Friday, March 23, 2012 2:58 PM
These three updates applied fine to 4 of the eight DC's I manage but failed on the other 4. The servers that worked are a mix of 2003 R2 Standard and 2003 Enterprise. THe ones that fail are a mix of 2003 R2 Standard and 2003 Standard
Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:32 AM
start by examining the windowsupdate.log file on a "problem" client, and compare with a "good" client.
then, compare the "problem" client with the other "problem" clients.
any common issues? are these "problem" clients recording errors with WUA in general?
is WUA working ok at all on these "problem" clients - are any updates applying to the "problem" clients?
PS: please don't be tempted to post huge logs here, they are very difficult to read via this platform.
Monday, March 26, 2012 6:56 AMModerator
Try to have a clean restart of these 4 problematic DCs,and manually download and copy to these 4 DCs,and patch them to see whether it works. If failed, pls provide the error info in the event log to us for troubleshooting.
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:05 PMThanks for the suggestion. I was able to download and install the three patches in question on two of the four servers. After examining the logs I have determine that the problem is that the patches are not physically in the WSUS server in the location that is specified by the "file information" tab (and where the requesting server is expecting it. Tee systems that were successfully installed happened closer to the original distribution of the patch. These remaining units were not dealt with until recently and would seem that the file has been removed from the server. I have tried going to the Update Catalog and downloading/importing the patches again and while it says it completed successfully the patches are still not physicaly there. Is there a way to force WSUS to reload these missing files?
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:09 PMI appreciate your pointing me in the direction of the log file. Through investigation of good and problem I have determined that the actual file is missing from the WSUS server. The log indicates where it expects to find the file and that is in agreement with where WSUS says the file is but in reality there is no file. I have tried to download/import the file through the Update Catalog but is still does not physicaly appear in the indicated directory tree.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:50 PMModerator
The log indicates where it expects to find the file and that is in agreement with where WSUS says the file is but in reality there is no file.
While I do not doubt the file is missing, that fact is inconsistent with your original post. In that post you stated that the update installed on some Win2003 systems, but not on some others. For the update to install on any Win2003 system, it would have had to be present on the WSUS server. It might be useful to track down the actual *download* times for the machines that did install -- could point out the when that the file went missing.
Inspection of the WindowsUpdate.log on the machines that did not install would indicate the missing file by the presence of HTTP 404 errors during the download task.
I have tried to download/import the file through the Update Catalog but is still does not physicaly appear in the indicated directory tree.
To repair a 'missing file' on a WSUS server, run the command wsusutil reset from the %ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools folder.
Importing from the catalog would be appropriate if the *update* were missing, not the file associated with the update.
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
- Marked As Answer by Clarence ZhangModerator Monday, April 02, 2012 2:28 AM