none
Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

Pregunta

• When I try to open my Security Center, I get this error...

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working.  I fixed it once with System Restore, however there have been other issues such as Windows Explorer crashing that I had to do system restores on also to fix those problems.  Seems I am going back and forth here with system retore.  I fix one problem, but it restores other problems again.  Now I have done system restore a few times and have BOTH problems. My host process has stopped working again AND my windows explorer crashes as well. I cannot do a search for the Rundll files because NOW I am crashing when I try to search as well.  I think microsoft jumped the gun  on releasing this VISTA.....So many things have gone wrong with it just in the two weeks I have had it.  XP was great....havent they heard of the saying "If there isn't anything wrong with it, don't fix it!"....I'm really frustrated here and hope someone can figure a solution to this problem!

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: rundll32.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1

Fault Module Name: StackHash_dfaf

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000af1c9

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: dfaf

Additional Information 2: 8ddf2cddd47ad5499a4f3969c0451cfd

Additional Information 3: 4ced

Additional Information 4: b1abbee0120bbb43f210eec599fa6fc1

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: explorer.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b091

Fault Module Name: StackHash_4488

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000af1c9

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 4488

Additional Information 2: 9da971cd13003fc0b2d2600f99dccf2d

Additional Information 3: 7b60

Additional Information 4: 5491701280486ee7cf99fb635fabda1d

Please help!

viernes, 16 de marzo de 2007 11:58

Respuestas

• Have you run a full disk check to make sure you aren't dealing with data corruption on your drive?  If that isn't at least part of the issue, have you tried disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)?

DEP always results in AppCrashes for me so I ended up disabling it entirely.  I have installed some XP drivers and software so I'm not entirely surprised that I've encountered this.  If you've done the same this might be part of the issue.

You might want to try this, but be aware that you are disabling a rather important protection feature of Windows...

To turn DEP completely off in Vista open a command window (or click on Start/Run and type cmd and hit return) and type the following:
    bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

To turn DEP back on:
    bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

In Vista, the effect is immediate - no reboot required.

DEP can be somewhat fine tuned through the GUI...

- Right click Computer, select properties (or CP/<Classic View>/System)
    - Select Advanced System Settings (in the left pane)
    - Advanced tab (you should already be there)
    - Click Settings under Performance
    - Select the Data Execution Prevention tab
    - Select "Turn on DEP for all programs..."
    - Click Add and browse to \Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe
    - You might also want to add \Windows\explorer.exe

This is rather extreme (and should only be done temporarily for troubleshooting), so you might want to consider backing up and reinstalling if no better solution is found for you.  I realize that's a huge hassle, but better safe than convenient - Vista is definitely more robust than XP, but when it breaks it seems to break really bad - as you've experienced.

Good luck!

sábado, 17 de marzo de 2007 21:54
  • Hey I seemed to have fixed the problem with Vista and Sony Vegas - although I don't know which issue fixed it. 

I followed the advice of adding the DLL files to the DEP exception list but I also noted that the file "vegasmovie80.exe" file was listed when I clicked for more details on the original crash.  So I browsed to that file and added it to the DEP exception list too.  Vegas came right up afterwards.  What I don't know is if it was Rundll.32 addition or the Vegas executable that made the difference.  Who cares!  It's working now!
    viernes, 14 de diciembre de 2007 17:41

Todas las respuestas

• Have you run a full disk check to make sure you aren't dealing with data corruption on your drive?  If that isn't at least part of the issue, have you tried disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)?

DEP always results in AppCrashes for me so I ended up disabling it entirely.  I have installed some XP drivers and software so I'm not entirely surprised that I've encountered this.  If you've done the same this might be part of the issue.

You might want to try this, but be aware that you are disabling a rather important protection feature of Windows...

To turn DEP completely off in Vista open a command window (or click on Start/Run and type cmd and hit return) and type the following:
    bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

To turn DEP back on:
    bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

In Vista, the effect is immediate - no reboot required.

DEP can be somewhat fine tuned through the GUI...

- Right click Computer, select properties (or CP/<Classic View>/System)
    - Select Advanced System Settings (in the left pane)
    - Advanced tab (you should already be there)
    - Click Settings under Performance
    - Select the Data Execution Prevention tab
    - Select "Turn on DEP for all programs..."
    - Click Add and browse to \Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe
    - You might also want to add \Windows\explorer.exe

This is rather extreme (and should only be done temporarily for troubleshooting), so you might want to consider backing up and reinstalling if no better solution is found for you.  I realize that's a huge hassle, but better safe than convenient - Vista is definitely more robust than XP, but when it breaks it seems to break really bad - as you've experienced.

Good luck!

sábado, 17 de marzo de 2007 21:54
  • I'm having the same problem.  Have you learned anything?

