none
How do I sync Windows Mobile 7 with Outlook

Pregunta

• I am attempting to sync windows mobile 7 with a local version (32bit) of outlook 2010.  Zune supports pictures, video, and music, but not outlook (or contacts & calendars).  The phone seems to be setup to sync with outlook on an exchange server, hotmail, yahoo, and google mail, but not local outlook. 

I was able to use windows live to sync contacts to my phone (a long convoluted process that requires that I transfer all of my contacts to hotmail) but windows live doesn't sync your calendar with outlook (you can display your hotmail calendar in outlook using windows live, but not sync it with your outlook calendar).

The primary reason I bought a windows mobile phone is to integrate seamlessly with microsoft office, and it appears that it is not possible.  (although Palm, Android, blackberry and iphone are capable of syncing with outlook)

What steps am I missing.  If I can't integrate my calendar and contacts through outlook, I will be returning the phone and not returning to windows mobile.

viernes, 12 de noviembre de 2010 13:51

Todas las respuestas

• Absolutely right....I have just bought a HTC Trophy with Windows Mobile 7 especially to sync with my local version of Outook (32bit) on a computer with Windows 7 (64bit) and its a disaster. I have heaps of contacts and an intensive calendar and its useless now with this Windows Mobile 7 system.  I rarely use hotmail because I have my own IMAP email account. If MS does not fix this I might as well throw the HTC Trophy into the sea....its useless for me. I have to stay with my broken down old phone...much better.

Can anyone tell me if MS is going to do anything about this.

domingo, 14 de noviembre de 2010 17:37
  • I am in the same boat.  I don't use hotmail either, and am not interested in doing so.  In fact this is the same reason I did not get an Android phone.  In fact Android is better as I think it will sync your outlook with gmail, and then to your phone.  This way you at least have everything in sync, it just has to go to the cloud first.  I was so excited for the Windows Mobile 7 phones, now I am not so impressed.

This needs to get fixed ASAP.

I have 30 days before I cannot return the phone, I think I will give it like 7 days.  Microsoft - this is not cool!

• Propuesto como respuesta JulieAlley martes, 05 de abril de 2011 3:19
    lunes, 15 de noviembre de 2010 0:16
  • Same here, I waited for the LG Quantum, specifically for it's office apps. Don't care much for the speakers or IM capabilities, etc, just to integrate with my PCs. Now, I downloaded Zune, I did not appreciate that, and all I can do is to sync media files.

no contacts, etc. nothing. what happened to sync center with mobile 7 again?

Tony
    lunes, 15 de noviembre de 2010 22:30
  • I've waited so long for this Windows Mobile 7 phone only to be disappointed with the whole Outlook thing. The phone and operating system is fantastic, but I am floored that they didn't do this right. I'm like everyone else, my outlook with the TASK is a great part of my daily life. Yes there are work arounds but if I wanted that the other phones are great in that respect and without jumping through hoops.  I just can't believe microsoft couldn't keep the sync feature with a stand alone computer. JUST GIVE US A SIMPLE LITTLE APP THAT WILL DO THIS.

martes, 16 de noviembre de 2010 4:16
  • Sharing the pain here, my friends.

I just got my new Samsung Focus in the mail today with Windows Mobile 7 and, honestly, I cannot believe that it is not possible to synch my calendar and contacts from Outlook! Only media files...

This is the kind of thing you really don't even think about when you are evaluating a new Windows phone...

Dude! Even my APPLE iPhone can sync with MICROSOFT Outlook!

This has to be some sort of bad practical JOKE from Microsoft...

Total disappointment!

martes, 16 de noviembre de 2010 5:48
  • Update to my initial post - after several days of frustrating results with the hotmail connector, I have found it completely inadequate, I was able to sync contacts through hotmail, but I had to move all of my contacts to the hotmail account rather than keeping them in my outlook contacts folder (otherwise I would have a duplicate set of contacts that would not be updated). 

Calendars were a different story entirely, I can share a hotmail calendar with outlook, but not sync it.  I was unable to publish my outlook calendar and subscribe through hotmail, and when I tied to copy my outlook calendar appointments to the hotmail calendar, only ~ 33% of my appointments transferred successfully, the remaining appointments either created errors in the sync log, and didn't make it to hotmail, or they appeared at the wrong time in either hotmail or on the phone.  I have a confusing mess of a schedule including recurring meetings that I was invited to that were scheduled in different time zones, and recurring meetings that I was not on the invitation to, but I was forwarded them by other invitees in other timezones.  I didn't identify a source for the sync failures which accounted for most of the problems (the error message said I was not allowed to add attendees to the meetings - no idea why it thought I was adding invitees), and the meetings that showed up at wrong times seemed to be connected to the originator being in a different time zone.

I finally gave up on the hotmail connector, and deleted everything out of hotmail, moving it back to my local outlook. 

After resetting everything locally, I found CompanionLink Software (no connection to the company) they have an option to sync windows mobile 7 to outlook, using GOOGLE & GMAIL!!!!!, not exactly the solution I was looking for (I would have bought an Android phone if I wanted to use Google), but I wanted a solution that actually worked, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I installed the trial version of companionlink, and it works much better than the hotmail connector, but still not perfect. 

It syncs contacts very well, and my calendar is much closer (but not exactly matching), 2 of my repeating meetings (out of ~ 270) still show up at the wrong time (in google or the phone, but not both) and both of the meetings have the issue I described above - the originator was in a different time zone.

Also, CompanionLink has an option to sync tasks, but for some reason none of my tasks are syncing, I didn't get an error, and I haven't looked into it more, but I will research and provide additional feedback if I find an answer.

So my results so far - Microsoft delayed their phone release for more than a year, and still can't integrate with their own primary email management tool, but a third party can integrate with it in a few days using a second third party.

I still have time before I have to decide to keep or return the phone, so I will continue using companionlink as a workaround until I need to make a decision.  If I don't see a fix from Microsoft soon, I will be returning it.

It's really sad that I waited as long as I did for a Microsoft phone, I have been using PDA's by various companies since 3Com released the original Palm Pilot, and Microsoft with all it's quirks always had the best synchronization with outlook and office, Windows 7 Mobile fails miserably and is the worst attempt at a productivitity tool that I have seen 

martes, 16 de noviembre de 2010 21:46
  • I wanted to add to my post - I am fighting through these issues because I actually like the rest of the phone. (LG Quantum) The speed of the phone is amazing compared to my old blackberry, and the menus are very nice and easy to get used to.  in a lot of ways it is more like the iPhone that I had previously (although I couldn't type on an iPhone, so I switched to the Blackberry with a physical keyboard, but I missed the large screen).  There are some additional quirks outside of the outlook integration (not all windows tilt when the horizontal keyboard is used), and there is also no direct link to share office documents from your computer to the phone, you have to go through hoops with windows live to get them there (or just email them to yourself) 

If Microsoft can work out the issues with Outlook, I will keep the phone, otherwise I need to return it.

martes, 16 de noviembre de 2010 21:55
  • I couldn't agree more.  I posted earlier, and ultimately I am going to give Microsoft about a week or less, and if they do not have a solution (or notification of a solution to come) I will return the phone and get either an iPhone or an Android.

