Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:51 AM
After I installed SqlServer2K5_BOL.msi, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express CTP does not launch any more.
How can I use both SSMSEE and BOL?
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:21 PMMe too
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:20 PMModeratorThe problem was in the Management Studio Express tool released on November 7. There is a new Management Studio Express CTP download available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=82AFBD59-57A4-455E-A2D6-1D4C98D40F6E&displaylang=en.
This update fixes the defect where installing the full Books Online documentation prevented Management Studio Express from starting. With the update, Management Studio Express and Books Online no longer interfere with each other.
To update Management Studio Express CTP:
1) Uninstall Management Studio Express CTP from your machine.
2) Clear your browser's download cache. If you are using Internet Explorer 6, you can do this by starting Internet Explorer, clicking the Tools | Options menu item, and then clicking the "Delete Files..." button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section.
3) Download and run SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi (or SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi) from the URL listed above
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:34 PMHi I am skeptical, but will soldier on. I just downloaded this yesterday. I will see if I get a new rev on the new download.
Here is my environment:
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 9.00.1399.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42
Operating System 5.1.2600
Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:48 PM
I had the same problem, and this fix worked for me.
Friday, December 02, 2005 6:15 PMI had the same problem however this fix did not work fine for me. Any other suggestions on how to solve this problem.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:04 AMI would be very skeptical when downloading either of those files. MS download servers currently have a fairly serious (in my opinion) problem with syncronizing their mirroring. It seems to lead to some mirrors providing outdated files - it's meant to be transparent to the end user so you typically don't even know you may be downloading from a mirror, or receiving an outdated file. See these forum threads for details:
The only solution I have found to date is to pound the servers with download requests using wget until you happen upon one that is the correct size. If your ISP has any sort of caching you may be SOL though. You can download wget from here - it's part of the unxutils package:
The correct file size for SQL BOL seems to be 124,038,144 bytes. (If you get less you have got the wrong file)
The correct file size for SSME seems to be 31,401,984 bytes. (If you get more you have got the wrong file)
And... wget will take a URL as command line args, just be sure to enclose it in quotes to be safe.