RottMom

martes, 03 de abril de 2007 5:37
  • I am also having problems with Vista on a new laptop I ordered from Dell.  Windows becomes unstable and this is visible in the taskbar.  The system tray icons disappear and the windows that are minimized are shifted to the left.  When I try to restart through the start button, it's unresponsive and the only way to restart is through Ctr+Alt+Del.  Sometimes I also get a message that reads "Windows Explorer has stopped working/ Windows Explorer is restarting."  I've had to re-install the operating system again (Vista), but it's still doing the same.  I'm so fed up with this that I've decided to install XP Pro instead, I never had any problems with XP and Microsoft jumped the gun by releasing this crappy operating system, but that's typical.  They'll use the consumer as guinea pigs, and they'll probably get all these bugs fixed by 2009 through their service packs.  Is anyone else out there having similar problems?
    • Propuesto como respuesta canellas miércoles, 21 de abril de 2010 21:34
    martes, 10 de abril de 2007 7:46
  • I am so frustrated with Windows Vista Premium piece of s--t!. I don't understand why Microsoft Had to Change Windows, it was perfectly fine! Why fix something that's not broken? Ever since I bought my laptop I've had problems. I tell everyone I know, NOT TO BUY THIS ***!
    sábado, 14 de abril de 2007 20:31
  • After nearly 12 hours of DSL speed downloads from Sony Vaio, my system now TRULY SUCKS!!  All the error messages I had before have gotten worse.  AAARGH!!!  My stepdad is an IT dude and can't even help.  If I lose anymore data because of this system, I have every intention of initiating a lawsuit...anyone wih me???  We can EASILY find one to take our case on a contigency.

RottMom

domingo, 15 de abril de 2007 7:12
  • I'm getting this same error when trying to open any sort of audio or video production program such as cakewalk or vegas video. I can't imagine that Microsoft would actually make each one of these manufactures update each driver. It is their OS that changed the way these programs work. I just bought a $600.00 Acer Laptop. Unfortunatley I have about $800.00 wrapped up in the cost of media software. Not cool! I really like the OS but most of the software I own isn't working. I tried calling MS but their phone number keeps forwarding over to Capital City Credit Card Company. They keep trying to charge me 59.99 to solve the problem. I bought the computer at best buy...they have a 14 day return policy so if I can't figure this out within the next week its getting returned. MS has been absolutley usless with support.  I emailed support and asked if we could exchange my Vista disk for an XP disk. I also asked Acer this same question. The only thing I can do is return the product and abandon Vista. As users the only control we have is with where we spend our money. (Vote with your wallet) If anybody finds a fix for this problem please let me know. Thanks
    viernes, 20 de abril de 2007 20:54
  • I had copyed de dll32 file from other pc and did not work please...let me know if you have find a solution by now is frustrating, I'm agree XP version is great....
    lunes, 30 de abril de 2007 21:57
  • I got the message every time I go to a new website for example I go to www.yahoo.com it comes then I click Movies-link there and go there it comes etc. every time the adress of the site changes. I am hopeless! What should I do?
    sábado, 05 de mayo de 2007 11:09
  • I am using windows vista but now im getting some problem at my PC. When i am Open my Movie file I got this notice(Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working) But i cant remove this notice from my PC. what will i do ?
    lunes, 23 de julio de 2007 14:16
  •  

I am using windows vista but now im getting some problem at my PC. When I am Open my Movie file I got this notice(Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working) But I cant remove this notice from my PC. what will I do ?

martes, 31 de julio de 2007 0:55
  • I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS WINDOWS VISTA THING. I HAVE SO MANY CASE NUMBERS, CHATS AND ISP  TROUBLE TICKETS HP SHOULD KNOW ME VERY WELL. THEIR TECHS ARE INCOMPETENT. ONE TECH WIPED OUT MY RECOVERY D. WHEN I FIRST GOT MY COMPUTER AN ERROR WAS TELLING ME THAT MY "D DRIVE" HAD NO SPACE TO BACKUP MY FILES. I CALLED THE TECH, AND SHE JUST WIPED "D" OUT. I GOT DICONNECTED FROM CHAT 2 TIMES. I'VE HAD TO CALL MY ISP TO PUT ME BACK ON LINE AT LEAST 2 TIMES A DAY. WHEN I CALLED FOR RECOVERY DISKS{FREE}, IN 3 DAYS THEY SENT ME RECOVERY DISKS FOR WINDOWS VISTA"BUSINESS". WHEN I CALLED BACK TO TELL THEM THEIR MISTAKE , THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD TAKE 1 WEEK FOR DELIVERY. IT HAS NOW BEEN 2 WEEKS AND I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED THE DISKS. I CALLED CHAT BECAUSE MY DVD STOPPED WORKING, HE GAVE  ME A LINK TO DOWNLOAD ANOTHER SORT OF PLAYER.IN THE MEANTIME HE TELLS ME HE DOESN'T HAVE A RECORD OF MY PRODUCT NUMBER. I TELL HIM TO CKECK AGAIN, HE TELLS ME TO CHECK AGAIN. NOW , I'M GETTING IRRITATED. SO I TELL HIM ABOUT MY RECOVERY DISKS ORDER. HE COMES BACK AND ASKS ME ABOUT THE PLAYER HE TOLD ME TO DOWNLOAD. I TOLD HIM I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE. THEN HE SAYS  HE APOLIGES BECAUSE HE DIDN'T ASK ME  WHAT SYSTEM I WAS RUNNING. I THEN ASKED HIM DID HE FIND MY PRODUCT NUMBER. HE SAID YES , ON MY RECOVERY DISK ORDER. HE APOLIGIZED. I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS WHEN MY COMPUTER WAS 9 DAYS OLD. IT IS NOW 35 DAYS OLD AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK  I AM  SO FILLED WITH FRUSTRATION THAT IT'S MAKING ME SICK. THANK GOD I FOUND THIS FORUM TO RELIEVE ME OF A LITTLE OF THIS ANXIETY THIS PROBLEM HAS CAUSED ME.  I ALREADY TAKE MEDS ,BECAUSE OF ANXIETY. I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO UP MY DOSAGE. I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE UNTIL I STUMBLED UPON THIS FORUM. THANK GOD.

sábado, 18 de agosto de 2007 19:19
  • Here's a quick fix that might work for you. Go into to System>Advanced System Settings>Performance>Settings>Data Execution Prevention>Turn on DEP for all Programs and Services except those I select.

