Why Cisco VPN Client fails to enable virtual adapter in Windows 8? This doesn't allow me to connect to my University network.

Question

• Cisco VPN clinet is re-installed after upgrading to Windows 8 release preview from Windows 7. When I tried to connect to my University network using Cisco VPN, the error message appears saying VPN Client failed to enable virtual adapter. I have never had this error in Windows 7. Can you please look into this and suggest some solution? I would really like to work from home using Cisco VPN Client on Windows 8 release preview.

You guys have done a great job in re-imagining windows to a very new level. I am loving every bit of it. Thanks for your efforts.

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Nicholas,

Thank you so much for the link of thread. The solution of editing registry provided by Mr. Raman worked very well. Now, I am able to connect using Cisco VPN Client. For others benefit, I am pasting Mr. Raman's solution below.

Hi Everyone,

Just to update, the legacy Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0440 for x64, 5.0.07.0410 for x86) is working for some people. You need to apply a small workaround as explained below –

·    Open Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt
    ·    Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA
    ·    Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.
    o    For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”
    o    For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”
    ·    Try connecting again

Please do revert back if this solution does not work.

Regards,
    Raman

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

As the issue is related to Cisco VPN client, it is also recommended that you contact Cisco Support for help and see if there will be a new version which will fix the issue or if they have other constructive suggestions:

CISCO - Support and Downloads

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/support/index.html

Meanwhile, I noticed the following thread about Cisco VPN client issue, please also refer to it:

Windows 8 and (Cisco) VPN
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6fe817f3-27fe-4068-995a-aced4508ee3e/

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Thank you so much for the link of thread. The solution of editing registry provided by Mr. Raman worked very well. Now, I am able to connect using Cisco VPN Client. For others benefit, I am pasting Mr. Raman's solution below.

Hi Everyone,

Just to update, the legacy Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0440 for x64, 5.0.07.0410 for x86) is working for some people. You need to apply a small workaround as explained below –

·    Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA
    ·    Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.
    o    For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”
    o    For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”

Regards,
    Raman

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Thanks Mr. Raman. It worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by pavankona Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:06 PM
  • The correct key inside 'services' is NOT CVirtA but something like 'vpnva'. I had to do that twice: First in Developer Preview and then in Release Preview.
    • Proposed as answer by mario.marzuki Friday, January 18, 2013 12:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by mario.marzuki Friday, January 18, 2013 12:42 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Agreed.  64-bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview.  Rename value of the key in CVirtA resolved issue, no reboot required. 

Meengla's suggested key does not exist anywhere in my registry (even with a great deal of liberty for "like".)

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Hi Everyone,

Regards,
    Raman

thanks! worked perfectly!
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Muchisimas Gracias funciono de maravilla.

Saludos

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Thank you, Vipulkumar, editing the registry as you listed here helped. No more Cisco VPN Client "fails to enable virtual adapter". Most helpful.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Worked for me...thanks!
    Friday, September 07, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Hi Everyone,

Regards,
    Raman

It also work for Windows 8 RTM, Thanks!
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Wow the above solution by Raman works perfectly. Tried it on x64 version of Cisco VPN Client running Windows 8 x64 Release Preview.
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thx!

Working perfectly!

Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Thanks very much, Vipulkumar, that's works perfect on my win8; most helpful;
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:22 AM
  • this also work for me, but the connection is so slow (has anyone got the same problem?)

Regards Chris

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Thanks a lot. That helps... I was able to connect VPN on windows 8::)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:00 PM
  • This worked, but I also noticed when using VPN, browsing crawls. I noticed when I ran NSLOOKUP, it pulled my company's internal DNS server. Could it be split tunnel is not working?
    Friday, October 05, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Thanks, it worked great!!!
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Raman

I have tried your registry fix in Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit but I still have the same problem, Cisco VPN fails to connect.  Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks!.

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Thank you very much, it's working.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:29 PM
  • This didn't work for me but exporting the registry settings from windows 7 and importing them into windows 8 fixed the issue.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Thanks for Mr. Raman... It worked for me also :)...
    Friday, October 19, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi Raman,

You suggested one has to go the below path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

But, I do not have the last option of CVirtA. Can you help please?

Thanks,

Ashok

Monday, October 29, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Worked for me on the full Windows 8 Pro x64
    Monday, October 29, 2012 11:55 PM
  • this works perfect - thank you so much
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi Raman,

You suggested one has to go the below path.

But, I do not have the last option of CVirtA. Can you help please?