Microsoft... you are close, make this right.

miércoles, 17 de noviembre de 2010 2:38
  • I couldn't agree more.  I posted earlier, and ultimately I am going to give Microsoft about a week or less, and if they do not have a solution (or notification of a solution to come) I will return the phone and get either an iPhone or an Android.

Microsoft... you are close, make this right.

I really can't believe that this is the case. I thought is was only my inadequate tech skills that wasn't enabling what I would of thought is an obvious feature syncing outlook to Windows 7 phone. Am I right in my understanding that there isn't a current simple solution (sync software to download). I too might be in the line to return this phone
    miércoles, 17 de noviembre de 2010 9:46
  • All,

Please see this thread about Windows Phone 7 and syncing with Outlook. It is a lengthy conversation with a lot of great information on this subject. This is found in the Windows Phone 7 forums on Microsoft Answers. There is also a thread for suggestions...

Thanks,

David

miércoles, 17 de noviembre de 2010 15:17
  • Thanks for the thread David, but Outlook connector only partially solves this problem.  In my case, it didn't work at all.  Personally, I agree with all the above statements. I can't believe that I waited for the Windows phone to maintain my integration with Outlook only to see it destroyed.  And I won't even go into the fact that all of my $100's of dollars of application CAB files no longer run after I found a work around to get them to the phone now that there is no file explorer.  Microsoft destroyed their business market on this one.  It's only good for the Facebook crowd.

My 2cents anyway.  And yes, my phone is going back to AT&T also.

miércoles, 17 de noviembre de 2010 15:56
  • Thanks for the link David, but I must agree with Steve, outlook connector is not the answer to any question that I have, because it doesn't work. 

Don't take this the wrong way, because I am a big Microsoft fan, and as a small business owner, I upgrade my Microsoft products continuously (at a high cost), and I appreciate the products and improvements that typically come with them, but I feel like Microsoft is abandoning it's primary business market to cater to the teens and twenty something’s that spend their life texting and on Facebook, and playing games on their phone.  I had an iPhone, and found it to be a great toy, but of limited business use (the newer version is much improved, but lacking a physical keyboard is the deal breaker), I sold it as soon as my contract expired, and I wanted to go to windows mobile, but at the time the windows mobile hardware available through AT&T was lacking, and WinMobile 7 was supposed to be right around the corner, so I went with a blackberry, and waited and waited, now I finally have good hardware, but the OS doesn't allow it.

I don't have any use for the social networking, I just want to manage my business when I am away from my laptop.  To do that, I want the information from my laptop to be readily available on my phone.  I don't want to be forced to put all of my information in windows live, hotmail or google, or anywhere else under someone else's control.  The primary problem with earlier versions of windows mobile in my mind was the hardware, not the OS, now that the hardware is up to speed, they have decided that they are not a business tool anymore.

The thread you pointed out confirms:

1. You cannot sync a local copy of outlook with WinMobile 7 (you must replace your email and outlook structure with hotmail, then receive all your existing email services through hotmail)

2. You cannot share files between your desktop and WinMobile 7 (except for those highly productive YouTube videos and MP3s)

3. Microsoft seems only interested in the cloud and exchange, not the small business user. 

Am I the only one who remembers dumb terminals (doesn't that kill Microsoft’s primary market Windows and Office?).  I pay a significant amount of money for other MS products, specifically so that I can have one synchronized tool and place for all of my data, Microsoft is basically saying we appreciate your business ant thanks for paying for outlook, but we don't like the way that you use it, you have to start using it our way.

miércoles, 17 de noviembre de 2010 17:52
  • Here is the answer:

Because of stupidity in design at Microsoft, you have to 1) PAY for Zune and 2) cannot sync with Outlook without using "the cloud".

Negatives about this:

1) PAY for Zune? Why? Iphone lets you have Itunes for free.

2) Sync with "the cloud" only and not fully integrate everything from Outlook (email, tasks, calendar as most people would want)? Why? Iphone with Itunes syncs my appointments calendar and email (not sure about tasks) with my wife's Iphone without any drama and does it through the cable supplied.

Positives about Windows Mobile 7:

The only one I can think of, right now - so please feel free to add YOUR positives as I am short of them - is that it certainly beats the ____ out of that Nokia I bought in 1990! Nevertheless, it still doesnt do auto voice answer of the phone or auto dial of the phone without some touching of the unit (assuming you already have it on) when driving. In Australia, if you touch your earpiece to answer the phone and the police see that, you get fined big time (yes, I know it is a stupid law because I can adjust my sun visor, radio, CD while driving) so basically, doing around 110KPH on the local expressway and an urgent call comes in, I have to do a stop on a road I am not allowed to stop on. Defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone for business, really. Oh wait..... that was a negative wasnt it?

miércoles, 17 de noviembre de 2010 20:28
  • Harry,

Thanks for your reply, but neither of those threads addresses this issue.  Those threads are related to Outlook 64bit, not Windows Mobile 7

jueves, 18 de noviembre de 2010 13:47
  • No it has not been resolved.  WM7 needs seamless integration and synchronization with ALL of Outlook 2007 and above - email, calendar, tasks and contacts.  WM6 and WM6.5 has it - and THAT is the only reason I have been buying WM phones.   If this in not quickly resolved I will buy and Android phone.
    jueves, 18 de noviembre de 2010 20:59
  • A resolution would entail a direct synchronization between Outlook 2007 or better and Windows 7 mobile contacts/people/Outlook lite or whatever have you.

Workarounds to upload contacts to a third party medium, be it a cloud service ran by Microsoft or anyone else, is not a valid solution. Neither is buying space on an Exchange server somewhere.

If Microsoft wants to publish the code of Outlook 2010 and allow it's developer community to produce something more digestible by windows 7 mobile, that would be the best way for Microsoft to support its community.

Forcing MS Office users into the cloud is not an agreeable solution. Simply put, users can not be forced to surrender their data to the cloud. This is a huge privacy issue and the repercussions are very alarming. The agreement between the end user and the data custodian, in the case of contacts and personal documents, can not involve given away the rights to the custodian. the custodian can not get any type of property rights over this data.

Tony
    • Propuesto como respuesta Jeff12 viernes, 19 de noviembre de 2010 23:59
    viernes, 19 de noviembre de 2010 0:27
  • While not the ideal solution there is a package out there that will sync your Outlook with a Google account.  There is a 14 day trial but after that you have to pay about $40.  It's call Companion Link (http://www.companionlink.com).  I ran it for a few days and it seemed like it worked well but why should we have to by a 3rd party package to have Windows talk to Windows?  This was one of the major reasons I returned my Windows 7 phone today.

