Monday, March 04, 2013 4:29 AM
I have deployed RDS 2012 for multi tenancy purposes and have a few questions:
Some information on our setup:
We have 1 DC, 1 RDS Gateway/Connection Broker/Web Gateway. Tenants are configured in to collections.
1) Does anyone know why there is such a huge delay in opening a Remote Desktop connection? It's 30 seconds or more.
2) Why do you need to edit the registry to allow remote apps and be able to connect to the servers? (See http://infused.co.nz/2013/03/04/rds-publish-remote-desktop-with-remote-apps/)
3) How can I easily manage the users Metro screen? We have office 2013 installed, but the icons only show on the administrator login. We only want to display these icons as well as the Desktop icon.
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:02 AMModerator
1) Could you please specify some more in what part of the login process you notice this delay?
2) With Windows Server 2012 Remote App and Full Desktops are published through Session Collection. A Session Collection can be of two different types. A Session Collection of type Remote Apps is used to only publish Remote Apps and a Session Collection of type Remote Desktop is used to only publish the Full Desktop. By default an empty Session Collection is of type Remote Desktop and thus publishes the full desktop. As soon as you publish a 1st Remote App to that Session Collection the type is change and the published Full Desktop will be gone. In other words mixing Remote Apps and Full Desktop in a single Session Collection is not supported by Microsoft. As such, according to Microsoft; to publish both Remote Apps and a Full Desktop in a single Deployment, and thus on a single RD Web Access page, you need to create an additional Session Collection. Do note that this also requires setting up additional RD Session Host server(s) since RD Session Host servers can only be a member of a single Session Collection. The workaround you mention is officially not supported. Also note that because the management console does not know about your registry change, it could get reverted when i.e. adding additional remote apps or performing other actions inside the management console.
3) In this blog post I describe a way to pre-define the Modern UI Start Screen specifically for RD Session Host servers: http://microsoftplatform.blogspot.nl/2012/11/predefining-and-customizing-modern-ui.html
- Marked As Answer by Aiden_CaoMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:02 AM