Thanks,

Ashok

I'm having the same issue... CVirtA doesn't exist.  items go from CscService to CVPND
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Raman,

I owe you one. Your suggestion worked for me perfectly. I can connect via VPN wiht Cisco Client under Windows 8.

Thank you very much.

J

Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Vipul,

This didn't worked for me?? Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Rajiv

Monday, November 05, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Many Thanks; that worked perfect for me. No need of restart also. :) 

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:47 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me on Windows 8 Pro. Thanks a ton!
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:21 PM
  • worked perfectly,

thank you very much!

regards,

Tobias

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Thx!

Working perfectly!

Thank you so much

Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:11 AM
  • worked for me too! Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Hello

This did the trick,

Thanks a lot

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Thanks Vipul - it worked fine. I was desperately looking for VPN client to work after upgrading to Windows 8.

- Shovick

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:27 AM
  • I am afraid that

is not complete solution.

I have sucessfully installed and I am using Cisco VPN client on 32bit version Windows 8. But not on 64bit version (5.0.07.0440-k9-X64 and 5.0.07.290-X64). Client is conected, routes seems to be o.k.  But I can not reach remote network. I cannot reach dns or any other IP address.

I am not using any other 3party AV or firewall for this purpose.

I have 32bit  client installed on Virtual box XP machine inside my W8 64bit machine, I can work, but I am very disatisfied with such solution  (W8= hypervisor for XP :o).

Thank you for any tips.

• Edited by Jiri Cvrk Monday, November 19, 2012 1:50 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Hi Vipulkumar

I'm using VPN client version 5.0.07.0290 for x86 and the workaround worked for me :-)

Thank you

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:18 AM
  • I am afraid that

is not complete solution.

I have sucessfully installed and I am using Cisco VPN client on 32bit version Windows 8. But not on 64bit version (5.0.07.0440-k9-X64 and 5.0.07.290-X64). Client is conected, routes seems to be o.k.  But I can not reach remote network. I cannot reach dns or any other IP address.

I am not using any other 3party AV or firewall for this purpose.

I have 32bit  client installed on Virtual box XP machine inside my W8 64bit machine, I can work, but I am very disatisfied with such solution  (W8= hypervisor for XP :o).

Thank you for any tips.

I have the exact problem. pls help...
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Raman,

Thank you, that worked perfectly.

Regards, 

Praveen.

Praveen

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Same here: It worked on Cisco x64 version 5.0.07.0290 with Windows 8
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Worked great for me using Cisco VPN 5.0.07.0440 for x64 - thank you Vipulkumar Patel!!!!
    • Edited by gray_fox_9 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Zhao Qingyuan Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zhao Qingyuan Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Yep, worked for me on 64 bit win8. 
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Thanks vipulkumar. Its really worked in windows 8. Thanks for the solution...

Solution Finder

Friday, November 30, 2012 11:56 AM
  • I am using Windows 8 x64 bit Pro; my attempt to connect to Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0290for x64)with said solution doesn't work.

Help please.

Maanoj

Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

I confirm, worked for Win8 Pro x64 also.

Thank you

Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:29 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me on Windows 8 Pro.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:49 AM
  • The registry editing workaround described earlier (email from Raman quoted) made Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0440 worked for me under Windows 8 Pro from early November 2012 until December 9, 2012. The client was notably slow to connect, but would connect, and worked. Beginning yesterday, it would still connect, but I could not reach any IP addresses, not even my home router. I don't know whether something changed in Windows 8 or in my institutions's VPN configuration. I installed ShrewSoft 2.1.7, imported the Cisco client files, and it works fast and apparently flawlessly.
    • Edited by KlemensMeyer Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MaXi32 Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Just fixed this with great results in Windows 8 Enterprise x64.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Hi 

Ca fonctionne tres bien pour la version Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0290 sous windows 8 pro 64 Bits 

Merci

• Edited by gmirlt Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:24 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Thanks its working :)
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:13 PM
  • this work around also worked for me with Windows 8 Pro for my home computer that was running Windows 7

I have a 32 bit machine but worked also. the wording I used was "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter" and signed in and it works now.

You have saved me hours of frustration.

Thanks,

Bill

Chicago 12/31/2012

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:04 AM
  • Worked perfectly!  Thank you sooo much for posting.  Saved me a considerable amount of time!!  