Jeff

sábado, 20 de noviembre de 2010 0:04
  • I got the LG Quantum yesterday and began freaking out becuse I too could not synch it with outlook contcats nor calendar. I finally got everything working after I downloaded the connector. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=39db2b89-af2e-41f9-a175-f93e1377959f&displaylang=en

It took several hours and it would have been nice for the salesman to tell me I needed to open the windows live account and put all my stuff on the internet. I figure big brother is already watching anyway- I recently got a ticket for running a stop sign while I was asleep in my bed. Maybe I dreamed it.

Anyway I needed to email my calendar to myself to put in in the correct MS Dos format for Live to reconnize it. Exporting it did not work- it only brought over one single appointment that said "busy" I have no idea what appointment that was (it wasn't one I created) and I plan on missing it. 

I had to import my contcats and calendar into the new xxxxxx@live.com account- on Outlook on my computer. The Live calendar on my office computer will now be my primary calendar- no big deal. I have 2 computers (Laptop/desktop) so I wll do the same thing on the other one. It updates with Live periodically and sends those updates to my phone and vice- versa. Kind of neat becase now I don't have to manually synch. It will do it automatically.

It took serveral hours to figure it out, but now that I know how it should take a lot less time. I was ready to return the phone and give the sales guy a slap for not telling me about all the BS I had to a deal with. I may still do the latter.

I miss my Nokia E70- the best phone ever. I've had it for more than 7 years, had been submerged a number of times- dropped more times than I can count, but it always did what I needed (except texting b/c ATT did not support it and could not resolve it.) Had it not just simply worn out I would still be using it.

I think the iPhone is a toy; my kids all have them and when they drop it it's $200- unless you change the glass yourself; which I've done. 2nd choice was the Blackberry Torch, but felt kind of crappy and was slow. The buttons on the keyboard are too small. When I saw the Quantum, I liked it immedialy. Not a million apps, but I don't really care. It's mad fast, a nice keyboard; a quality piece and looks like I can drop it more than once.

Anyway I goy everthing working with the Live account and the connector. It took some time and I'm not a genius (maybe not anyway). I may find other glictches that I don't like, but we'll see over the next week. How the h*ll do you change the Explorer homepage??

I'm sing a POP server for email and am not using the Live account /Hotmail for emails.

Hope this helps. ATT/MS: better educate your customers or make this easier for folks or you guys will be collecting a lot of bogus restocking fees and losing customers. Your tech guys should be doing all this- not me- maybe a disc included with the phone or an online tutorial-c'mon!!

lunes, 22 de noviembre de 2010 14:14
  • I am afraid Microsoft you have failed us - we do business out here - we have companies to run that dont use cloud services or connect to exchange servers or use live accounts. My only thoughts as with everything that Microsoft does is that there must be a hack in the registry to do this job - no one in their right mind would not support syncing contacts, calendar(s) and tasks with a pop account(s). How are we expected to do business?

If no fix is found you will get the usual backlash that you expect - well judging by all the forums there already is this happening - then you will get some publicity - then you will fix it. This marketing stratey is wearing thin.

You have also made a cardinal software development sin - you have removed expected funtionality. 
    Your developers therefore are dictating software releases and not in anyway taking into account the behaviour of the user - your agile is not agile - remember the stakeholder?

lunes, 22 de noviembre de 2010 16:59
  • I DONT believe you. 

You're all wrong.  You must not have looked hard enough. 

There's no way Microsoft dont have an app to sync with Outlook. 

Stevie B says WM7 is the next Billion earner. 

I'm trying to get away from my toy iPhone back to a proper phone again. 

I've spent a few hours searching but I'll keep going, I'm sure its there somewhere, isn't it?

lunes, 22 de noviembre de 2010 22:35
  • So it seems you can't import anything directly from PC side of Outlook.   This new OS wants you importing contacts through an account and not a computer.   Annoying, but lets be honest, much safer and easier for you.   Same deal how at work your contacts are saved on the exchange server, not on your local PC.   If your PC were to crash.... well you can see where i'm going with this.

I use gmail, i had to simply create an csv file and import my local outlook contacts into my gmail account via the web.   After which when WM7 synced up with gmail, it copied all the contacts over seamlessly.   Ultimately this is probably a good idea.   Will throw a few people for a loop but this IS a better way to do it.

jueves, 25 de noviembre de 2010 2:08
  • That's unbelievable, my 6.5 phone bit the dust the hard way and then excitedly I went to get my WP7 just to find out I can't sink with my Outlook. I wonder what the mind set was when making that bonehead decision not to support your own email app, come on,,,,simply unbelievable! Good thing I got 30 days to find me a replacement 6.5 or maybe I go with the crowd and finally switch to Apple!

M&M
    jueves, 25 de noviembre de 2010 23:14
  • Dear Friends

I have a very simple solution to all your problems, please read the steps carefully and if you have some problem then contact me on sc@webanditsolutions.co.uk

Devices: Win 7 Mobile & Outlook 2007

Task : Sync Calenders in Between Win 7 Mobile and Outlook

Solution : You need to download a Outlook Connector from Microsoft. The moment you have it your Outlook will start sync with Mob. It takes 30 mins to sync in between so please be patients.

Hope this help. You can also contact me regarding any IT problem and I will try my best to ans it.

Regards

Sam

www.webanditsolutions.co.uk

sábado, 27 de noviembre de 2010 0:50
  • I had an Android phone and it doesn't sync with Outlook. That's why I had to wait for the Mobile 7 phones to come out. Just got it yesterday... Hoping for the best.
    domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010 0:38
  • I work in a UK Primary school. We still use XP Pro and Office 2003. To upgrade would not be good value for money.  I have a 2 and a 1/2 year old XDA orbit 2 running windows mobile 6.1. It still does the job well. I sync daily between Outlook 2003 and my phone using Activsync. It works.

We have just got a new Learning Platform from a fantastic schools software company called 2Simple. They write software for children that is simple to use. They want to involve their customers in the development of this learning platform.

It seems to me that Microsoft are doing the opposite here. Users want to be able to directly sync their Outlook and phone, but Microsoft think there's a better way. All that I've read on the subject shows that syncing through the cloud is messy and doesn't do the job as easily or effectively.