Now you must click add and navigate into the System32 folder. Now you need to select dllhost(which is COM Surrogate)  and open it and choose ok to the warning. You'll see COM Surrogate appear with a check box selected.

Now you must do the same thing to add rundll32(which is Windows host process) from the System32 folder. You'll see Windows host process( Rundll32) appear with a check box selected after you choose ok to the warning.

Click okay to close out the Advanced Settings and you should be go to go. Now try to navigate to the folders where the video file thumbnails where crashing or whatever it was you were doing and it should work fine now.

Good Luck Guys

viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2007 2:19
  • Boy, we're with you as we all have the same problem. But with your attitude you may want consider going back to WfW 3.11 or install some Ubuntu or whatever.

Vista works GREAT for me, except some minor glitches. Yeah, I had to throw out quite some hardware in order to migrate (not because it's been outdated but because no drivers were supplied). Yeah, sometimes errors drive me crazy as well. All in all, MS has supplied a good product. Were it as bad as some folks think here - why bother to use ?

Nowwwwww, back to topic. Any news re. rundll32.exe crashing ? I updated ALL Codecs, uninstalled those not being Intended for Vista, used the DEP-patch and scanned system like mad - still, whenever I hover over a avi, mpg, mpeg or rm file rundll32.exe crashes.

sábado, 06 de octubre de 2007 16:38
  • I too have experienced NUMEROUS problems with Vista. I keep getting errors such as "Com Surrgate has stopped working" or "Rundlle32 has stopped working". Then,the Data Protection Execution box comes up. I have tried disabling it but still, it does not work. Every time I try to run Pinnacle Studio 11, which si supposd to be Vista compatitable., I get thses errors.

All in all, I am very disappointed with Microsoft. Now that my 90 days are up, they want $$ to help but they never addressed the probalem correctly in the first place. My summation is that next time, I am going to get a MAC and move on.

lunes, 08 de octubre de 2007 18:24
  •  I cannot do a search for the Rundll files because NOW I am crashing when I try to search as well

sábado, 08 de diciembre de 2007 6:10
  • Well, I would re-install Vista on a wiped and checked harddisk. Make sure that you have updated Graphics drivers (and a Card above 128MB) and updtaed Audio drivers and Chipset drivers.

Install a recent Virus scanner, your Office etc. Do NOT Install DIVX or Codec packs not Supplied by MS. Then check how the system behaves.

If it's OK, check your other proggies. Set a restore point & Make a backup and then try to install one after the other, at some point you'll identify the problem.

My problem could be identified with a FFXshow Video Codec. We must realize that a number of compression formats are not really supported by MS ... especially the extreme compression formats partilaly used in fileshared Videos. We may like it or not, but it's understandable that there is, uh, little support for this.

My Advice: Do not install crude codecs for every exotic format. Refrain from NEMO Codec pack or K-Lite Codec pack and the like. Use VideoLan player (www.videolan.org) for those unsupported videos, it doesn't need Codecs in most cases.

Again, my Vista works great on a Dell 2Core Laptop 1.73GHZ/1GB, a Mediaserver with 2Core Intel 4GHZ/3GB and a Dell Desktop with 3.8GHZ/3GB.

You may want to upgrade to Vista 64 Bit Version, on some Mainboards (Namely Asus and Asrock) that has proven to solve the problem. (don't ask me why, it SHOULDN'T make a  difference....)

Another thing. Both Roxio and Nero are prone to create similar rundll problems. Upgrading to newer Roxio and/or Nero Versions does NOT fix it, that would require manual work in the Registry (which I haven't done, just wiped & all over).

Try to go over it on a free weekend, step by step. If your Hardware is OK you should fix it.

One more thing: Newer MB with dualchannel RAM require TWO IDENTICAL RAM"s. Make sure that's the case.

Check your RAM for errors, VISTA is particulary sensitive with some Corsair RAM's 1 GB/2GB with ECC.

It will run otherwise, but not well....

sábado, 08 de diciembre de 2007 18:47
  • Hey I seemed to have fixed the problem with Vista and Sony Vegas - although I don't know which issue fixed it. 

I followed the advice of adding the DLL files to the DEP exception list but I also noted that the file "vegasmovie80.exe" file was listed when I clicked for more details on the original crash.  So I browsed to that file and added it to the DEP exception list too.  Vegas came right up afterwards.  What I don't know is if it was Rundll.32 addition or the Vegas executable that made the difference.  Who cares!  It's working now!
    viernes, 14 de diciembre de 2007 17:41
  • Tried all that and Windows movie maker still crashed - help what now

lunes, 11 de febrero de 2008 20:44
  • Have you REALLY tried a clean install, or did you just try to wiggle around it ?

My first Vista Installation was an upgrade from MS XP Pro. There were numerous problems, and the more I tried to apply workarounds the worse it got, especially after updating, upgrading and fixing.

Again:

1) Run the Vista Compatibility wizard, make sure your systems meets the requirements. Without at LEAST 1GB of Ram and a 512 MB graphic card Vista will run, but not well... Aero is, uh, rather demanding.

