Discussion on setting up and deploying Windows Server
Known Issue: After applying KB 953230 WDS stops workingOn 7/8/2008, a security patch was released for DNS by Microsoft and other DNS server vendors. The Microsoft patch was tracked as KB953230 - the documentation on it is here.
As part of the patch, DNS now reserves 2500 UDP ports - including the ports from 64000 to 65000 that WDS uses by default. Because of this, if DNS and WDS are running on the same server, WDS cannot access those ports and so is unable to perform TFTP (required for PXE boot) or Multicast.
To work around this, open the WDS MMC, select your server, and go to Server Properties from the right-click menu or the Action menu. Then on the Network Settings page, set a different range of UDP ports. The best range to choose will depend on what else you are running on your server - you want to pick ports that other server roles and applications are not using. The dynamically allocated ports start from 49152, so your Start port should be at least that.
Filtering and SortingUse these options to narrow down the question and discussion list.
- 375ArnoldMo Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:11 PM
- 7204dylantb1987 Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:02 PM
- 5120hubbardt Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:45 PM
- 2113Desimpel Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:07 PM
- 41407RMARLEY Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:30 PM
- 510435Justin_s Monday, March 07, 2011 1:59 PM
- 53605Carol Fee Monday, June 25, 2012 6:01 PM
- 2119thenational22 Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:17 PM
- 71017Sugarbear_Texas Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:56 PM
- 164Remco de Rooij Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:18 PM
- 192Signalex Monday, May 13, 2013 5:18 PM
- 4274Remco de Rooij Monday, April 22, 2013 9:38 AM
- 51448Sylesh Varghese Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:27 AM
- 2111hgxiaowei Friday, May 10, 2013 11:36 AM
- 46617NevilleIT Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:10 AM
- 284smbrown3706 Friday, May 10, 2013 3:30 PM
- 5168Vielktus Friday, May 03, 2013 9:07 AM
- 295compjmm Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:43 PM
- 73448Max_nl Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:18 PM
- 34637HakimHanisHayfa Monday, June 07, 2010 3:14 AM