Best Regards,

Michael

Friday, January 04, 2013 3:35 AM
  • hi, this is working when i am using LAN or WIFI connectivity but it is nt working when i am connecting using a dongle(modem) Vpn conection is establishing but after that packets are not sending and receiving on virtual adapter 
    Friday, January 04, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi all, Thanks Mr. Raman, my Cisco VPN is now working on Windows 8. Now I can connect to SAP. Great!

Regard,

Zeshan Ali

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Thanks Raman. It worked brightly to me

Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Hi all,

Had similar issues on x64 working properly after connect.  What I have to do after a restart is disable and enable all my network adapters (wifi, 3G, LAN etc) and they will work again.

Could be network driver related, I'm not sure but this workaround seemed to work for me.

Jason.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Thought I had this fixed.  But after working for a while, now the VPN will not receive packets.

On a remote network, a Win7 PC conects fine and can ping all of the main network

a Win8 machines appears to connect fine and gets an IP address, but statistics show only out going traffic.  If the remote Win8 machine is pinged from the main network.  Packets show as being received on the WIn8 but the ping fails. 

any ideas?

Bob Salomon

Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Gracias por la ayuda.

Friday, February 08, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Same for me i thought i is fixed but still facing the issue. I am able to connect to VPN but after that it does not work. 
    Monday, February 25, 2013 11:54 AM
  • The problem with regedit sometimes fix this. But I was having the same issue anyway.

Then tried stopping the service "Internet Connection Sharing" and now works perfectly :-)

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Try stopping the service "Internet Connection Sharing" 
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:05 PM
  • ICS is Disabled on my computer, so that is not the answer.

Thanks

Bob

Bob Salomon

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi all, I just went through this and wanted to drop in a note.  If you do not have the CVirtA folder under your registry (and I did not either), it could have been deleted during the upgrade.  There are two ways to get it back, import that folder from a computer that has that folder still on it.  or Re-install the Cisco VPN.  I did the latter.  

I uninstalled the Cisco VPN Software, re-installed, it came up with all my connections and the same error.  This time I went into regedit and the CVirtA folder was there.  Corrected the display name as detailed above, and it started working.

Convert DTS to SSIS | Document SSIS | 30+ SSIS Tasks | Real-time SSIS Monitoring | Quick Starts | BI Blitz

Monday, April 01, 2013 12:53 PM
  • I saw a lot of people stating that they didn't have the correct registry path for this. I can only assume it is due to different versions of Cisco VPN or perhaps that some users are upgrades from Win7 and others are clean installs. Regardless, I didn't have the listed registry path either, but I still found the key in another location and performed the workaround.

For me, the key was located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva

Otherwise, the fix was the same. I just removed the extra garbace in front of the text "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows" and I no longer got driver error messages when attempting to connect.

Crash

Friday, April 05, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Lifesaver! Took me 1.5 mins  from I first googled the problem until it was fixed...I'd never in a million years figure that out on my own. Thank you :)

Lumbago
    www.thefirstsql.com

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Mr. Raman's solution worked like a charm. I finally could successfully be able to connect to my work VPN from my new Windows 8. Thanks a lot to both Mr.Raman and Mr. Vipul for sharing the information.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:57 AM
  • The correct key inside 'services' is NOT CVirtA but something like 'vpnva'. I had to do that twice: First in Developer Preview and then in Release Preview.

Hi, 

I found the my string was different to those mentioned and found the actual issue is the garbeled text infront of the string in the  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\vpnva

e.g. @oem4.inf,%vpnva_Desc%;Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64  becomes Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64 by removing the first part. I can presume the string changes for different versions etc. So I would suggest a. backing up your whole string prior and b. keeping your string but removing the first part only.

I did this and straight away it worked.

While the answer from Raman was not complete, it certainly was well on the right track to resolving the issue.

Much appreciated.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Here is the almost official Cisco supported solution for this issue.  Cisco came out with a new device to compete with the SonicWall TZ200 series called an ISA550.  With Cisco's help we have implemented this device in front of UC540s.  Windows 8 users can now use the latest version of Cisco AnyConnect VPN client and connect  to the internal network. We haves used IP Communicator on a Windows 8 Tablet connected to cell phone hot spot VPN into the ISA550 and it works great.  

Contact me if there is any interest in the solution.  It is fairly complex and only two Cisco techs know how to do it. One tech told me it was impossible to do, so be persistent. The ISA550 is not CCA compliant so this adds to the challenge

Bob

Bob Salomon

• Proposed as answer by bobsmon Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:00 PM
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:00 PM
  • worked for me.

THANKS

JHL

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:29 PM