Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:11 PM
we have windows 2003 cluster server ( active and pasive )..and sql 2005..
Now the client want to upgrade the os and sql to windows 2008R2 and sql server 2k8..
for the above request, please give your suggestions to complete the task successfully..
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:33 PMModeratorFirst OS then SQL
SQL Server Setup Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:18 PM
Since this is a cluster, you cannot perform an in-place upgrade of a cluster running Windows 2003
Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:43 AMModerator
You could try these methods below.
Method 1: Clean installation
1. Perform a clean installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on the nodes in the cluster.
2. Install the Failover Clustering feature, create a new cluster, and then reconfigure the cluster settings.
3. Install SQL Server 2008 on the server and initialize SQL Server cluster.
Method 2: In-place migration
1. To perform in-place migration, visit the following Microsoft Web site for more information:
2. Upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 on first on passive then on active node.
Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.