Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:36 PM
I've looked through many Q&As on this. None are helping. I remote in from home to a secure network via VPN. I had some issues with my desktop at work and they ended up changing the name of my work computer. At that moment I stared to get the "The credentials that were used to connect did not work" error. I made sure my new remote computer name was being used. I've read several fixes that tell you to disable your firewall. That's not doable when I'm VPNing in a secure environment. I have Windows 7 on both computers. I've tried my computer name and IP with no success. I ping'd my work computer successfully. I'm considering insiting on having my work computer name changed back if that will help. I'm desperate! I can't figure out why all of a sudden I can't get past the credentials. How do I fix this?
Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:31 AM
Are you logging into a domain or a local user account?
Sounds like you need to either specify the domain in the username field - ie domainname\username.
If you're not on a domain, use the name of your work computer instead of the domain - ie computername\username.
Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:24 PMYes, I'm logging into a domain. In Remote Desktop the Computer is called "computername.domain".
Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:28 PM
After making adjustments in numerous areas of mstsc, firewall, etc. I was able to connect to my PC at work. I really don't know which one was the fix. I made many of them before rebooting. Something in my last update before the last reboot did it though.
- Marked As Answer by Vincent Wang-MCSCMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:48 AM
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:48 AMModerator