Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:37 PMHi,
I have a number of web services on a windows server.
These web services are for a client program (in vb.net) to access and retrieve data.
This client program are launch for individual user's PC.
The above setup is in a windows domain.
Currently, the web services allow anonymous access. Meaning, anyone in the organisation, with the correct URL is able to trigger the web service.
We are requested to remove the anonymous access and setup any form of authentication.
1. What is the best practice to setup authentication for a windows web service.
2. We also have a couple of unix servers. They are required to access the web services (with the correct authentication). How can I achieve a crossed environment setup?
Thanks in advance.
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:27 PM
1) there is no universal answer. To access web service you can use any supported authentication method depending on application requirements and account database type. You can use common types like: basic authentication, integrated authentication, ASP.NET (forms) authentication, certificate-based authentication and so on.
2) you chould check which authentication types are supported by your unix clients.
this is very general and abstract question, so don't wait for specific answers.
Friday, December 07, 2012 8:45 AM
So if i were to use integrated authentication for my windows web services, eg. giving access to "mydomain/readonlygroup"
What do i need to do on the Unix machine to allow access for this web service?
Friday, December 07, 2012 4:06 PMyou have to enable integrated (aka windows authentication) authentication support on client.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:40 AMModerator
As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.
Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:55 AM
I'm asking what should I do on Unix end.
I cannot be passing a clear text password over the windows web service, is there a way that i can do integrated authentication as well?
Take note its on Unix server.
Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:19 AM
> I'm asking what should I do on Unix end.
sorry, this is Windows platform support forum, not Unix. You should consider to ask the question on your OS support forums.
- Proposed As Answer by Vadims PodansMVP Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:19 AM