none
connect remote Sharepoint with VS 2010

Pregunta

• Hi,

i have test sharepoint test environment and also installed VS Studio 2010 ultimate. VS connect to test environment site. 

my production sharepoint environment is on other domain. when i want to connect my production sharepoint site using test environment  VS studio it fails to connect. 

Cannot connect to the Sharepoint Site from Visual Studio 2010 ...

Please how do i connect to remote /production environment sharepoint site from test environment VS Studio 2010 ultimate .

thx 

iffi

viernes, 13 de abril de 2012 12:23

Respuestas

• Adding and activating a WSP solution manually won't activate the Site or Web level feature inside the solution like it does when deployed directly from Visual Studio.  Check the scope of your features and make sure you activate them in either the Site Collection or Site Features list under Site Actions > Site Settings.  I'm pretty sure that's why you aren't seeing an effect in your list.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

lunes, 16 de abril de 2012 11:27
  • You can't.  The SharePoint projects in Visual Studio are only designed to deploy on the local server using Visual Studio.  There is no way to deploy them to a remote server.  However, the .WSP solutions created by Visual Studio can be copied to a remote server and deployed using either STSADM or PowerShell. (or by uploading in the case of a sandbox solution).  But the deployment menu only works on the local server.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

viernes, 13 de abril de 2012 16:33
  • Paul stork is right. I think you are doing little mistake to understanding remote debugging. You can debug your solution which is hosted on IIS OR SP on your local IIS (developing machine) you can attach w3wp worker process for farm solution and spucworker process for sandbox solution to your visual studio to debug.

you can ask for wsp solution to your production site administrator. 

http://www.abdulazizfarooqi.wordpress.com BizTalk Developer UBL Transformation

viernes, 13 de abril de 2012 18:02

Todas las respuestas

• You can't.  The SharePoint projects in Visual Studio are only designed to deploy on the local server using Visual Studio.  There is no way to deploy them to a remote server.  However, the .WSP solutions created by Visual Studio can be copied to a remote server and deployed using either STSADM or PowerShell. (or by uploading in the case of a sandbox solution).  But the deployment menu only works on the local server.

viernes, 13 de abril de 2012 16:33
  • Paul stork is right. I think you are doing little mistake to understanding remote debugging. You can debug your solution which is hosted on IIS OR SP on your local IIS (developing machine) you can attach w3wp worker process for farm solution and spucworker process for sandbox solution to your visual studio to debug.

you can ask for wsp solution to your production site administrator. 

http://www.abdulazizfarooqi.wordpress.com BizTalk Developer UBL Transformation

viernes, 13 de abril de 2012 18:02
  • Hi,

i develop solution to update list value after adding item. it working fine on test environment. when i copy .wsp file and add solution to live server site it does not work. solution deploy and activated successfully but no effect when adding item in list. no error.

difference in test and live site is just site name/ URL difference of site. nothing else. pls tell what could be an issue and how can i deploy this.

thx.

iffi

lunes, 16 de abril de 2012 10:52
  • Adding and activating a WSP solution manually won't activate the Site or Web level feature inside the solution like it does when deployed directly from Visual Studio.  Check the scope of your features and make sure you activate them in either the Site Collection or Site Features list under Site Actions > Site Settings.  I'm pretty sure that's why you aren't seeing an effect in your list.

lunes, 16 de abril de 2012 11:27
  • Hi Paul,

thx. it worked.

iffi

lunes, 16 de abril de 2012 12:13
  • Does anyone know why Microsoft has done this? I have a development environment where we are coding against multiple servers. Now I am being told we have to change the infrastructure so that we can develop SharePoint apps. Why would I want to put SharePoint on my Development Laptop? NOT COOL!!! Why would I want to use hyper V on my development Laptop and kill the very limited amount of RAM? NOT COOL!!! Why would I want to build a server and install Visual Studio on it just for SharePoint? This is NOT COOL!!! What am I gaining? What was so bad about having a development environment with Tools and a Test server farm with all of my servers both Microsoft and Linux which we develop against? The Test Farm is stable with plenty of resources and the Development Laptops are mobile with limited resources. Please help, this is very confusing and frustrating at best.
    miércoles, 14 de agosto de 2013 13:44
  • That is just the way it is. Don't know what else to tell you. Sounds like your first round of SharePoint Development. To really do development, you have to set up SharePoint and Visual Studio on the same box for DEV. Once completed with DEV, you move your solutions on to stage and PROD via wsp packages. Very simple. Coding against multiple servers or Farms as we call them, is not an issue as long as you package things up correctly in your solution. I do this daily and have never had issue.

Without SharePoint on your DEV environment- How do you expect to build/debug solutions without the backend you are customizing?

What you need to do is- since just about everybody is virtualized- Set up a single Server SharePoint DEV Virtual Machine with Win Server 2008r2, SQL Server 2008 r2, SharePoint Server 2010, and Visual Studio 2010. Then RDP into it to do your work. I have been doing this for years.  I have had no issue with this design with even the crappiest of corporate bloat-ware infused laptops.  As developers you should have an MSDN license, so your VM should be covered as far as the software. Every place I have worked, has never had a problem getting whatever I needed to develop, this never has taken more than an email or impromptu conversation to set up.  Configuration isn't hard and takes minimal time. Heck, 3 weeks ago I set up a DEV environment and a Stage Farm by myself in a day, this even included a upgrade to sp2. It's just all about knowing what your doing, having the install packages and having your scripts ready.

Really, if this is such a issue for you, I wouldn't do SharePoint development. Because once you see how temperamental/picky things can be at times while developing, you may just decide to stick with pure .NET without the SharePoint.. I would say if you aren't a good SharePoint Admin already, don't waste your time even beginning coding.

• Editado James Bolin jueves, 15 de agosto de 2013 0:38
    jueves, 15 de agosto de 2013 0:37
  • First, you can do development for SharePoint without installing Visual Studio on the server.  But if you do development on a development workstation you won't be able to make use of any of the project templates that Microsoft developed.  You can do development without them.  But you'll be building everything starting with a class library and will have to manually configure everything.  Its possible but its also a lot of extra work.  To streamline the process Microsoft had to design it so that you were working locally on the server.  That's why they did it and that's why you want to do it that way.  Because if you don't do it that way its still possible, but its 3 to 4 times as much work.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group

• Propuesto como respuesta Noel A. Garcia lunes, 09 de junio de 2014 15:11
    viernes, 16 de agosto de 2013 17:19
  • Thanks
    lunes, 09 de junio de 2014 15:11