If Microsoft haven't sorted this by the time I need a new phone I'll be sticking with Mobile 6.5, or transferring to Android or an iphone.

domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010 22:10
  • I could not agree more with you Jim. Win Phone 7 will be even less a business device that IPhone is. I am using currently IPhone 4 and got my Samsung Focus today for the very same reason you got your LG. I am just sorry, I did not do my homework before ordering this useless device. Microsoft is back trying to dictate how we should use their products. It will backfire if they don't have a solution really fast. 
    • Propuesto como respuesta bigdogpeter miércoles, 01 de diciembre de 2010 5:44
    martes, 30 de noviembre de 2010 4:28
  • I was a great fan of windows phone because of their quality features such as copy cut paste, differentiating between type of calls incoming or outgoing or missed with the complete details, outlook sync for notes or calendar or your contacts. Touch controls for camera to click a snap or video and best connectivity management either with Bluetooth, wifi or IR. Previously you were able to put any song in the phone and it plays without the hassle of sync through Zune ..there were many more wonderful things which are now not available.

Biggest issue with the windows 7 phone highly insecure for your emails as once you add a hotmail ID there is no way you could logout .. infect phone comes with the warning in case phone is lost change your password.

I always use copy cut paste which is not available now.

Windows 7 phone do not supports lotus notes based mails, though iPhone and blackberry has it.

When I bought this phone I was so excited about the phone but now I may have to get it changed ASAP.

Best thing about windows7 phone is ease of scrolling and display , though it do not supports touch control to click snaps.

jueves, 02 de diciembre de 2010 1:11
  • Share the same issue cannot synch outlook 2007 and windows phone 7 seamlessly. The current solution using Windows Live is cumbersome. I have 30 days to try the Samsung Focus which looked very good at first glance. I will switch to Android 2.2 if no solution in the near future. It is a great OS may be I got in on board to early.
    viernes, 03 de diciembre de 2010 2:54
  • Chuck, be careful with Android as well. As far as I know you sync through a Gmail account but you cannot do it directly via USB. If this is an option you are looking for, do you homework first. It looks like only Blackberry, IPhone an the "old" MS 6.5 support this method. I am keeping my Samsung Focus for the 30 days and play with it on WiFi and leave my IPhone active. If MS does not declare what their plan is before my 30 days are up I will return it as well.
    viernes, 03 de diciembre de 2010 3:32
  • I just bought the LG Quantum Windows Phone 7 because I expected it to synch seamlessly with my Outlook 2010 (32-bit). Ha!  My workaround is to use a Google calendar which synchs with both Outlook 2010 and my phone, and Windows Live Hotmail contacts which synch with my phone, but not wih Outlook 2010.  However, I can at least view my Windows Live Hotmail contacts and my Outlook contacts on the same screen on my laptop so I can update one to the other maunually.

What a pain!

Does anyone know whether I can synch Outlook 2010 (32-bit) to a Blackberry Torch?  I do NOT use a Microcrosoft Exchange server.

Thanks.

viernes, 03 de diciembre de 2010 14:16
  • Win Mobile 7 is not a finished product, it doesn't even have cut and paste. It won't have until some time next year,  I have been using the windows mobile / phone OS since the 90s and even i wont move to Win Mobile 7. It isn't ready and it certainly isn't fit for purpose right now if you are a business.

MS are going for the teen and there is a good reason why. The teen crowd will get them far more revenue than trying to steal the blackberry market.

I have a HD2 with Win 6.5.3 and it works perfectly, apart from a few bugs i dont want anything to change on it!

Remember this when complaining about Win Mobile 7, it is still basically in development and isn't ready for public consumption.....YET!

lunes, 06 de diciembre de 2010 12:21
  • The post by jim0123 only captures part of the problem. I am a business owner/operator with exhange server and numerouse desktop & laptop pc's. Even with exchange server only the Outlook calendar and contact list is synchronized. Once the contacts file on Mobile 7 jumbles all my personal stuff like facebook contacts, google contats, etc, in with my business contacts on Outlook I cannot sort them by company. You have to know the persons name. Not good if you make a call once a year to a main number. No task list to synchronize. No selection for reminders. If you want to "snooze" a reminder on windows 7 mobile you have no options. 5 minutes or dismiss. All reminders that you set up on tasks in Outlook, or repeating tasks if you use that feature, are useless. The response from Microsoft rep so far is that you have to use Onenote in order to keep notes in synch on your mobile. Trouble is if you use Onenote then you are synching large files with stuff you probably don't need on your mobile device.

My time is up by tomorrow and I will return my Windows phone (LG E900h).

I cannot believe that Microsoft would release a product that is useless to business people who pay enormous amounts of money for legal licenses to upgrade and use their products in the workplace and then be totally unable to address any of the isues. With another group of upgrades set to move ahead with my company it gives me pause to think about canceling everything and looking at other ways of managing my business.

lunes, 06 de diciembre de 2010 21:09
  • If you see a certificate error when trying to sync with exchange..

- Go to a domain joined Client (PC, Laptop) then open the mmc and load the snap-in for Certificates, select Local computer;

- on Trusted Root Certification Authorities - Certificates

- Search for you're RootCA Certificate

- then export this Certificate as a DER-coded-binary X.509 (CER) on you're local Computer to a temp folder

- Send it via Mail (another Mail-account Hotmail for example) to you're WP7

- Sync the Mail Box and open the attachment

- install this Certificate

- power cycle phone

- now test you're Sync with the EAS Account

have fun

martes, 07 de diciembre de 2010 3:12
  • Absolutely right....I have just bought a HTC Trophy with Windows Mobile 7 especially to sync with my local version of Outook (32bit) on a computer with Windows 7 (64bit) and its a disaster. I have heaps of contacts and an intensive calendar and its useless now with this Windows Mobile 7 system.  I rarely use hotmail because I have my own IMAP email account. If MS does not fix this I might as well throw the HTC Trophy into the sea....its useless for me. I have to stay with my broken down old phone...much better.

Can anyone tell me if MS is going to do anything about this.

yelp i face the same problem too, expecting window 7 to sync with outlook..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did not use the android because it only sync with gmail and yahoo

yes iphone is the best!!!!!!!

microsoft is d.........................

jueves, 09 de diciembre de 2010 17:12
  • This is plain and simply.... stupid!

I walked into a Telstra shop today (ok, I know, but I told them I was giving them one last chance, stupid me!) and said 'I have a PDA-phone.  I use ActiveSync to add my work contacts, tasks and calendar to my phone, I do not currently use email nor want to add that.  I need to sync in both direction therefore I do not want a Blackberry.  I don't care about facebook and all that, I need to replace my PDA-phone as bits have fell off it'.  We have exactly what you need, they say, the HTC Mozart 7 on WM7 or something else on Anroid but that you have to sync through google.  To which I go no, my company won't allow that, I need it direct to PC.   So I bought the HTC after they confirmed 6 times it would do what I wanted.

And what am I doing now?..... CARRYING AROUND TWO PHONES!!!!  I have to sync everything to my jimmyjam and use the HTC as a phone.   For health I can't go back to the jimmyjam as I have dropped it one to many times and externals are now exposed. 

