Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:34 PMHey all,
I've been trying to get my Server 2008 DC to assign the IE6 Home Page of my XP clients. However, no matter what I've tried, it does not seem to work and continues to default to www.msn.com.
I have tried Preferences->Control Panel Settings->Internet Settings, Policies->Windows Settings->Internet Explorer Maintenance (In both Preference and Normal modes), and Policies->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Internet Explorer->Disable changing home page settings
The clients do have the Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP . Every time I have made a change to the GPO I ran a gpupdate /force on the clients. Other Internet Explorer Settings DO work successfully.
A gpresult /v on the client shows no Browser Home URL set.
I'm out of ideas.
Thanks for your help,
- Edited by LastOneDR2 Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:56 PM
Friday, July 24, 2009 9:24 AMModerator
Thanks for the post
From your description, I understand that the group policy to set the IE homepage cannot be applied to the XP-based machines.
This issue will occur if one of the following factors is true:
1. The inappropriate group policy settings.
2. This GPO is not assigned to the appropriate OUs and users.
To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps:
1. Remove all the IE homepage-related settings in the original GPO.
2. Create a new GPO and just set the Homepage setting in the following path.
Policies->Windows Settings->Internet Explorer Maintenance->URLs->Important URLs
3. In the Security Filtering section, please add the appropriate Groups and Users.
4. Right this GPO and click Enforced, then refresh it.
Please run gpupdate /force command on the client machines after applying the group policy on the server side.
Does it work?
If the problem continues, please check if the Browser Home URL set is shown on the GPresult log.
Meanwhile, we may need to collect the GPMC report:
1. In Group Policy Management, please right click the problematic GPO and select “Save Report”.
2. Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address.
Hope this helps.
Friday, July 24, 2009 2:06 PMHi Miles,
I have done as requested. The new GPO I created is now the only GPO linked to the OU containing my users that contains Internet Explorer Maintenance settings. One inherited GPO does bring a Site to Zone Assignment List, but I temporarily disabled this GPO to test. I manually added a single user to the Security Filtering section of the new GPO to test with his account. I ran gpupdate /force and relogged in the user. Unfortunately, his IE6 home page still remained as it was previously set by the user.
A running of gpresult on the client shows that no home page url is being set.
I've uploaded the Report as requested.
Thanks for your assistance,
Monday, July 27, 2009 10:34 AMDoes your test user belong to the Customer Service OU? Please try to run gpresult command on the client, and paste the results here. Thanks.
Monday, July 27, 2009 1:16 PMHe does. I'll get you the results shortly.
Monday, July 27, 2009 8:31 PMOk, here's the gpresults log file. As you can see it is applying the Home Page GPO (Identical to the previous IE Test GPO I linked you to), but the settings aren't being made.
This is really weird.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:42 PMOk so I decided to upgrade the client to Internet Explorer 7 and lo and behold, the home page sets as expected.
Looks like there's some kind of compatability issue with IE6.
Since noone has suggested any other solution, I guess I'll just deploy IE7 to my clients and be done with it.
- Marked As Answer by LastOneDR2 Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:59 PM