Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:42 AM
I made some changes to my cube using BIDS, ( SQL Server 2008 , SSAS ), i.e. added a new calculation and edited a Named Calculation in one of the fact Table in DSV.
Now I saved the project.
I want to transfer these changes SSAS database, where users can see these new changes when they open cube information using Excel.
what should I do
Deploy OR Build ?
OR Process the cube??
Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:51 AM
Once you build the cube in the BIDS, we can say the structure of the cube is created. So once the cube structure is built we need to deploy the structure to the actual Sql server analysis server. This process is called DEPLOYMENT of cube.
So once you deploy the structure to the SSAS server, we need to load the data into the structure we have created. This process of loading data into the cube and creating the aggregations is called Cube processing.
So to make a cube online for the user for querying we need to build the structure of the cube in BIDS and deploy it to a SSAS server and the process it to load with data and aggregations, then the user can query on the SSAS cube.
A Named Calculation is a new column added to a Table in DSV and is based on an expression. This capability allows you to add an extra column into your DSV which is based on one or more columns from underlying data source Table(s)/View(s) combined using an expression without requiring the addition of a physical column in the underlying database Table(s)/View(s).
so u need to build the cube in the BIDS and then deploy your project to SSAS Server and then process it
Below are the processing options available in SSAS:
- Process Add: This processing mode is available for Dimensions, Measure Groups and Partitions. When this processing mode is applied to Dimensions, it adds new members into the dimensions from the underlying database and updates the descriptions of the attributes. When this processing mode is applied to Measure Groups and Partitions, it adds the incremental fact data into the cube and processes only the affected partitions.
- Process Clear: This processing mode is available for Dimensions, Measure Groups, Partitions, Cubes, Mining Models and Structures as well as OLAP (SSAS) databases. This processing mode is used to remove the data from an Analysis Services object. Data is removed from an object and all the subsequent child level objects.
- Process Clear Structure: This processing mode is available only for Mining Structures as part of the Data Mining component of SSAS. This processing mode is used to clear the training data previously loaded into a mining structure.
- Process Data: This processing mode is available for Dimensions, Measure Groups, Partitions, and Cubes. This processing mode is used to process the data without actually building or creating the aggregations and indexes.
- Process Default: This processing mode is available for Dimensions, Measure Groups, Partitions, Mining Models and Structures, Cubes, and OLAP (SSAS) databases. When this process is applied to any of these objects, it first determines the current state of the object from a processing standpoint and then does the necessary processing to bring the object to current/fully processed state.
- Process Full: This processing mode is available for Dimensions, Measure Groups, Partitions, Mining Models and Structures, Cubes, and OLAP (SSAS) Databases. When this processing mode is applied to an object, the object itself and all the subsequent lower level objects are fully processed. The data is cleared from an object if it already has some previously processed data.
- Process Index: This processing mode is available for Dimensions, Measure Groups, Partitions, and Cubes. This option works only on the processed objects and for unprocessed objects you will get an error. When applied on any processed objects, it creates aggregations and indexes if they don't already exist. It recreates them if they already exist.
- Process Structure: This processing mode is available for Mining Structures and Cubes. When this processing mode is applied to a cube, it creates the cube structure and it also processes the cube dimensions if they are not already processed. This processing mode loads the data into the Mining Structure, when applied on it.
- Process Update: This processing mode is available only for Dimensions. When this processing mode is used, it freshly reads all the dimension data from the database and updates the data in the dimension.
Please feel free to ask if you have any doubts and remember to mark the correct replies as answers.
Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:52 AM
Will you should always build your solution just to ensure there are no errors or any critical warnings.
Now when you make any structural changes in the solution like editing the dimensions or fact tables, you should Build --> Deploy the solution
Once this is completed with success, you can process the analysis service database.
Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps
Cheers, Raunak | t: @raunakjhawar | My Blog
- Marked As Answer by Mira Pimbi Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:56 AM