Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:53 AM
I installed the SQL 2008 Management Studio on a new HP ProBook 6540b laptop. I run a script to a server running SQL 2008 x64. The query returns about 10 record sets. This script takes under a second to run on all our old PC's, but it takes 30 seconds on the new PC. Management Studio seems to take its time drawing the boxes for each result set. I turned off Aero, and it now takes 15 seconds, but it is still much slower than on our other PC's. This PC is generally faster than the others, e.g. copying files over the network is faster. Do I need to change any settings? The settings in SQL configuration manager are the same as on the old PC.
I have applied all Windows updates and applied SQL SP1.
Any ideas? Thanks!
- Moved by Cody - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:12 PM Windows 7 & SQL Server (From:Performance and Maintenance)
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:45 PMHave you installed the latest SQL Server 2008 Sp1 cumulative update pack? It includes a lot of fixes.
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:49 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm downloading CUP6. What confuses me is that I'm not having performance problems on any other PC with the same version of Management Studio on XP, Vista or Windows 7.
I was wondering if it is an issue with a display driver - you can see it taking its time drawing the windows for each result set. But no other application has problems with the display.
Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:29 AM
I applied CUP6 to the PC (not the server), and it hasn't made a difference. The version number of Management Studio didn't change after installing CUP6 - is it supposed to change? The log shows that it succeeded.
For the record:
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.2531.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 10.0.1600.22
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.1.7600.16385
Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.4927
Operating System 6.1.7600
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:59 PM
Has there been any resolution to this? I am experiencing similar problems. I have even upgraded to 2008 R2.
When I open a new tab for a sql query, SSMS says "Management Studio Not Responding" for about a minute while the tab partially opens. Then it opens completely and you can work. When I run a query, it takes very long (30 seconds to a minute for something very simple -- even returning a single row and column). The same query runs in less than a second on my older machines.
Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:25 PM
I am also experiencing the same issue. Running a SQL SERVER 2008 R2 STANDARD server on Windows Server 2003, some clients are XP machines and query the host instantly and there is no lag with requests. On all my new Windows 7 Machines there is at least a 5 - 6 second period in which the program is unresponsive everytime it makes an SQL request.
I have tried the following:
1. Disable LLMNR
- No performance change
2. Use IP address instead of Hostname in my connection string
- No performance change
3. Use SSPI=NTLM in my connection string
- Does not even run
Any other ideas microsoft?
Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:15 AM
I am also experiencing the same issue, and I found solution. In this topic problem was resolved.
You need to disable AutoTuning network feature. Just execute command on you Windows 7 machine: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
- Proposed As Answer by Mark Wojciechowicz Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:03 AM
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:59 AM
Still if you are facing the issue, please see blow resolution:
The issue which we were seeing on Win7 VDIs could be due to the Network hardware device connected with the machine. If TCP/IP scaling is not supported by the network device then the performance will be slow.
Disable auto tuning level of the TCP. Please follow below steps:
- Open command Prompt with admin right (Run as Admin)
- Type “netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled”
- After running above command restart the machine.
For other information on this command, visit link “http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935400”
- Proposed As Answer by Munna Kumar Singh Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:59 AM
Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:33 PM
It appears that this issue only occurs on Windows 7 computers interacting with MS SQL 2005 or higher servers. We were able to correct this problem by performing the following steps:
Run - C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc
- Expand “Computer Configuration”
- Expand “Administrative Templates”
- Expand "Network"
- Click on “DNS Client”
- Set “Turn off Multicast Name Resolution” to Enabled
- Select “File” then “Exit”
From the command prompt
- Type “netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled” and press enter
You will need to reboot the computer after making the above changes.
If you are using ODBC DSN connections, make sure that you are using the "SQL Native Client" driver.
Hope this works for you.
- Proposed As Answer by shalom.usa Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:33 PM
- Run - C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc
Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:47 AM
The problem was worked around by setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. Whatever caused the problem eventually was solved either by a Windows update or a SQL Server update: some time last year (2012) I was able to remove compatibility mode and the problem didn't return.