Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:59 PMI have found an error log (text) file in the base of "My Documents." I would like to know which application wrote the file. Is there a way to find out which binary was responsible for the write?
Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:30 PM
1. There is only file owner information (most likely - you or system.)
2. You can pair the date of creation with record in Event log(s)
3. Content of log file would give enough information on possible source service or function (unless the file is empty).
- Marked As Answer by User 01 Friday, May 11, 2012 7:50 PM
Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:09 PMModerator
Would please let us know more details about the file. Such as its name, its content.
Meanwhile, you can try to use resource monitor to monitor which process is logging the log.
Hope this helps.
TechNet Community Support
- Edited by Jeremy_WuMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:10 PM
Friday, May 11, 2012 7:51 PMMilos, thanks for confirming that only file owner information is available.