Friday, February 15, 2013 5:21 PM
I've got the following problem:
I set up DirectAccess on a Win 2012 Server Standard and it seems to work properly.
There are no errors or warnings displayed on the Dashboard but there are also no connected clients displayd what makes me confused, because
when I take a look at my client an get the DirectAccess status over the powershell comand Get-DAConnectionStatus i get
Everything seems to be OK but the client can't reach any local ressources like pinging the domain controller or pinging the internal address of the DirectAccess server.
It would be great if somebody has an idea or a suggestion.
Friday, February 15, 2013 7:35 PM
There are a lot of different guides on how to troublshoot DA client connectivity errors for Forefront UAG.
You can use most of them to help you start looking at your setup an example is: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/trouble/7-Steps-Troubleshooting-DirectAccess-Clients.html
Other than that I would suggest that you start by generating a logfile on a client and see if it can reach any of the probes.
A problem that often occurs is that the client has problems to establish the IPSec tunnel for some reason...
Jonas Blom | Relevo AB | http://blog.nrpt.se
- Marked As Answer by Nick Gu - MSFTMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Monday, February 25, 2013 8:57 AM