Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:52 PM
I was just looking at my Windows Server, and saw that a process called System was using 70% CPU for some time...
I right clicked and opened the process and got to ntoskrnl.exe - but what is this process doing? and why is it using so much CPU?
Friday, January 11, 2013 6:53 AMModerator
Have you installed any new software on the server recently e.g. Antivirus/Firwall? I suggest you follow the troubleshooting steps from this blog:
How to troubleshoot high cpu in the System process
1. 3rd party applications such as:
A. Antivirus on the remote machines keeps on scanning the server.
B. Firewall programs.
2. Issues with network interface card (NIC) drivers/firmware.
3. Scripts and batch files that place excessive load on the serer, possibly run from the remote machines.
4. Windows Security Auditing configured aggressively as to Audit, in particular audits on success.
- Marked As Answer by Cheers ZHANGMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:03 AM