I can't upload work calendar/tasks to Windows Live or any other clouding system.  I don't want to add my work exchange account because I don't want the emails (I tested that with my home email.  I can't connect and just turn email syncing off plus it didn't take my contacts or calendar across anyway).  I've been told I can't put WM6 on the HTC.

Talk about being ripped off.  I am so angry/  I am ringing Microsoft come Monday to find out when they are fixing it, Telstra has already had it from me today.....This is such a backward step in technology!   5yrs ago I had a good choice.   What choice do I have now?

I have been using Micrsoft ActiveSync for over 5 years.  It works perfectly well, why can't you update that to work with WM7?

MP2112 what solution did you come up with after sending the phone back? 

sábado, 18 de diciembre de 2010 14:00
  • After further research this morning I have decided to give my 11yr daughter a phone (although she's not as happy as I'd thought, it wasn't an iPhone, LOL).   I'm going to get an HTC Desire HD and use HTC Sync which does exactly the same as ActiveSync and doesn't need to use the exchange so I can go both ways.   It also syncs via exchange and POP3 quite well too if I need it.

I think they are forgetting that there is a large number of small businesses and large international corporate companies that use their systems... the world is not just made up of tweenies and twitters. If windows is ready to dump buisness people on the scrap heap for tweenies I'm more than happy to go somewhere else. 

domingo, 19 de diciembre de 2010 0:39
  • I still can't believe this - the WM7 programmers are showing complete ignorance of their customer's needs. Nearly a DECADE ago, I bought a Sony Ericsson P910i PDA which synched EVERYTHING with Outlook and did it WIRELESSLY through infra-red or bluetooth (my choice!). Now, in 2010, *Microsoft* Outlook on *Microsoft* Windows cannot communicate the most basic of information such as task lists with a *Microsoft* phone. I mean, it's basically TEXT! Windows Mobile 7 owners cannot synch their appointments with their WM7 phone prior to landing in the airport - no internet connection. One thing is for sure, Windows have just lost every single "Getting Things Done" (GTD) customer they ever had. I'm sure glad I got my phone (Touch Diamond 2) with Windows Mobile 6.5 which CAN synch everything - but my next phone will be one which can synch, in person, without the need for: - internet connection - 32-bit processor - Hotmail/Windows Live account What a tremendous stumble backwards for Microsoft.
    miércoles, 22 de diciembre de 2010 7:52
  • I waited for windows 7 rather than the iphone figuring it would sync easier and better. What a disappointment! 30 days before sending it back... Unfortunately I need to sync my calendar and need to share it with my secretary so I guess it's back to BlackBerry where syncing with Outlook was as one two three though I don't like the slowness of BB on the internet.
    viernes, 31 de diciembre de 2010 2:42
  • me too .
    martes, 15 de febrero de 2011 4:26
  • the only reason why normal people use a windows phone is bcause it sync so easily with outlook.

thats why we are prepared to reboot our phone and even shake out the battery on an ongoing basis, not because we find rebooting an shaking out batterys fun.

so this outlook problem is the final death of windows and hopfully it wil take nokia down and under as well

maybe in the year 2011 somebody will understand that thete are still people working out there that does not sit facebooking all day and that music and photos are no ones main perpouse in life

the only problem is where to go

for me at the moment is a nice light laptop and the cheapest simplest mobile phone aviable. there might still be an old 5 jr older floating in the office.

until micrsoft get real

tb

martes, 15 de febrero de 2011 18:26
  • I have had Outlook Connector for a couple of years.  It worked well with my WM6.5 phone.  My desktop even looked the same as my PC.  But Connector has had issues with importing my WHOLE contacts file, as it has a 1,000 contacts limit.  It also sometimes hangs up email in the Outbox for some unknown reason.  Still, the only way to reliably update my Calendar and Task List was to use the Windows Mobile Device Center.

When I migrated to an LG Quantum with WM7, I assumed a version of Device Center would be included or that I could download and run an WM7 version and get back in business.  I was stunned to discover that there is no Mobile Device Center and no complete MS Outlook included in the Windows Mobile Office app on the new WM7 phone.  Windows support for Outlook, especially on mobile platforms, has always been the red-headed stepchild of their software developers.  It appears now to have been completely abandoned.  Luckily, I kept my Samsung Epix with WM6.5 when I upgraded to a WM7 phone.  I will be going back to that phone if MS doesn't come out with a real business solution for all of us longtime MS Office PC platform users. I didn't have to shell out for my LG Quantum, so I'll hold on to it for a little bit to see if Microsoft will do something to fix their screw up for us business users of their phone operating systems. 

Like many responders in this forum, my phone is not a texting toy or networking nuisance.  I use it to stay on top of my work while on the road.  Without access to my Task List or the ability to load and run other third party apps, like virtual HP calculators, the WM7 phone is a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Jim W.

viernes, 18 de febrero de 2011 18:32
  • Another factor.  Everytime your Contacts or Calendar synchs between your Windows Live account and your phone, you're using data bits.  My data plan usage skyrocketed the first three days I had my W7 Quantum.  I'm not streaming videos or surfing the internet.  This was purely because of updates to my calendar and contacts.  And this was the last straw.  My W7 phone is going back to AT&T today.  I'm sticking with my Samsung Epix and WM6.5.  It has a smaller screen; but it has a great button mouse, and it looks and feels like the Windows 7 on my PC.  And at least I can sync with my laptop using WinMobile Device Center app, keeping my personal data out of the cloud and my data usage down to the minimum.  From what I've read in these forums, Android isn't much of an option if working with Outlook is a critical factor.  It just pushes you to Gmail instead of Hotmail for synchronizing.  I do understand that Android is more accessible for downloading third party apps to your phone and running them, something I also enjoy doing on my WM6.5 phone.

I can't believe Windows developers would completely abandon the business user with their WinMobile 7 op system; but that certainly appears to be the case.  Do they really think there are that many teenie boppers out there who can afford Smart Phones?  This all looks a little conspiratorial.  New operating system from Windows requires data plan usage to continue maintaining Outlook functionality; AT&T comes up with new data packages and requires all SmartPhones to be subscribed to one.

I'm a little PO'ed that I can't get a good stand-alone combination PDA/phone.  My Epix with WM6.5 seems to be as close as I'm going to get.  Adios Quantum and Win Mobile 7.

martes, 22 de febrero de 2011 17:09
  • Except that it doesn't include Outlook Tasks, which I use extensively, AND every Outlook synchronization is charged against your data usage.  I add one I contact and it sychronizing all 1,047 contacts.  I add one appointment and it sychronizes all my appointments.  I go from using 20MB of data/month to nearly 2GB in three days.  Your solution won't work for me and, I suspect, thousands of other users of Outlook on their mobile devices.  What we really need from Microsoft is a good PDA in a competent cell phone, that can by synchronized with our PCs off line.