2) Test your HD, make sure there are no cluster errors

3) Test your RAM, make sure Dual rate DDR IS installed in two identical modules. Remember, 32 Bit Widows will NOT recognize RAM in excess of 3 GB

4) Make sure you have ALL Updated drivers FOR VISTA on hand. DO NOT ATTEMPT to use Motherboard, Chipset, Graphic, LAN or sound drivers for XP. They may work or not, but no one will give a warranty.

5) If you use a hacked version of Vista, Scrap it. Buy one, very often that fixes the "problem". 

6) If your onboard sound chip (which is often the case....) is not supported by VISTA, deactivate it and buy a cheap Vista-compatible sound card. It'll cost you 30 bucks or so,and you do spare yourself the permanent hassles.

7) Do a clean install on NTFS. Do NOT Use FAT32, at least not for the Root disk.

8) Do NOT Use Acronis Boot Manager or Lilo from Linux.

9) Install ONE program after the other. Give it time.

10) If you followed the aforementioned list your System will likely run stable, else you have some hardware issue.

Only IF all runs well install ONE program after the other. Make restore points and backups. Yeah, it DOES cost time.If it starts to crash all of a sudden you have identified the proggie which caused the problem. Scrap it or get an updated version.

Last but not Least: Install the MS Updates and fixes ! 

lunes, 11 de febrero de 2008 21:46
  •  

Please I need your help

my computer is crazy and it freeze everytime I use it

it crashes everytime and some times cleses the web im

using.

Please help me It's terrible when you are using something

or you are doing something important and it stop working and

close the program you are usig ..

thank you and i will be waiting for help

lunes, 18 de febrero de 2008 18:44
  • I have exactly the same problem. Have you found how to fix it? Thanks

jueves, 28 de febrero de 2008 20:16
  • I have the same problem!  When I try to open my movie files in a folder the error message appears and keeps coming up!  I really get annoyed by this and want to know what I can do.

• Propuesto como respuesta joester77 jueves, 11 de junio de 2009 16:55
    sábado, 15 de marzo de 2008 20:25
  • the same thing happened to my vista but i bought it as vista, and installed Vista glazz and the upgraded to service pack 1 then vista glazz crashed i removed it and then reinstalled it but its still not working, worse of all my vista fell back onto Windows Clasic and whenever i try to go into personalize it says that Rundlle has stoped working

• Propuesto como respuesta Traisyducks miércoles, 10 de marzo de 2010 4:44
    viernes, 21 de marzo de 2008 17:58

• My computer is new (Gateway FX). It does this very thing over and over. I have reinstalled windows twicw myself and had the Geek Squad do it as well. I have not had over 1 good week at a time with this computer. I am so mad I could throw it through the window at Best Buy. I have no clue what to do. Surely someone is working on a fix for this.
    jueves, 10 de abril de 2008 1:56
  • YES!  The same exact thing happened to me!  I installed VistaGlazz, it was a great, stable program that allowed me to use 3rd party themes to replace the boring basic theme.  Then I installed SP1, only to find out that VistaGlazz isn't compatible!!  I restored the files and removed VistaGlazz, but VG put the original files where they would be if I didn't have SP1.  So, i'm going to try removing and re-installing SP1.  I'll update this post with my results.

EDIT:  Well, I know that SP1 is update KB936330, but, when I looked in installed updates, KB936330 is not there.  But, I found the rundll32 file in system32.  Does anyone know where rundll32 is supposed to be when SP1 is installed?  I'm going to try re-downloading SP1 and installing it, since I can't figure out how to un-install it.

viernes, 11 de abril de 2008 4:27
  • I Had same problem. I found help on this page http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=33331

I ran sfc /scannow and everything works fine now. Now I'm just waiting SP1 compatible VistaGlazz to be released
    jueves, 17 de abril de 2008 7:55
  • OMG!!  I am having the exact same problem after installing VistaGlazz.

I ran the sfc /scannow thing you mentioned and that didn't do anything.  Still have the problem.  Any other fixes would be greatly appreciated. 

Here's the exact error I'm getting:

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
    Application Name:    rundll32.exe
    Application Version:    6.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp:    4549b0e1
    Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version:    6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp:    4791a7a6
    Exception Code:    c0000005
    Exception Offset:    00069bc0
    OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID:    1033
    Additional Information 1:    fd00
    Additional Information 2:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3:    fd00
    Additional Information 4:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:    634217171

domingo, 20 de abril de 2008 3:28
  • For those of you who are getting this problem as a result of using VistaGlazz - I found the solution.  Here it is:

Just download the file and follow the instructions on this page: 

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16977

When it says:

2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32

In case you don't now how to do that, just open a Windows Explorer window (you know like the old File Manager program where you can see all the files and folders on your computer) and in the address bar just copy:

%systemroot%\System32

and press Enter.  Then you'll rename the files as they say in Step 8.  (Try renaming the files first.  If you can, then you can skip Steps 3 - 8.  If you can't rename them, then follow Steps 3-8. 

