Friday, December 21, 2012 8:09 AM
I use windows explorer to navigate to a directory and it shows say 22 items with some directories and some files. However if I use;
start search and type in search criteria - the file I know was there comes up and I can use "open in location" to open a Windows explorer window and boom another 4 files and 1 directory "show up" in this window - pointing to the same location!!. I do have screen shots of the evidence in at least 2 different directories.
These are normal word document and can be edited and resaved no problem.
It is also somewhat concerening that explorer stops responding from time to time and then restarts. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.
Monday, December 24, 2012 6:50 AMModerator
For Windows Explorer crash issue, you can check whether the following hotfix could help:
Windows Explorer may crash in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
Also, try the instructions below to narrow down the issue.
Run Windows Safe Mode
1. Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
4. Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.
5. Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.
If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.
Start Windows in Clean Boot mode
Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.
1. Click Start.
2. Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.
3. Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.
4. Click Disable All.
5. Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.
6. Click OK.
7. Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.
Hope this helps.
TechNet Community Support
- Marked As Answer by Vincent Wang-MCSCMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Friday, January 04, 2013 1:14 PM
Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:57 PM
Hi Vincent, I already have that update installed. Is there a log file I can send you to help narrow this down better?
Interesting you ask me to detach all USB devices as I am suspicious of them - when I wake Win7 from sleep mode by hitting enter on my Microsoft keyboard - many times it takes 1 - 2 mins for the mouse and keyboard to respond. Perhaps this is related?
Monday, January 14, 2013 10:32 PM
Any idea why files I have saved today with Excel aren't showing up in the folder via explorer but DO show up via search in that folder?