General System Center Virtual Machine Manager discussions
New to VMM Forum? Read before posting a question.
This forum is dedicated to questions about SCVMM (System Center Virtual Machine Manager). Please use good judgement to post your question to the relevant subforums.
If your question is not about this product, please find the correct forum here: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?SiteID=17.
When posting a question or an issue, it is helpful to include the product version you have question about, your VMM setup environment, the steps you tried and specific error message you observed.
A few related forums for your ease of reference are:
Hyper-V (Server Virtualization) forum
Windows Powershell forum
WMI / WinRM issues:
Server Core forum:
Windows Failover Clustering forum:
How to collect SCVMM traces
For general information about troubleshooting VMM 2012, such as collecting traces and logging information, see VMM 2012 General Troubleshooting Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=211124) on the Microsoft Download Center. .
1. Install DebugView on the SCVMM server, the host in question, and/or the Web server (for troubleshooting self-service portal issues).
2. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odsflags.cmd":
echo ODS control flags - only trace with set flags will go to ODS
if (%1)==() goto :HELP
if (%1)==(-?) goto :HELP
if (%1)==(/?) goto :HELP
echo Setting flag to %1...
reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Microsoft\Carmine" /v ODSFLAGS /t REG_DWORD /d %1 /f
echo Usage: odsflags [flag], where flag is
echo TRACE_ERROR = 0x2,
echo TRACE_DBG_NORMAL = 0x4,
echo TRACE_DBG_VERBOSE = 0x8,
echo TRACE_PERF = 0x10,
echo TRACE_TEST_INFO = 0x20,
echo TRACE_TEST_WARNING = 0x40,
echo TRACE_TEST_ERROR = 0x80,
3. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odson.reg":
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
4. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odsoff.reg":
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
5. Copy the three files created above, odsflags.cmd, odson.reg, and odsoff.reg, to the machines that DebugView will be used on.
6. Run the following commands at an elevated Command Prompt:
(If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host or the Web server, make sure to run these commands on all of these computers).
1. Open DebugView as an administrator and ensure that both Capture Win32 and Capture Global Win32 are selected on the Capture menu item. You should be able to see tracing from the VMM components showing up in DebugView. (If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host, make sure to do these steps on all of these computers).
Figure 2: DebugView.exe Capture menu
2. Restart the Virtual Machine Manager Service on the SCVMM server by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vmmservice
net start vmmservice
3. Restart the Virtual Disk Service by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vds
net start vds
4. Restart the Virtual Machine Manager Agent service on the host by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vmmagent
net start vmmagent
5. Restart the IIS service on the Web server by running the following command at an elevated command prompt:
6. Reproduce the issue.
7. After reproducing the issue, save the output from the DebugView to a text file for analysis.
Turn off tracing after collecting the data by running the following command at a Command Prompt:
The format of a DebugView trace differs from that of an ETL trace since DebugView captures all Win32 application activity and, if selected, Kernel mode activity. If saved as a text file, it may be opened in other tools such as TextAnalysisTool.net or Trace32.
Filtering and SortingUse these options to narrow down the question and discussion list.
- 759TimStspry Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:01 PM
- 155cwlindy Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:29 PM
- 162Alex Tcherniakhovski Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:53 PM
- 143mackhand Friday, May 17, 2013 4:46 PM
- 71187Pavel N. Kosachev Friday, January 25, 2013 3:31 PM
- 1305W3ST_ Monday, March 11, 2013 8:07 PM
- 044MichaelFischer50 Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:24 PM
- 476Codemonkey86 Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:04 PM
- 2289Ricky Gao Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:18 AM
- 5138Arakel Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:22 PM
- 153Hashir Hamza Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:45 PM
- 047Stephen Buhagiar CNI Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:22 AM
- 283TimothyMarquenie Monday, May 13, 2013 8:20 AM
How do I run Get-SCVMMServer cmdlet(Powershell API provided by SCVMM) through C#. in SCVMM 2012 SP1 Beta??xplorershahz Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:54 AM
- 050Deatheye Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:33 AM
Please Clarify confused about clustering trough VMM in system center and clustering through failover cluster in windows 2012AishaArshad Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:09 PM
- 050PD-TechNet Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:34 PM
- 63761Human Being_001 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:19 AM
- 165mackhand Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:34 PM
- 122090Tshepo5 Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:03 PM