Friday, March 02, 2012 5:44 PM
Please add any you find thanks!
Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows 8
[WIN KEY] Open Metro Start Screen
[WIN KEY] + C Open Charms bar
[WIN KEY] + I Desktop settings, quick access to power/shutdown/restart
Ctrl-Alt-Del Access to lock, switch user, sign out, Task Manager, power, accessibility
[WIN KEY] + Q Search Apps
[WIN KEY] + W Search Settings
[WIN KEY] + F Search Files
[WIN KEY] + D Go to Desktop if in Metro app, same as Show Desktop when in Desktop app
[WIN KEY] + . Snap current app to right side
[WIN KEY] + Shift + . Snap current app to left side
[WIN KEY] + , Peek at the Windows desktop
[WIN KEY] + Z Display app bar for Metro style app, expose All Apps on Start screen
[WIN KEY] + Tab Switch between Apps
Alt + Tab Switch between Apps
[WIN KEY] + Enter Narrator
[WIN KEY] + K Devices
[WIN KEY] + L Lock Screen
[WIN KEY] + H Share options
[WIN KEY] + P Projector/Display options
[WIN KEY] + R Run a command
[WIN KEY] + U Ease of Access Center
[WIN KEY] + X Quick access to a variety of system functions
Mouse Tips for Windows 8
• Move mouse to upper or lower right-hand of screen will open the Charms bar, slide mouse up or down to access.
• In Desktop app, click far right of taskbar to show desktop(minimize all apps), just like Windows 7
• Move mouse to upper-left, then slide cursor down to reveal running app thumbnails
• Move mouse to lower-left, then slide cursor up to reveal running app thumbnails
• Move mouse to upper-left and click mouse repeatedly to cycle through apps
• Move mouse to lower-left and click for Metro Start menu (you can right-click it for a handy menu)
• When in the "app thumbnail bar" right-click thumbnails for options to snap left/right or close app.
• Move mouse to top edge of screen in a Metro app and the cursor will change to a hand, drag
• down to the bottom of the screen to close the app.
• In Metro Start screen click button in lower-right to activate semantic zoom. You can right-click a group of tiles to name them. Click anywhere to exit semantic zoom. Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel zooms the Start Menu in and out too.
• Drag tiles anywhere to arrange them. Drag between two groups of tiles and a vertical thick white bar will appear,
dropping a tile on that bar will create a new group.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:46 PM
[WIN KEY] + Z Display app bar for Metro style app (when in the context of an app)
It also exposes the "All apps" icon when used from the Start screen. Right-clicking on Start screen will do the same thing.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:59 PMThanks Jim, updated.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:12 PMWin - and Win = are the magnifier ( = makes the view larger, - smaller)
Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:17 PM
Good list here
Keyboard shortcuts http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/02/getting-started-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview.ars/2
Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:31 PMYou can just hit Ctrl at the lock screen instead of dragging with the mouse.
Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:50 AMThanks, Folks. Great 'add' job to what was start here. 2 thumbs up!
Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:58 AMModerator
Also see this thread.
Microsoft Win8 CP Ultimate Shortcuts Guide available:
Sunday, March 04, 2012 5:15 AM
[win] + PageUp/PageDown multiple monitors, swap which one the Start screen is on
[win] + PrtScreen Save .png screenshot of desktop in Pictures library