Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:15 AM
I am trying to install the 64 bit Data mining add in into Excel 2010 (64 bit). I get the following error.
The error makes mention of Powerpivot. I no longer have Powerpivot installed, so the file referenced appears to be some remnant.
1) I recently de installed SQL (in Tabular mode) and re installed in OLAP / Multidimensional mode.
2) I have also lost access to analysis services (see screenshot below)
3) Based on the Analysis Services does appear to be running fine from looking at the Services running on my machine (Services ->SQL Server Analysis services = ":Started".
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:06 AM
I recommend running the "Server Configuration Utility" which comes with the add-in. That utility makes sure the connection can work, and also sets appropriate permissions in Analysis Services. This utility is the first step in debugging connection problems from the Excel add-in.
By the way -- the current technology will NOT work with a Tabular mode instance. You are REQUIRED to have "Multidimensional and Data Mining" mode installed. Both modes can be installed on the same machine, but you would need to run through setup twice (meaning that it cannot be currently done from the initial single SQL Server installation). I have both modes running. The "Server Configuration Utility" then connects to the "Multidimensional and Data Mining" mode.
Mark Tabladillo PhD (MVP, SAS Expert; MCT, MCITP, MCAD .NET) http://www.marktab.net
Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. However i get the same error with the Server config utility. Any other ideas?
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:01 AMModerator
You need connect to Analysis Services instance first, successful connections depend on a valid port configuration and appropriate user permissions. Click the following links for more information about each requirement
1. Configure the Windows Firewall to Allow Analysis Services Access
2. Grant User Permissions on an Analysis Services Multidimensional Database
For more information about connecting to an Analysis Services instance, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174926.aspx
TechNet Community Support