Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:49 PM
I have a Windows 2003 SP2 Enterprise server that I have been allowing several users to access an application on. For the past week or so, I seem to be limited to only one concurrent RDP session and one concurrent ICA session.
When I look at the configuration of the RDP listener, the "Allow unlimited Connections to Winstation" setting in UNchecked, the "Maximum Connection Count" is set to 1, and both are greyed out. The same is also true of the ICA listener.
I have other servers on which this setting IS checked, and they work properly. The security officer applied a collection of security-related group policies about the time this started. I moved this server from that container, ran GPupdate /force, and restarted the server, but the problem remains. GPresult shows that the offending policy is no longer there, but the problem remains.
If I delete and recreate the listener, I can create a listener on which I can check this setting, but after IO create it and then look at its properties, that setting is once again UNchecked and greyed out.
What specific registry settings or group policy settings would control this?
Thanks so much for your help.
Monday, July 16, 2012 7:58 AMModerator
Have your installed License server with CALs? Also check the terminal server use this terminal licensing server. I suspect the grace period has expired on this server.
Terminal Server Licensing grace period
Configure the Number of Simultaneous Remote Connections Allowed for a Connection
TechNet Community Support
Monday, July 16, 2012 4:29 PM
Thank you for your reply, but none of these applied in my case. Thank you for the reference to the exact policy location; that was good to know; however, it seems to make a registry change that persists even after the policy is no longer applied.
This was a bit of a crisis here, so I wound up calling Microsoft P$$ and got the answer after an hour or so. It turns out that I needed to change the value at: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\MaxInstanceCount. The policy had changed this to 1. I changed the value to 999999 in decimal, which is a code for unlimited connections. If I wanted to limit it to a specific number of connections, I would have entered the desired number of connections there.
Thanks again for replying. Maybe this can help someone else in the future.