Friday, November 30, 2012 9:53 PM
I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a machine at work however, I keep getting a failure message telling me there is already a version of SQL Server 2008 installed on my machine.....I un-installed everything related to a previous installation of SQL Server 2008 on the machine....Why would I still be getting this message?
Friday, November 30, 2012 9:59 PMModerator
Hi, you can run the Discovery Report to see what is still remaining on the machine.
Sam Lester (MSFT)
Friday, November 30, 2012 10:01 PMModerator
Please try to manually uninstall SQL Server with the following resource:
Try a manual removal as explained by YoYo Yu.
Hope this helps.
Friday, November 30, 2012 10:22 PM
Thanks for your response! The discovery report says that there are no instances of SQL server installed on my machine. This makes it very confusing indeed.
Monday, December 03, 2012 12:43 PMModerator
It seems the registry cause the issue.
To uninstall SQL Server 2008, try the following steps:
1. Make sure you have administrative rights on the computer
2. Uninstall the existing SQL Server 2008 and all the components from the control panel. Remember to back up the user databases before uninstalling SQL Server.
3. Backup the registry.
4. Delete the following keys in regedit:
--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.
6. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.
7. Rename or remove all the SQL Server folders in the computer.
In addition, you could try to install a named instance instead of a default instance.
TechNet Community Support
- Marked As Answer by Maggie LuoMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:17 AM
Monday, December 03, 2012 1:39 PM
Try to install SQL Server 2008 R2 as a Named instance.
SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue. (b:http://sudeeptaganguly.wordpress.com )