Anyway, I did it, I rebooted and immediately upon reboot everything was perfect!  Phew! 

domingo, 20 de abril de 2008 6:31
  •  JTechno wrote:
    I have the same problem!  When I try to open my movie files in a folder the error message appears and keeps coming up!  I really get annoyed by this and want to know what I can do.

lunes, 12 de mayo de 2008 3:41
  • Recently downloaded a program from a questionable site ran the .exe and have been screwed ever since.  I was infected by adware my system is so freakin slow now i can hardly do anything.  I have windows xp and have never had any problems till now.  I have McAfee on my system it is all jacked up now and will run so slow it wont finish i left it running for almost a whole day it never finished and had to end up resetting the system because it was so frozen/slow.  I read a lot of rundll.exe have virus associations.  I think this may be my case.  I downloaded spybot and  was able to get rid of somethings but new things are added all the time but i can get on my computer without it dying now,.  I tried to run Ad-Aware 2007 but it ends up crashing my system and restaring- not sure if related to virus or not.  Here is the search associated with rundll.exe if this can help anyone to see if that is the problem.
    RUNDLL32.EXE-13153DEA.pf           C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch      26  KB  PF File
    RUNDLL32.EXE-1831A4F3.pf  
              C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch      44  KB  PF File
    RUNDLL32.EXE-2CD85FD3.pf           C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch      65  KB  PF File
    RUNDLL32.EXE-31610E45.pf            C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch      23  KB  PF File
    RUNDLL32.EXE-4CA2493B.pf           C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch      20  KB  PF File
    rundll32                                           C:\WINDOWS\system32    33  KB  Application

Here are some other .dll files i wasn't sure about they showed up red on my security task manager (couldn't find any info about them):

fvowketqsoq.dll

mlJAttRI.dll

bypfsamp.dll

byXqoLBS.dll

fccdccYR.dll

What else can I do how do I search the rundll.exe to look for mistakes, or any other help would be great to get rid of this persistant problem.

email: grandhelm@hotmail.com

miércoles, 14 de mayo de 2008 22:06
  • Grandhelm

I would recommend that you go to the following website.

AumHa Forums • View forum - Parasites - Adware, Spyware & Other Scumware:
    http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=28

Click the Register link at the top of the page to join the forums. (Free)

Start a new thread and describe the history of these problems, including as much information as possible.

The moderators on that forum specialize in removing spyware and virus.

TIP: You should not post your real email address on any public forum. The spammers regularly run bot's that harvest these email addresses.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

viernes, 16 de mayo de 2008 17:12
    Moderador
  • I too have the worst experiance with Vista and have nothing good to say about it. I have tried all the suggestions for restoring my RUNDLL32 but so far nothing has work. I don't want to formatt because I will loose to much. Does anyone have anything that works ????

domingo, 25 de mayo de 2008 23:02
  • Hi to anyone who is having this problem.

I had a related problem from an error "COM surrogate has stopped working". I found a great site which tells me exactly how to solve the problem here

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fix-for-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working-error-in-vista/

When I solved the problem, I started getting this problem (Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working). So I just did the same solution for the Rundll32.exe file.

Go to Control Panel\System and Maintenance\System\Advanced System Settings

Under Performance, click Settings...

Select Data Execution Protection tab

Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"

Click Add...

Type "Rundll32.exe" then click Open

Click OK for the warning

That should do it. No restart needed. Try doing whatever causes the crash and see if it works. I hope it does as much for you as it did for me.

jueves, 05 de junio de 2008 18:25
  • Where the heck is the solution for this? My windows explorer keeps crashing over and over by itself, it acccumulates dozens of stopped working messages. What has caused this what is the solution?
    lunes, 16 de junio de 2008 4:04
  •  Problem-with-explorer wrote:
    Where the heck is the solution for this? My windows explorer keeps crashing over and over by itself, it acccumulates dozens of stopped working messages. What has caused this what is the solution?

Same here, pisses me off...have tried doing the stop DEP for Rundll32, but no joy.....

Anyone ??

martes, 17 de junio de 2008 7:44
  • I think im having the same problem, but im still using windows XP. I started with just minor things and my ad-aware (2008) found some stuff and so did my McAfee. Got rid of all the programmes that were quarinted and yet i keep getting pop-ups (even though pop-up blocker is on), my security suite is always saying that its not on auto-update, my cookies setting keep changing themselves to the lowest settings and now when i sart my computer i get a rundll32 error when the computer starts up and when i try to open the security suite.

Please tell me there is a way to sort this out.
    martes, 24 de junio de 2008 22:28
  • Necontyr

Follow the instructions in my previous post. Here is the information again.

I would recommend that you go to the following website.

AumHa Forums • View forum - Parasites - Adware, Spyware & Other Scumware:
    http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=28

Click the Register link at the top of the page to join the forums. (Free)

Start a new thread and describe the history of these problems, including as much information as possible.

The moderators on that forum specialize in removing spyware and virus.

The experts on that forum are very good with tracking down and getting rid of malicious programs.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the 'Helpful' button at the top of the message. This allow others to easily find the information. 

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    miércoles, 25 de junio de 2008 1:00
    Moderador
  •  

It sounded do great, until this

"You cannot set DEP properties on 64bit executables"

Sad

Star

lunes, 30 de junio de 2008 16:07
  • Fallingstar

DEP is more strictly enforced in the 64-bit architecture. There is no mechanism to exclude an executable from DEP.

To put it in simple terms, the program that is causing the DEP error, is not compatible and is trying to execute code in a restricted area of memory. This is the exact same behavior that a virus would exhibit.

With the 64-bit version of Vista, the only 2 choices you have is to either not use the incompatible program, or use the recommended procedure and contact the developer or vendor of the offending software and ask them to fix their software to not violate DEP.

