Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:37 PMI have had this problem with a Hitachi 1tb Ext HD for over a year - it comes and goes. Did the fix, uninstall and it found it when plugged in again, but it just gave me an error tone and the drive once again is missing. My personal opinion, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit has major problems regarding this USB external hard drive issue and Microsoft does not even acknowledge there is a problem. The only thing they want is for you to join their Premium Support Group at the tune of $99.00 and they will guarantee a fix. As I am typing this, the system just found the external hard drive again and it now appears under My Computer. Can someone come up with a permanent fix on this "disappearing disk" act?
Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:25 AM
1. I would address Hitachi support for help.
2. For addressing MS with your ptoblem use connect.microsoft.com
3. Play with power saving and avoid letting disk go to sleep.
4. Many problems are caused by improper installation of W 7 by ommitting proper post installation procedure, namely not starting with chipset driver and/or not installing support for USB 3
5. Sometimes it is faster procedure to buy new external hdd case and move hdd.