Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:56 PM
I want to disable the "Switch User" function. I set HideFastUserSwitching=1 and it did nothing, I did restarted the PC, tried removing and re-adding the keyword, reset it to 0 and back to 1...
Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:49 PM
I have found answer from Shinmila (MS Cont.Staff):
Back up the registry
1) Click Start, typeregedit.exe in the Start Search or Run dialog box and pressEnter.
2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System
3) Create a DWORD (32-bit) Value namedHideFastUserSwitching by right clicking on the right side of the editor andselecting New > DWORD(32bit) Value.
4) Set the Value data for HideFastUserSwitching to 0 to disable fast user switching.
5) In future if you want to enable fast user switching, set the value data for HideFastUserSwitchingto 1.
Having done so, log off to see the changes. Fast User Switching should be disable after performing the steps above.
Monday, October 22, 2012 4:50 AM
As I initially posted, that is exactly what I did and it does not work. And I have tried 0 and 1... restarting the PC beyween.
If you have suggestions other then that please reply.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:17 AMModerator
Please change the registry setting again using the referring to Disable fast user switching in Windows 7, and then restart the computer to check the result. If it the fast user switching is still enabled, please export the registry file and upload it to the Skydrive for us to analyze it.
TechNet Community Support
- Marked As Answer by Leo HuangMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Monday, November 05, 2012 8:13 AM
Saturday, December 08, 2012 11:22 PM
Problem: fast user switching screen after 2 to 4 minutes of no mouse activity.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium on a Levono. The W7- HP came with the computer. I purchased the computer to stream NetFlicks as well as home office internet use.
Actions so far.
- I have researched a number of other sites.
- I have one user on the system, and no pass words. Did this through netplwiz from start menu.
- Windows up dates are current.
- Created the DWORD solution through the registry. Included a backup of the registry, in case I messed something up.
<<<<<Back up the registry
- 1) Click Start, type regedit.exe in the Start Search or Run dialog box and press Enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System
- Create a DWORD (32-bit) Value named HideFastUserSwitching by right clicking on the right side of the editor and selecting New > DWORD(32bit) Value.
- Set the Value data for HideFastUserSwitching to 0 to disable fast user switching.
- In future if you want to enable fast user switching, set the value data for HideFastUserSwitching to 1.
Having done so, log off to see the changes. Fast User Switching should be disable after performing the steps above.>>>>>
- Easily installed and without event Tried setting of 0 and 1, followed by full shut down and restart....and zero changes in the operating system.
After two changes above, the computer operates in exactly the same manner.....system is turned off....turn on computer and boots to home screen...and in 2 to 4 minutes, system drops off to black screen followed by fast user switching screen.
- Has MicroSoft made it impossible for me to use their software to stream videos on a "Home Version Premium"? Makes no sense to me…….