For the Vista 32-bit users, it is recommended that the same procedure be followed instead of turning DEP off for the program. Turning DEP off for a program requires careful consideration for the possible results, even though the program may be legitimate.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

lunes, 30 de junio de 2008 19:47
    Moderador
  • my laptop with vista was working fine until just the other day windows sent me an update called service pack  so i dopwnloaded it  and installed it (this took forever and ever) ok finally it was installed pc worked fine until i started getting  tjhe windows host rundll32 has stopped working message when i tried to open pictures and a few other things...i got the windows help message about dep and disabling it but therre is no disable option other then disabling it for each  program you want it disabled for I don't know enough about computers to do the step by step option but  i was wonderibng why microsoft brainchilds did just give you an option to disable across the board or something better then what they did offer us.well anyways i went to programs and deleted the service pak update and now pc is running ok again on vista.why must microsoft make it so difficult for us,now i wonder also am i more suspectible to attacks or hacks. I really think my next pc opr laptop is gonna be an apple computer to avoid all this hassle

miércoles, 02 de julio de 2008 5:15
  •  Jrreeves wrote:
    I Had same problem. I found help on this page http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=33331

I ran sfc /scannow and everything works fine now. Now I'm just waiting SP1 compatible VistaGlazz to be released

Ran cmd as Admin, it threw an error and told me to reboot.  I did, and it worked.
    Thank you.
    viernes, 04 de julio de 2008 1:04
  • Your reply suggests that throwing hardware out is acceptable, that you have limited software of any complexity and had a choice of operating systems. Does working great mean that Vista boots up? And finally, why do you think that ALL codecs should have to be updated or even considered for an OS of the same architecture??? MS managers that I know are frankly embarrassed.
    lunes, 07 de julio de 2008 0:29
  • embarrased *** they should fire themselves maybe with no pay they could and would work on these problems for cash incentives instead of a steady paycheck lol

domingo, 13 de julio de 2008 11:21
  • I get the same message when ever I try to open IE, or try to open my Windows Firewall in order to turn it on.
    I have no idea why, or how to fix it.
    Any suggestions?

martes, 16 de septiembre de 2008 11:48
  • why do you think that ALL codecs should have to be updated or even considered for an OS of the same architecture???

The symptoms indicated in this thread indicate that the codecs in question have code bugs.  They are defective.  "Updating" isn't necessary, but "fixing bad bugs" is helpful if people are going to keep using those codecs.  You would dislike that coming from another vendor (such as Microsoft) so why excuse it for codecs?

I get the same message when ever I try to open IE

Each and every crash is pretty unique, so you would want to post up your unique fault information as found in the Problem Reports and Solutions Center control panel's View Problem History.  Otherwise you might be getting inapplicable advice that wouldn't benefit you.

jueves, 18 de septiembre de 2008 21:09
  • Wow what 2 do hummmmmmm, I 2 have had many issues with vista really getting bothered over it . Its taking alot of my time & money .Shutdowns , rundle32 , stopworking  etcc.... I 've spent many hours online with dell connect ,I've tried 2 be as polite as possible , alot of times its third party appl. or ??? not real comp. saavy here .                                                                                                                                                                               

1,290 operation events, 10,767 admin. events , pc restore twice back ups , ext harddrives , *** Back up your product please b4 someone goes postal , or hacks your email site . What up . Please stop this insane quest & recall your product & repair ?

martes, 30 de septiembre de 2008 5:59
  • LOOK ON PAGE 11 OF THE FORUM. AFROSHREDDER PUT SOMETHING THAT COULD HELP YOU , IT HELPED ME

viernes, 17 de octubre de 2008 8:50
  • I installed Vista Glass, and then I updated the program.

Now my theme is on classic view and im unable to change it.

When ever i try to change the theme i get an error saying:

"Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working"

Now i dont know what to do...

Anyone have any segestions?

martes, 28 de octubre de 2008 1:30
  • OK, sorry if this is repeat info, but this problem was driving me nutty.

Go to your Event Viewer (Administrative Tools) and look at your Application log (Windows Logs folder in Event Viewer, and the first list is Application).  You will have a series of informational messages and errors if you're experiencing this issue.  Look at the most recent Error entry.  It will start with something like "faulting application RunDLL32.exe, version..."

After the version and timestamp, it will list the faulting module.  The point is that it seems like different people are having the issue for different reasons.  Your culprit is whatever faulting module is listed there in the Error report.  The report will include the version number of the problem file, as well.

You may very well see a number of Errors in the log which all mention the same faulting module.  That's a big clue that something's not working on your system/configuration specific to that file.  Maybe one program you installed overwrote the same file written by another program, for example.

In my case, the module was a codec:  CLVSDS.ax.  Once I removed it from the Windows/System32 folder, everything suddenly worked fined again.  I could browse through movie folders (even with the thumbnails on), my DreamScene stopped crashing (at least for now), etc.  I didn't even have to reboot, but will do so anyway, just in case.

Others of you might have a .dll listed, or a different .ax, or something else.  Try to remove it from System32 to at least see if that fixes the problem.  If it does, then you know the issue and can proceed with researching whether you need to update the file, or can live without it, or whatever.

Good luck.  Sorry if I dumbed it down too much, but tried to keep it somewhat simple.

miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2008 4:36
  • Followed that through but i suspect alot of people will have the same answer as me...

"Faulting Module Unknown"!

