This forum is for General Discussions on Small Business Server 2011, 2008, 2003 R2, 2003 SP1, 2003 and earlier. NNTP Bridge Client available if you want to participate via a Newsgroup reader. Read Sticky Post at the top of the forum.
How to Successfully Post a Question to SBS Forum:
Here are a few suggestions that make it sure you get the best answer to your question as quickly as possible:
1. Search the Forum for your question -- Quite possibly someone may have already answered your question, and you won't have to spend time waiting for it to be answered again.
2. If Possible Run SBS Best Practices Analyzer. (It often can help you fix problems on your own.)
SBS2011 Best Practices Analyzer Standard download from Here Link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15556
Note In addition for SBS2011 you'll also need to download Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2.0 Here Link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=16475
SBS2008 Best Practices Analyzer Download from Here Link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=130639
SBS2003 Best Practices Analyzer Download from Here Link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3874527A-DE19-49BB-800F-352F3B6F2922&displaylang=en
3. Make sure your posting Subject or "title" summarizes the specific problem you have --
A question with a title of "Urgent! Help needed!" is not as likely to get
answered as quickly a question with a title of "How to configure my firewall to open port 80".
A more specific, detailed title is far more likely to get a better response than a general one.
4. Post what version of SBS you have. and service Packs, This helps people know where you are at.
We can tell what version of Exchange you are using etc and sharepoint. (If different please tell.)
(Not all details are necessary, but try to include any relevant information.)
5. Avoid if possible "Me Too" Posts! I'm guilty of this also, but unless it's exactly the same thing and you have some "Added information" you distract from the original post. If you question if your issue is different Please make a new post.
6. Keep with the same thread. do not refer to a post you made last year, and above all, Please come back. There are hundreds and thousands of posts where I've seen people given great and wonderfully long answers yet no reply from the original poster.
7. If you do post a question, be courteous to reply even if it's to say. "I've given up" or thanks that worked.
(This helps the whole community when you do this, and makes the people who donate time, warm and fuzzies.)
8. Give details about your problem -- rather than " It won't work, please help!", provide some details like Error Codes, statements like, "Program starts, it gets to a part to install xxx and 2/3rds of the way and then does this.", Links to Screen Shots and images also help. Also search for any error
messages in logs etc. Other basic things like it was working before I did this, or it stopped working after I installed this. also helps.
9. Give Positive FeedBack: Once you've received a correct answer to your question, either from a Microsoft employee, an MVP, or the community in general, please reply that the issue or question has been answered. And if possible mark the solution as answered: This step is important, since it lets other people benefit from your posts.
In addition Please Vote as "helpful" replies that contribute to the answer or lead to resolution of the issue.
Reminder most answers are from volunteers. MVP's do not get paid by Microsoft.
Many of them have REAL jobs and answer questions for FREE!
Thank You and I hope you take the pay it forward philosophy that has made this forum a success.
Russ Grover SBSMVP July 2009 - July 2011
How to use your own NNTP News Reader instead of the web, to access SBS Forum:
For any of you struggling with the Web interface, and
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
Microsoft has developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
Microsoft NNTP Bridge
Another "Non Microsoft" supported NNTP Bridge can be found here
This SBS Forum is group: Technet.en-US.smallbusinessserver
Note: The drawback to using these NNTP Bridges are that you are not able to VOTE posts as Helpfull or mark your post as Answered.
(We still urge you to reply to if the solution worked for you however, this benefits everyone.)
SBS Best Practices Analyzer
In troubleshooting SBS issues, we will often ask whether you have run the SBS (2003/2008) Best Practices Analyzer (BPA).
BPA examines a server that is running Windows Small Business Server and then presents a list of information and errors, which are sorted by severity, that you should review. The list describes each issue, and it provides a recommendation about what you should do to resolve the issue. The recommendations are developed by the product support organization for Windows SBS.
Edit by Nick Whittome 04/09/2011
For SBS 2011, there is a requirement to install
Looking for the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Beta Forums?
Filtering and SortingUse these options to narrow down the question and discussion list.
- 1268Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]MVPSunday, April 28, 2013 6:28 PM
- 204874Susan BradleyMVPThursday, December 13, 2012 1:53 AM
- 55443Jim WillsherMicrosoft Community ContributorFriday, June 22, 2012 7:34 AM
- 103146776Fang Xie Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:12 AM
- 11104MWebjorn Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:23 PM
- 589Codewize Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:16 AM
- 328986Pevidal Friday, June 18, 2010 6:32 AM
- 229ms-support 22 hours 20 minutes ago
- 221RonPass 11 hours 30 minutes ago
- 016Citrapete 5 hours 46 minutes ago
- 137Jonathan Horne 19 hours 16 minutes ago
- 135Timoteob 19 hours 13 minutes ago
- 11112NicolasG80 Monday, May 13, 2013 6:36 PM
SBS 2003 RWW Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202)Carneno Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:51 PM
- 030MartinDurham 9 hours 8 minutes ago
- 129AMBW 14 hours 42 minutes ago
- 018Andrew617 11 hours 46 minutes ago
- 238rraval 16 hours 10 minutes ago
- 132chrisp666-666 18 hours 35 minutes ago
Migrated to SBS 2011 from 2003 (new hardware and software) -- New server looking for the old server in some cases.robertwilliam9 Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:44 PM
- 3134Risk Factor Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:05 PM
- 2510331One IT NZ Monday, February 07, 2011 10:24 AM
- 141hyperNoddy 20 hours 32 minutes ago
- 358RichardNelson Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:10 AM