none
MS Outlook send/receive data file missing

Pregunta

•  

Whenever I open up MS Outlook 2007, I get an error message:

"outlook cannot start because a data file to send and receive mail cannot be found. To add a data file, such as a person folder file, double-click the mail icon in windows control panel."

I have gone through and repaired the office program through add/receive programs and it did not work.  Also, I have another computer that has office in my house, and all of the data files are the same - i cant find anything else that is missing.  Is there anyone out there that has any ideas on how to fix this problem???

lunes, 30 de junio de 2008 18:51

Todas las respuestas

•  listed-as-unwise wrote:

Whenever I open up MS Outlook 2007, I get an error message:

"outlook cannot start because a data file to send and receive mail cannot be found. To add a data file, such as a person folder file, double-click the mail icon in windows control panel."

I have gone through and repaired the office program through add/receive programs and it did not work.  Also, I have another computer that has office in my house, and all of the data files are the same - i cant find anything else that is missing.  Is there anyone out there that has any ideas on how to fix this problem???

please try going to

control Panel

Mail

Email Accounts

Thne check if you mailbox has been removed, if it has then please try readding including your ms exchange server name

Finish

Try launching Outlook again

miércoles, 02 de julio de 2008 5:19
  • I had the exact same problem because I tried to attach to my company's exchange server,  Apparently, I was no longer able to access the personal data files that "directed" mu Outllok where to put my eamil.

I resolved it doing the following:

1. Go to Start and click "Control Panel"
    2. Double-click on "Mail"
    3. Select "Data Files"
    4. Click on "Personal Folders" then select "Set as Default" on bar just above.
    5. You will have to restart Outlook, but this should resolve you problem IF you have data files that are not besing accessed.

Good luck!!

• Propuesto como respuesta coolbuddy_0 miércoles, 25 de noviembre de 2009 3:23
    miércoles, 30 de julio de 2008 10:53
  • Thank you so much!  Your fix was excellent!
    domingo, 17 de agosto de 2008 7:47
  • Thank you!  It fixed my problem (I had tried to connect to an exchange server also).
    lunes, 27 de abril de 2009 23:16
  • Excellent this fixed my problem!!
    • Propuesto como respuesta SMOKEY7244521 miércoles, 10 de junio de 2009 21:31
    sábado, 16 de mayo de 2009 22:11
  • Nice one fixed my problem as well
    miércoles, 10 de junio de 2009 21:32
  • AHHHHH -- THANK YOU a million thanks! 
    jueves, 02 de julio de 2009 23:13
  • Hey thanks..It worked liked a charm!
    domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 19:19
  • Bingo ... this did it ... I had also tried to connect to an exchange server at work.  Apparently MS doesn't want us to do that! ;-) go figure ..

Oh oh ... only problem now, although I am getting my mail, is that all my extensive 'rules' of filing in this folder and that folder are totally wiped out!  Any idea on how to save or find them?  From now on I better export them since MS wipes them out so easily without even a warning.
    lunes, 07 de septiembre de 2009 16:44
  • Awesome, I had the same problem this evening and i found thisconversation and your fix has solved my problem!!! :)

Thank you!
    jueves, 12 de noviembre de 2009 1:20
  • Worked for me too. Cheers
    lunes, 19 de abril de 2010 1:36
  • Thank you that worked. It was starting to drive me crazy.
    sábado, 10 de julio de 2010 13:56
  • THANK YOU!!!!  I have been fighting this for over a month.  You are the fixer!
    miércoles, 14 de julio de 2010 5:30
  • great, thanks, it worked
    viernes, 16 de julio de 2010 20:35
  • Huh - wish I could say the same.

A coworker is getting the same message.  While trying to help her, I've followed the instructions mdltx posted below - no change in the error message, except for a half-second, as she logs into Outlook, the error message says something like "a data file was closed improperly <mumble>" then gets overwritten by the above message.

She's been using Outlook Web Access for now.

Out of ideas here, don't know what else to try.

viernes, 15 de octubre de 2010 16:36
  • rastr-eyes

this may be off topic for the post. But have you tried to repair the coworkers .pst file? This is different than the Outlook repair tool, which fixes Outlook itself.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-an-ost-or-pst-file-in-outlook-HA001056300.aspx

jueves, 04 de noviembre de 2010 4:54
  • So this pretty much worked for me though I had to click on "Add" and locate my PST file. I changed the View to Details so I could make sure it had today's day on it, then selected it and then set it as default. This completed my upgrade from Outlook 2003, which couldn't seem to find my PST file and now I'm working perfectly in Outlook 2007. Thanks, and I propose this reply as THE ANSWER.

Thanks, mdltx!

martes, 14 de diciembre de 2010 22:38
  • Thank you now I can access Outlook your fix work just fine.

Thank again.

sábado, 22 de enero de 2011 21:20
  • Thank you!!  I only wish I had found this thread an hour ago!!
    lunes, 16 de mayo de 2011 13:57
  • When I go to start and click "control panel" there is no mail option (I'm using Windows Vista)  On the start menu there is an E-mail tab, but when I clicked on it once or even double clicked it, the message said "the item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed or removed.  Do you want to delete from the list."  After trying to use this as the "Mail" icon you mentioned and having the same results, I removed from the list.    The "Mail" that is on the start up menu is "windows mail" and it just opens that.  It doesn't have a "data file" tab to select.   I am using a multi-user laptop.  When I sign in under my husband, no problem outlook works fine for me, but all my information is under my profile and I have to be able to use outlook under my profile to do my work and I must be able to receive and send emails and set dates on the calendar, etc.  Please Help! 
    jueves, 25 de agosto de 2011 6:50
  • You're a champ!
    lunes, 24 de octubre de 2011 2:43
  • Thanks , it solved the problem
    domingo, 04 de agosto de 2013 17:33
  • You are the best. This worked 

many thanks

martes, 19 de noviembre de 2013 22:32
  • Thank you! Thank You!!!!

I thought a recent Anti-Virus/Malware test program I downloaded did this. Very relieved to have found the answer!

sábado, 20 de septiembre de 2014 22:30