Still can't stop it. I get the errors in several occasions. this morning it was when i went to 'Personization > choose desktop background' My screen just filled with the rundll32 errors
    miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2008 8:17
  • i have a different, yet simillar problem. random vista chrashes. they usually come when i ry to extract 814mb big file with winrar (file is not corrupt, it once came to 98% and then crash Sad ) or when i try to open search. automatic restart followes, and when vista turns back on, i get the rundll32 has stopped working message.

vista ultimate 32-bit
    nvidia 7300gt (i don't see the connection with this error, but ok)

i already disabled all nvidia files from startup, renamed nero files and i'm out of ideas...
    help pls
    miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2008 9:03
  • Hardy,

If it happens whenever you try to browse a folder with thumbnails of video files in Explorer, try setting the default view for your folders to List or Details (something that won't thumbnail) - purely as a test to verify that you're having the same issue with a video codec.

I suspect you are, since if I understand you it happens when you try to set a DreamScene background, and those are of course video files.

If your Event Viewer (even going back to prior entries) won't give you any hint as to the exact file, you can always try the slightly more tedious approach of going to your System32 folder and making a copy of every *.ax file in there to somewhere else, for safety.  Then, go the one-by-one route until you find the culprit.  Remove/rename one at a time until the problem goes away, or remove/rename them all and turn on one at a time until it breaks.

To narrow down your search, think back to when this first started happening.  Something you installed around that time likely replaced or added a codec.  If you have an idea of the piece of software (Nero, or something for your iPod, or a Roxio/Sonic product, etc.) you can do an Internet Search on that software and its codecs.

Good luck...

domingo, 02 de noviembre de 2008 4:43
  • Zippy,

What does your Event Viewer tell you the problem is?

domingo, 02 de noviembre de 2008 4:45
  • ok ive never been so frustrated in my life for the last 2 days i have been trying to play world of warcraft on my laptop and i have vista and this error (windows host process rundll32 has stopped working) i have tried turning off dep and followed all the steps in alot of forums including this one and it still pops up when i try to launch it i just dont know what to do other than chunk the laptop out the window can someone please help me?

martes, 25 de noviembre de 2008 17:23
  •  

blhall: What's the fault data and bucket number for the rundll32 crash according to the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel's "View Problem History"?

People telling you to turn off DEP are potentially making the problem hidden as opposed to solved.  That could bite you on the posterior in other ways later. Please be careful about turning off DEP.  =\

miércoles, 26 de noviembre de 2008 8:47
  • These fixes seem to have worked for me. Here is some info, which might prove helpful to you:

I have Vista Business 64-bit on an HP Compaq 6710b.

My errors/problems include(d) :

Rundll32 has stopped. / Windows host process has stopped. The graphics on task-bar and some other menus lost primary graphics/skin. (I should add; putting my laptop to sleep still triggered this problem, although it was generally sparatic). 

COM surrogate error: MP Telemetry / Remote access connection manager stopped working.

As well as iTunes playback fragmentation (generally in the first 10-30 seconds.) Note: There is NO file corruption.

Also there have previously been un-needed firewall notices (even when EVERY security option is in green) and some program hesitation sometime extensively enough to cause 'not responding' notices.

Contrary to what has been suggested; this error occurred after an update from Microsoft. Torrent sites or viruses had nothing to do with it. Likely it is just a result of the vast market and variety of programs made for Vista, supported or not, becoming incompatible, or simply causing these system problems. (too many cooks in the kitchen).

On the first page if you search under: Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working; on technet you will find a solution by sevenplaces involving the use of DEP; you can also find similar solutions involving the use of DEP likely in this forum.  

Here are the fixes:

FIX 1:

(by sevenplaces)

Go into to System>Advanced System Settings>Performance>Settings>Data Execution Prevention>Turn on DEP for all Programs and Services except those I select.

Now you must click add and navigate into the System32 folder. Now you need to select dllhost(which is COM Surrogate)  and open it and choose ok to the warning. You'll see COM Surrogate appear with a check box selected.

Now you must do the same thing to add rundll32(which is Windows host process) from the System32 folder. You'll see Windows host process( Rundll32) appear with a check box selected after you choose ok to the warning.

Click okay to close out the Advanced Settings and you should be go to go. Now try to navigate to the folders where the video file thumbnails where crashing or whatever it was you were doing and it should work fine now.

I used this fix, and it DID fix these problems, but there was something else wrong with it yet. The error: Host process for windows services still came up. So, after quite a bit of digging, I found the solution.  

This is a direct cut-paste job from the page I found helpful. I would recommend starting with method 2.

FIX 2:

Method 1

1.     Enable the View Hidden Files option. To do this, follow these steps:

a.     Click Start

, click Control Panel, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

b.     Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

As a system administrator, locate the Programdata\Microsoft\Network\Downloader folder, and then delete all files that have a file name that begins with Qmgr. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start

, copy and paste: \Programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader into the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

a.             In the Downloader window, select and then delete any files that begin with Qmgr. For example, delete the following files:

Qmgr0.dat

Qmgr1.dat

Notes

If the files are not deleted, restart the computer in safe mode without networking. To do this, use Method 2 or Method 3.

If the files are deleted successfully, immediately open Windows Update, and then install the latest updates.

Method 2

1.     Restart the computer.

2.     Press the F8 key as the computer restarts.

Note You have to press the F8 key before the Windows Vista progress indicator appears.

3.     When the Advanced Boot Options menu appears, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.

4.     Enable the View Hidden Files option. To do this, follow these steps:

a.     Click Start

b.             Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

As a system administrator, locate the Programdata\Microsoft\Network\Downloader folder, and then delete all files that have a file name that begins with Qmgr. To do this, follow these steps:

.      Click Start

, copy and paste: Programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader into the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

a.             In the Downloader window, select and then delete any files that begin with Qmgr. For example, delete the following files:

Qmgr0.dat

Qmgr1.dat

Immediately open Windows Update, and then install the latest updates.

