disabled IPv6 in registry and across all client machines -- This is not recommended
Turned off Dual NIC's as apparently SBS2011 doesnt like it -- good.
Switched all Exchange related services to manual as not required using a hosted solution -- I am not sure if this is going to help.
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htm -- This is related but make these changes carefully as it may have adverse effects as Winvista and later supports smb2 , xp doesn't.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/12/07/3373406.aspx -- Is can excellent article which can be used for investigation.
Ensure you have clients updated as well with latest NIC and office updates.
- Marked As Answer by Cheers ZHANGMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:43 AM