Makes me want to go back to two devices.  My HP PDA and a simple flip phone.  My whole point in switching to a smartphone 2 years ago was to get away from toting around 2 devices to keep up with my professional duties.  It appears that Microsoft still doesn't recognize that user need.
    martes, 22 de febrero de 2011 17:19
  • Me too - I bought a windows phone expecting it to sync perfectly with Outlook. What a disappointment!

Microsoft seem to have decided that they need to copy Apple and Google, rather than looking after business users. They have a great product with Outlook - they should be trying to sync that to the cloud and locally with their phones then I'd stay with them.

martes, 22 de febrero de 2011 21:09
  • Some days ago my old phone, a HTC with mobile died.

I bought an LG Optimum 7, the data sheet says "easy sincronisation with your Outlook, read and edit your office docs, blah blah ..." damn! it's not true. I have tested that phone two days, found many to_me-unusefool things and i have not found some essential things.

When I buy a car I don't ask if it has the steering or the key ... I feel as I have a similar car.

Luckly (!!!) the blutooth of the phone was not functioning at the arrival, and I have sent it back to the vendor and I am going to buy an android phone.

miércoles, 23 de febrero de 2011 13:13
  • Android phones don't sync locally with Outlook either - I think email and calendar might do so via gmail, but not tasks and notes. For that, it seems you have to buy expensive third party software.

The only smartphones that sync locally with bundled software are from Nokia.

• Propuesto como respuesta Keaniegenie sábado, 26 de febrero de 2011 14:40
    • Votado como útil Keaniegenie sábado, 26 de febrero de 2011 14:40
    miércoles, 23 de febrero de 2011 18:38
  • Broken record but it's good to get it logged so Microsoft can see how horrible this error is. I already know why this happened, pressure of a release date.  I know a developer for this OS and when the topic of release date came up, I saw nothing but stress in his expression.  I'm sure the people who worked on this who said they were rushing too fast are telling management, "I told you so".

Here's your answer, WebOS.  I have a Palm Pre, which is limited but has new software coming, is intuitive, easy to use, allows you to use MULTIPLE exchange accounts and syncs calendar, contacts, mail AND tasks.  I realized after reading this post how lucky I was to have given the Pre a shot because I didn't realize that Android, Iphone and now, MICROSOFT THEMSELVES gave no support for exchange server accounts.  Honestly, it blows my mind.

For all those who loved 6.5 and older, I get it.  I've used Activesync on my old Palm Treo 755p and simply cannot have a phone without this feature ever again. 

Microsoft, you can fix this on an update, earn back all your lost clients and prevent upsetting many others who are planning the switch.

When I heard a Windows 7 phone with a keyboard was coming to Sprint, I was ecstatic.  I went to the Microsoft Store in a local mall just to play with the features which is when I couldn't find a task feature.  Searching online took me to this disappointing thread.  I'm floored.

sábado, 26 de febrero de 2011 14:48
  • I spoke to soon when I said that Nokia sync software synced fully with Outlook. It is true that it USED to sync everything. But for some baffling reason, Nokia have now removed the ability to sync Outlook inbox/sent folders with the Nokia N8 (their supposed flagship phone). It does, however, at least sync notes and tasks, which is better than Windows Mobile 7. But I really want my Outlook inbox with me. I have tried Outlook connector solution - it is no good. Does not sync notes and tasks. Also, I want to be able to sync ALL my email accounts (including POP addresses for work and messages/bills from my ISP, which come only via their pop account), not just hotmail. I'm now going to start searching eBay for an HTC WM6.5 phone
    jueves, 03 de marzo de 2011 8:36
  • Just a suggestion for the new muppet in charge at Microsoft - if you want to force everybody into the cloud, why not do it poperly and offer free exchange hosting service for Outlook users?

Wouldn't it be a better strategy to lock in the millions of Outlook users around the world to use Microsoft products and WIn Mobile 7 by setting up hosted Outlook that syncs notes and tasks?

Surely a more intelligent use of resources than offering free livesync for Mac users (but not XP users).

Microsoft has always given me the impression that one end of the company does know what is going on at the other end - never more so than now.

• Propuesto como respuesta LDPCP sábado, 12 de marzo de 2011 3:18
    jueves, 03 de marzo de 2011 8:49
  • My wife and I both got the HTC HD7 Windows Mobile 7 Phones about a week ago, and I soon found that I could not sync my Outlook 2010 contacts.  None of solutions that are offered transfer my contact in-tact.  Its' like I bought an I-Phone, and tried to make it function with Outlook 2010.  Both of the phones are being sent back to T-Mobile today, and we will stick with our HTC HD2 Windows Mobile 6.5 Phones.

I have been an OEM for MS for 20 some years, and I have never encountered such a blunder. If I wanted an IPhone, I would have bought one, I wanted a device that is absolutely compatible with the 6 Windows 7 computers in my office like 6.5 is. I am not a novice, I have degree in digital computer technology, and have been in business for over 22 years installing, and supporting MS products.

Did Steve Jobs design Windows Mobile 7?

sábado, 12 de marzo de 2011 3:19
  • Returning my LG Quantum to AT&T today.  It's been only three days of frustration, and I just don't have to time to experiment and try to fix what they should have provided for in the phone / software - no outlook ability without paying for online sharepoint, etc.  no ability to sync up with oulook calendars and contacts must be imported to LIVE.  Ridiculous.  In this day and age, these things are suppose to be EASIER, with fewer steps.  Done. Gone.  No more Windows 7 phone.  It's a disaster.
    sábado, 12 de marzo de 2011 19:27
  • WM7 is a mind boggling disaster. I cannot sync outlook to save my life. My WM7 LG E900H has an "Outlook" tile... Every time I try to use it or get it setup properly, it just says in bright green letters "Requires Attention". Perhaps Microsoft should heed their own bright green advice and direct some attention to the uselessness of the WM7.

The only (small) success I have got out of my phone at the moment is adding my Outlook email account as "other account". It is helpful in that I will receive all my Outlook emails to my phone, however it will not sync any contacts, calenders, tasks... etc.  I have been on the phone (land line of course) with Microsoft support for hours now and they don't even know what to do. Embarrassing.

domingo, 13 de marzo de 2011 19:49
  • Well thanks everyone for saving me a big expense and wasting my time on WM7.

Like everyone else I stupidly believed that I would be able to take my documents, contacts, emails on the road with me like I used to be able to with my Dell Axiom using that wonderful MS product Activesynh and then as I do today with my Nokia 5800 using Nokia OVI or PC Suite.

Now much to my absolute horror and embarassment, (after seling my wife on the benefits of WM 7), I know that I am just being an idiot.  What was I thinking that I would be able to synch my MS Office off my SME computers (not running Exchange) and go on the road with the data I needed.  Looks like my old Nokia and the existing software which allows me to do all I need using Symbian is the only answer.

