Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:31 PM
I am a recent graduate and I am currently working with windows server 2000 with NT tech.and just got a new server to replace the old and I am installing server 2008 on it. Is there anything in particular that I should do? should I demote the old server first from DC? How is this going to effect the users while doing this? I have 25 users.
When I install the OS, make it the DC and connect it to the network after the old server is demoted from DC?
When I install 2008 on the new server how can I hook it up and call it the same name as the old server? And what is the most efficient way to transfer all my programs and files/folders to the new server as well.
What will I need to do with Active Directory and all the users. I have installed new servers as a new set up but never replacing a server with new.
Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:02 AMModerator
Thanks for the post.
In general, we will try the following steps to replace single domain controller in domain with a single domain controller
1. Install Windows Server 2008 on a new server.
2. Please prepare a domain for Windows Server 2008 and promote the new server to become Domain Controller (in the same domain).
3. Promote the new Domain Controller to be "Global Catalog" and reboot the server.
4. Install DNS server on the new Domain Controller.
5. Set the local IP of the new Domain Controller as DNS server.
6. Option - Install WINS service on the new Domain Controller and change
7. Move FSMO rules to the new Domain Controller.
8. Demote the original Domain Controller from using as "Global Catalog" and reboot the server.
9. Demote the original Domain Controller from using as "Domain Controller".
For your reference, I have included some useful articles below:
How to replace single domain controller in domain with a single domain controller?
Installing an Additional Domain Controller
Managing Domain Controllers
Friday, April 17, 2009 11:41 AMHi,
Please take a look at File Server Migration Toolkit.
This tool is very easy to use and do a great job in migration files, shares and permissions from one server1 to server2.
Jens Ole Kragh MCITP, MCTS, MCT http://jensolekragh.spaces.live.com/