Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:01 PMHi, i just built myself a new core i7 920 rig and having some problems with win 7: let me explain.
Install went smooth, no problem, very nice stuff ( I switched from Win XP )
The OS was working great for about 1-2 days then:
Today, I shutdown the computer to replace the stock CPU cooler for a nice Cooler Master one.
When i hooked it back up, it didn't recognize the mouse and even my Xporter Patriot USB drive in any of my 12 USB ports.
I've searched the inter web seeking for an answer and tried everything, restart, pull power cord, etc. but found nothing.
Here are my specs:
Core i7 920
EVGA X58 3X SLI
Sapphire Toxic 5850
6GB Corsair RAM @ 1600 7-7-7-20 1.65v
850W Corsair PSU
1TB WD HDD
Monday, July 26, 2010 11:59 AM
Since you were inside the computer that worked fine and now it does not, look inside.
If you were not grounded, ESD may have damaged something.
If you did not power off the motherboard, you may have damaged something.
Are the cpu cooling fans the same? four pin connectors, three pin connectors? Changing from one type to another could cause problems. (No temp sensor, bios needs it or change setting)
Perhaps you bumped a connector. Check all connectors, usb front ports for a secure connection.
Enter the BIOS, choose default settings or optimal default settings, save and exit. Reboot.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:32 AMModerator
I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the motherboard chipset drivers for Windows 7 first.
Please check if all the USB ports cannot work normally and if the other USB devices cannot work? If so, please also perform the following steps to reinstall the USB controllers.
Reinstall USB controllers
Use the Mouse
First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:
1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.
Use the Keyboard
First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:
1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
4. Press "Right" and expand it.
5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.
Does it work?
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
- Marked As Answer by Arthur_LiMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Friday, July 30, 2010 1:29 AM
Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:04 AMHi, I have a 10 month old Acer laptop, win 7 pro, my mouse driver showa not recognized, (mouse works fine on xp computer), I have tried system restore, no luck, I have tried other working mice, no luck. my flash drives are recognized. Windows updates all done. anybody out there? please help. thx
- Edited by mutiedoc Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:05 AM