Back to the top

Method 3

1.     Restart the computer in the safe mode without networking. To do this, follow these steps:

a.     Exit all open programs.

b.     Click Start

, type Run in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

c.             Type msconfig, and then click OK. 

The System Configuration Utility appears.

d.     Click the Boot tab, click to select the Safe boot check box, click to select theMinimal check box, and then click OK.

e.     Restart the computer when you are prompted.

Enable the View Hidden Files option. To do this, follow these steps:

.      Click Start

a.             Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

As a system administrator, locate the "Programdata\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" folder, and then delete all files that have a file name that begins with Qmgr. To do this, follow these steps:

.      Click Start

, copy and paste: \Programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader into the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

a.             In the Downloader window, select and delete any files that begin with Qmgr. For example, delete the following files:

Qmgr0.dat

Qmgr1.dat

Restart the computer in normal mode. To do this, follow these steps:

.      Exit all open programs.

a.     Click Start

, type Run in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.             Type msconfig, and then click OK. The System Configuration Utility appears.

c.     On the Boot tab, click to clear the Safe boot check box, and then click OK to restart the computer.

d.     Restart the computer when you are prompted.

Immediately open Windows Update, and then install the latest updates.

I use these programs on my system, and would recommend them to anyone else:

AVAST (pro, or simply register for free full operation).

ASC (free works fine).

Driver Genius (pro or it will not really do no good in the long-run).

SUPERAntiSpyware (free works fine, just re-install).

iTunes

Safari (more secure download process and informational interface).

I will update with another fix if there are any further complications.

CM.

jueves, 05 de febrero de 2009 22:54

• dear sir,

your idea was wonderful. i did as u said. i right clicked on my comuter and selected advanced system settings and followed the steps as u said......
    but after the very next day, same problem appeared.

now i'm facing with the same problem windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working.

plz. find a solution for me as soon as possible.

i'd be greatful to your help.

thanking you!

faithfully yours,
    babal jack

lunes, 29 de junio de 2009 5:55
  • I agree with you Ray9, for I have been having many of the problems that all have been talking about! I am running Vistas Ultimate, and found out the less ya use your computer the better it runs....Go figure...As far as Windows XP, it was a good running system, except for security issues and was the reason I ran out to buy Vistas when it arrived on the shelves, and paid a hefty price for it!!! I would like to know is, (Window's 7) is supposed to resolve most of the Vistas issue and will be released soon, is Microsoft gonna give all vistas purchasers a break because of their screw-up? I have seen for the lower versions of vistas, they are offering an upgradeable price, but nothing about the people who purchased Ultimate. Is anyone one else using Ulimate and is considering on upgrading to windows 7, if so was anything mentioned that i may have missed?
    viernes, 31 de julio de 2009 19:24
  • Thanks for the suggestion on turning off the dep, I ended up having to do it through safe mode cause the system kept restarting before i could do it through the control panel. I turned those off, and then I delete the mpeg file I clicked on right when the problem started, I also uninstalled the program that had encoded the mpeg file from my mov file (called Media Coder), and then I ran any updates Vista had for me, and then I put dep back on. Seems fine now!

Saved me from almost pressing that "System Restore" button!

• Propuesto como respuesta laurence43 lunes, 29 de marzo de 2010 3:37
    lunes, 19 de octubre de 2009 19:24
  • Thanks for the suggestion on turning off the dep, I ended up having to do it through safe mode cause the system kept restarting before i could do it through the control panel. I turned those off, and then I delete the mpeg file I clicked on right when the problem started, I also uninstalled the program that had encoded the mpeg file from my mov file (called Media Coder), and then I ran any updates Vista had for me, and then I put dep back on. Seems fine now!

Rundll32 is yet another Microsoft con to get one to spend!!!!
    lunes, 29 de marzo de 2010 3:38

Rundll32 is yet another Microsoft con to get one to spend!!!!
    lunes, 29 de marzo de 2010 3:38
  • hi i have proble to open computer
    viernes, 12 de noviembre de 2010 4:15
  • Try just installing google Chrome instead, mine has also been doin this lately, but it doesnt seem to interfere with Chrome as the search engine
    miércoles, 29 de febrero de 2012 6:39
  • Hi,

I m facing a problem with wscript.exe on windows 7 ,I m using wscript .exe tool in vb6 application for executing the vbs  and rpt files of crystal report 8.5

here is the following the code:

strFileName = "wscript.exe //B """ & strScriptPath & """ """ _
                        & strReportPath & """ " & """" & strArgumentFilePath & """ " & """" & strPassword & """"

Screen.MousePointer = vbDefault
                'Runs the WScript exe program and returns a Variant (Double) representing the program's task ID if successful, otherwise  returns zero
                lEditorInstID = Shell(strFileName, vbMaximizedFocus)
                'Load the report processing status form to the system
                frmReportProcessingStatus.Show

Exception description:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BEX
      Application Name:    wscript.exe
      Application Version:    5.8.7600.16385
      Application Timestamp:    4a5bc678
      Fault Module Name:    StackHash_0a9e
      Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
      Exception Offset:    0278f210
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Data:    00000008
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    16393
      Additional Information 1:    0a9e
      Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:    0a9e
      Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

martes, 18 de junio de 2013 5:30