Microsoft, I am an IT professional of over 35 years in the business and this has to be the saddest day of Microsoft for me.  This is truly an uninformed stupid ommission that will only continue to drive everyone to Android, Symbia and Apple.

You almost had my business - but this is a big failure!  What possible use is there for WM7 in the world and what possible use is there for WM Office?  Start talking to your users before we all leave you in droves!

martes, 15 de marzo de 2011 3:25
  • Clearly Microsoft's dominance has given it delusions of grandeur on a Napoleonic scale. How could they conceivable issue Windows Mobile 7 without the ability to directly sync to Outlook? I feel totally conned, because it's so basic that no-one would have thought to check before purchase. I 've happily run Mobile 6.1 syncing with Outlook 2002 for a long time.  Time to move lock, stock and barrel to Apple?
    jueves, 17 de marzo de 2011 1:46
  • I am so upset that I purchased a Windows Mobile phone.  I went with the HTC HD7 which looks great.  I've had nothing but issues with it.  The biggest issues is setting up my work Exchange email.  It simply won't sync!  After I finally got it to sync after some help, now it's stopped syncing once I went out of the country.  It's not the language settings, tried that.  It simply sucks!!  Plus I can't believe Microsoft doesn't sync Outlook contacts on the phone!  So retarded!  What's wrong with MS?  It's basic functionality that should be there!!! 

I'm very upset, was hoping to go against the grain and use Win 7 phone instead of IPhone or BB, now I'm switching!!

domingo, 20 de marzo de 2011 6:38
  • Plus it's so bloody tedious.  Once you're in the Exchange Activesync and you're entering your Server, Password, etc and it doesn't go through giving you an error message, you basically have to delete all that and type it in all again!  It's sooooo upseting.  I can't tell you how upset I am at Microsoft for putting out such a shite system.
    domingo, 20 de marzo de 2011 6:41
  • Correct on this point, Sam. It does take a while to sync. from Windows live to my PC. Also, for some reason I seem to need to click on send/receive. I'm running Outlook 2007 on a windows 7 PC. It's quicker syncing from phone to Windows live and windows live to phone. I still think windows 6.5 phones are superior to Windows 7 phones. The windows 7 phones are certainly prettier, but the 6.5 phones are work horses. I will also say that my HTC tilt2 froze on a regular basis running 6.5. Why can't we get a phone that just works.

miércoles, 23 de marzo de 2011 4:23
  • I just bought a Samsung Omnia 7 thinking Windows phone 7 was the logical choice. I'm just astounded that the simple task of an Outlook sync isn't possible. Don't need all the other farce-book and video crap. Just want a fast phone with a calendar. No wonder the recent smart phone comparison from Choice didn't even feature a Windows phone.

I got it from Ebay, so I've fried 500 bucks. I'll fling it to one of the kids and search for a 1ghz Win 6.5 phone.

After all the money my small business has spent with Microsoft over the years they should be ashamed.

(I've edited the swearing)

lunes, 28 de marzo de 2011 9:43
  • I solved the problem!  I took back the HTC Surround I recently got back to ATT.(Spent two weeks trying to sink it...yea, I know about the connector and Windows Live an Zune...but it was a boondoggle)  They gave me the HTC Inspire.  I downloaded the HTC Sync...Poof...everything works wonderfully.  I was a  little worried about the Droid OS...but so far so good...Great phone!  See ya Microsoft!
    lunes, 28 de marzo de 2011 21:49
  • Well that stops me from getting a Windows 7 phone, any phone that does not sync with Outlook (like every previous Windows Mobile / CE device did) is useless to me and pretty much any Outlook user that does not have Exchange server in their organisation.

I sure hope Microsoft is paying attention; Outlook users are probably the biggest supporters of Windows Mobile.

Maybe is this thread gets a huge number of ‘me too’ replies the problem will get some attention.

I’d suggest a Facebook protest group or something like that but I refuse to use Facebook.

miércoles, 30 de marzo de 2011 22:44
  • Same with HTC. Microsoft have certainly missed the ball here too.

As a (leading) software organisation MS should be ashamed of the amateur effort with Windows Phone 7. As a toy there is catch up somewhat to iPhone but still a long way short. As a business tool to synch with Outlook, windows professional 6.0 was far superior.. Some excuse that it is version 1.0 does not wash, MS can and should do better than this backyard software attempt.

After hanging back to get the Windows phone, so that I can synch, mail, calendar, and especially, tasks I am about to move to a professional system that can do the simple things successfully.

What a shame!

jueves, 31 de marzo de 2011 7:17
  • It can be done but the funny thing is i had to export outlook calendar to csv (windows) then inport to a gmail accoun to expport into a ICS file. What a crock of crap! google has to fix MS's fubar. you woudll think MS would have the brains and drive to make all those coders in India do it right cna make it all work together in harmony but no they have their heads so far in the "cloud" they lost sight of what the consumer wants, " Aproduct that works right" instead they tell us that is not what you want. this is what you want, a product that is not compatible with anything even itself.

Shud'av wud'av cud'av got me a droid or an iPhone. what a huge freaking mistake!

Now i have to jump through hoops every time my Microsoft calendar needs to add a appt to my Microsoft "Smart" Phone.

You know what here is your fix guys i am send this piece of kaka back to At&T and i am getting the freaking iPhone. That syncs with outlook no problem.

jueves, 07 de abril de 2011 20:59
  • I was stunned to find out that after I unpacked my new phone and wanted to sync it I didn't get it to start.

I have been a windows mobile user for years and it was plug and play. I had to take verbal abuse from iPhone users for doing so, but stuck with it. Finally my AT&T contract was up for renewal and got these phones yesterday. Am heading back to the store tomorrow and will be pissed if I get charged a restocking fee!!! 

Syncing my contacts, calendar and tasks between my laptop and phone has been my way of live and stay organized. I have 10 email addressed from various sources and Outlook has kept it together for me. That has been the reason for me to stick to Windows mobile.

I have seen so many reviews of this phone and advertisements, but no mention that this key concept has been eliminated.

I am pissed off too and in disbelieve...

Microsoft I hope you read this as you need to better understand how people use you products!!!!!!

domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 2:50
  • http://www.companionlink.com/windowsphone/outlook/ is some software that says it can do it, but here is the catch. You need a Google email account to sync to and from.

So will search further, but this makes no sense to me.

domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 3:20
  • Well..... I have been unwilling to accept that I have to return my phone, as Android will not do this either and don't want an Apple phone.

So I have plunged in the deep on this.

Possible Solution: It is a puzzle and it seems it is either their way or the highway so this is what I did.

I got my contacts and calendar to work, tasks not but maybe onenote will be able to or Microsoft will come with a fix.

