Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:21 PMI am running Windows Server 2008 R2 and as soon as i updated to Service Pack 1 Remote Desktop Connection no longer works, I am a MCTS in Windows 7 and work for a it support company who has the same problem on a clients server so any feedback would be much appreciated.
Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:43 PM
In the event viewer, under System Logs check if you see Service Control Manager errros for Remote Desktop Services terminated or so.
What client are you connecting from, i guess it Windows 7.
Sanket. J Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Monday, April 16, 2012 10:27 AMModerator
I have seen this occur. I recommend you logon to the physical console, open Control Panel -- Windows Update, click Check for updates, and then install all important updates. After restarting please test to see if the issue has been solved. If not, I recommend you first remove KB2667402 and KB2621440, restart, then check for updates again and re-install them (2621440 & 2667402).
In the specific case I saw 2621440 was installed to a 2008 R2 RTM, then SP1, RDP crashing, then installing 2667402 fixed it. In other reported cases 2621440 and 2667402 were already installed and installing additional updates and restarting fixed it.
Please reply back with your results as well as details of which hotfixes/service pack 1 you had installed prior to breaking and then which hotfixes you installed to fixed the issue. This will help narrow down the problem.
Monday, April 23, 2012 2:58 PM
I have exact the same setup with R2 and installed SP1 later. Altho i tryed to remove update KB2667402 and KB2621440 it didn't solved the problem. With or without these updates, my RDP is crashing.
- Edited by MC_____ Monday, April 23, 2012 3:00 PM
Monday, April 23, 2012 3:19 PMModerator
1. After removing the two updates, did you restart and then download and re-install them? Here are the links to download them:
Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2667402)
Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2621440)
2. Did you go to Control Panel -- Windows Update, click Check for updates, and then install all important updates?
3. Which version of rdpcoremkts.dll do you have in C:\Windows\System32 on your server?
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:07 AM
I did reinstall them through Windows updates after removing and rebooting in the 1st place.
Version number is 6.1.7600.16952
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:33 AM
Oke i just figured it out. Guess the hotfix doesn't copy the right version of the rdpcoremkts.dll. Its still the old version after installing it.
I followed these steps wich made it work perfectly again.
1) Connect remotely to affected server using the Computer Management Console
2) Stop the Remote Desktop Services
3) Take Ownership of file C:\Windows\System32\rdpcorekmts.dll and assign full NTFS permissions to your account
4) Rename file to rdpcorekmts.old
5) Copy file rdpcorekmts.dll from a non-patched server. I used another one of our domain controllers just to be safe.
6) Start the Remote Desktop Services
Thanks for the help.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:40 AMModerator
The version should be 6.1.7601.17767 for SP1.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:49 PMYes it is now.