rvdebug.exe - No Disk - There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 - can anybody help me root cause this issue and fix it?
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:23 PM
rvdebug.exe is ARM's RealView debugger. I am using the lastest build of the same. Dowloaded on 21-Feb-2012.
The tool chain is installed on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit.
The error message appears every time I try to load an image. I can either cancel or retry or continue. No matter what I do, the message reappears. This happens countless times. I have to terminate the application to get rid of this message.
I was able to use the debugger in the past and the machine that it is installed on is strictly used for development so the only updates I make on this system are Microsofts recommened updates, Intel's updates or Adobe updates.
I know for sure that this application works on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit.
After troubleshooting this issue for a while it looks like this is a Windows problem but I do not know the cause and the fix for the same. I am guessing that after I applied some Microsoft updates that this problem appeared.
I opened a support ticket a month back with ARM on this matter but so far I do not have any solution. Proably they also do not know the cause. But the fact remains that their software works on other machines with the same OS. Thus, it does not look like their software's issue.
IT guys in my company tried a few things like privileges and firewalls but nothing seems to be helping.
It is very improbable that someone might have had this exact problem. However, it looks like a OS problem and I am sure somebody out there, mostly the Microsoft guys, knows how to root cause this issue.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:33 AM
1. You have landed in Windows Server forum. You are expexted to reach resolution of your problem in ARM forum here
3. If you want to solve particular problem with Device\Harddisk1\DR1 In Windows 7, then give here or in W 7 forum more details (exact message including Event ID.....)
- Edited by Milos PuchtaMicrosoft Community Contributor Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:40 AM
Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:20 PM
1) If you read my post completely you will find that a support ticket is already open with ARM. However, I do not think it is an ARM's issue. I believe Microsoft broke something in their updates targeted for Windows 7. I might be wrong but this is one area where we thing the problem is. The software was working fine in Dec 2011 then I wasn't using it for a while until 1/20/2012 and found this problem. In the meantime, there were .Net, Adobe, AMD catalyst and Microsoft updates made on my machine. Based on the error message I think the Microsoft's updates have the highest probability of causing this problem.
2) Which Process Monitor are you referring to? Does it come with Windows 7 or is it available separately?
3) Exact error message is in the subject line of this post and I don't see any event associated to the same. I had checked the event log earlier and didn't found anything. When the error appears, it appears in a small message box with the red X icon and three buttons namely Cancel, Try Again and Continue. The caption of the message box reads "rvdebug.exe - No Disk". The body of the message box reads "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1." To reiterate, this error is displayed when I try to load an image in the debugger.
Besides the above, similar message box appears for \Device\Harddisk4\DR4 when I open ARM's modify/uninstall wizard or the support wizard. This is to assure the readers that the image is not a problem.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:32 PM
I found the Process Monitor and downloaded and used the same. I am not familiar with debugging Windows issues so I will need some help here. At the basic level I applied a filter to log messages related to rvdebug.exe only. The last few messages that I see before the error message window was displayed are of the following pattern.
1) ReadFile - for the .axf image
2) CreateFile - for one of the source directory
3) QueryDirectory - for one of the files from that directory
4) CloseFile - for the source directory used in (2)
steps 2, 3 and 4 sometimes repeat 2 or 3 times for different or the same file listed in the .axf image. This makes sense as rvdebug is reading the .axf to look for files listed in there. These files are the source files used to make the .axf image. Based on the function calls I guess rvdebug is only making sure that the files are present.
None of the messages indicate any failure!
Additional information: How I use the ARM tools.
I have two machines. Machine A is where I have my source files and where I edit those files. Machine B is my build machine, it has the ARM and other build tools installed. I share my source folder from machine A and map it to a drive on machine B. I compile my source code on machine B using the ARM tool chain executing under a Cygwin shell. Note that the source files are on a mapped networked drive. Once compiled I download the image to my evalution platfrom and for debugging purpose I use the ARM's RealView debugger and connect to my target processor. Then the next step is to load the image. This time too the image (.axf) and the source files are read from the mapped network drive.
The above is just an FYI and it is not meant to indicate any problems regarding the reading of files from mapped network drives, because:
1) ARM compiler does not have any issues as it too is reading files over the network.
2) ARM's modify/uninstall wizard or the support wizard shows a similar error even if it has nothing to do with files over the network.
Let me know how to debug this issue further.
Monday, February 27, 2012 4:53 PM
The event id for the error message is 26.