I created a Ms Live account at hotmail.com and downloaded the Outlook Connector Plug In from the Microsoft website. After you got that all set up you can sync your contacts and calendar to your live acount (you will get a copy on the server which can serve as a backup). Your phone can sync with that too so there is the "indirect" sync.

Still struggeling to see when Outlook actually syncs other then when you start up/open your laptop and it goes and connects. No send/receive schedule thing found yet.

You have to reorganize your Outlook a lot though as you will get a new "PST'ish" folder with email, contact calendar etc. Your contacts you can drag and drop to the new contact folder and the plug in will Sync that to hotmail and your phone will pick up from there. I was able to make that my new default contact folder so no duplicate folder there anymore.

Having multiple email accounts is a bit of a struggle as I use multiple accounts and signatures in Outlook and don't want to forward everything to my new hotmail.

End result till now. I have two calendars. one syncs with hotmail and on to phone the other I use for work(gmail) and sync to Google calendar and from there to phone. Google offers a sync program that will allow you to sync the original calandar to Gmail and from there your phone can pick it up.

I need to run a few tests and see if I have a manageble solution, but am hopefull.

Goodluck for any of you trying as I hope it will be of help. I looked at what other phones do this and seems only the iPhone does it the "old" way.

Thanks for all the resources posting useful tips and I hope this will be of help to some others.

Rgds and feeling better about my new Win7 phone,

Eric (Microsoft should offer me a job as this can definitely still use some improvement)

• Propuesto como respuesta EBPHILLA domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 16:00
    domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 15:59
  • Well here my last update.

I tested and my contacts come in (via hotmail), my two calendars come in from hotmail and gmail and show merged on my phone calendar.

Tasks no solution found.

Other then that start liking the phone and am sure I will get used to my new Outlook life.

Goodluck to you all.

• Propuesto como respuesta sami ho domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 23:05
    domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 16:38
  • What we will do if we have 3100 contacts? The hot mail account will not allow more than 1000 contacts! Then you should have more than 3 hotmail accounts to get them to your windows phone! Further more you will nit be able to know if you are duplicated a contact! Also you will not be able to search by the company name which means your built data base is useless with windows phone 7! Microsoft has a lot to do to update this system. I wish I can return my phone but the dealer is not accepting. What a pity!
    Hossam
    domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 23:20
  • Forgot to tell you that you will miss all the categories you make for each contact and they will be useless with this version of windows mobile 7. For your information also I lost more than 200 $ from the time I bought this phone as it is nit moving in the market in anyway. My phone is HTC hd7.
    Hossam
    domingo, 10 de abril de 2011 23:29
  • I'm so sorry that I didn't read this before I signed a contract a week ago for a Windows 7 phone - HTC Mozart. For one week I'm struggling to synchronize my calendar and contacts with my telephone. I bought a windows phone for exactly this reason - seamless synchonizing. What a disaster - how could a company have so little insight in what business users need?
    lunes, 18 de abril de 2011 9:17
  • In exactly the same boat as the rest.  Did loads of research before buying my HTC HD7, and none mentioned this absolutely bizarre, utterly infuriating problem w/ Outlook syncing.  

I'm furious and embarrassed.  And rather sad that my shiny new phone is going back to 02 tomorrow.  

Absolutely appalling.

lunes, 18 de abril de 2011 18:27
  • Well Folks!  I was in the same boat and am close to finding the answer.  I really liked the way active sync worked with my 6.1 phone but it looks like whether we like it or not, we will all have to start getting used to web based programs.

Once the sync process is set up, the phone will sync in the background without having ever to worry about it as long as you are connected (can just be thru wi-fi and doesn't need a data plan).  A change to your outlook will be sent automatically to your hotmail Live account and your phone will sync to that.  It isn't always instant but it doesn't take too long to happen.

In order to sync outlook with your windows 7 phone you will first have to upgrade to Outlook 2007 or 2010.  You'll probably be looking at upgrading Microsoft Office at the same time to keep things seemless.  If you have a small business and dont have or want microsoft exchange, you can download "microsoft hotmail connector" (free) which will take the place of the requirement for subsrcibing to microsoft exchange. You will also need a windows live account. 

I have tried it with Outlook 2003 and "hotmail connector" and can see both calendars on my outlook screen however cutting and pasting events etc.. is cumbersome so its not good enough.  I was close to getting it to work but i'm not an expert.  if someone could figure that out for all of us that would be great.

I haven't tried upgrading my MS office or MS outlook yet but supposedly once set up the sync between phone and pc will be automatically updated thru "hotmail connector".

Maybe someone can try this out, confirm it does what it supposed to do and maybe we'll get a fine tuned simple instruction of how to make it happen for all of us.  Other than the difficult sync setup the rest of the phone is great.  I hope its not too late to keep microsoft as a player in the cell phone market.

• Editado djbug jueves, 21 de abril de 2011 16:09 typo
    jueves, 21 de abril de 2011 15:42
  • Well I for one will not have my clients personal information on the net. I would imagine apart from being unethical it would raise legal issues of privacy. I will be changing phones. And won't be buying a Windows PC again.
    lunes, 25 de abril de 2011 4:51
  • What a disaster lads and girls. I just purchased the HTC 7 Pro which I had to purchase SIM Free as it's not on any contract in Ireland and low and behold I can't sync outlook contacts. It was the first thing I looked to do and as it's not possible the phone goes back in the box and I'm back to my old HTC Touch Pro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5. Microsoft improved absolutely nothing on this phone; it's a real f**k up in my humble opinion. I can’t believe that nobody in MS was able to foresee this issue, for God’s sake it’s the only reason most of us buy windows phones. We defiantly don’t be buying it for Xbox live, which is something I’ll never use and neither will I ever use Zune. Why is Microsoft gone mad pushing social media and windows live and other secondary phone uses while they forget what actually attracts customers to Windows phones in the first place. I might as well have an iPhone or Android Phone as have a Windows phone if I can’t sync directly between phone and outlook, in fact I think I will buy an iPhone as it’s now easier to sync between iPhone and Outlook than between Windows Phone and Outlook. Good luck MS, I off to get my iPhone.

Paul

martes, 26 de abril de 2011 15:10
  • Purchased a Dell Venue Pro with Windows 7. Very disappointed and angry that the simple functionality that I had in earlier versions of Windows mobile are NON EXISTENT in Windows 7.

Can't sync directly from my PC!

No way to synch Tasks or Calendars.

Trying to synch contacts!  Impossible.

This is not a phone to use with business or for personal information.

Placing business or personal files on the network in order to synch them to the phone is against the rules of computer usage at my company.  I can't believe that Microsoft would do something like this!

This is the worst experience that I have every had with a Windows operating system.

DO NOT PURCHASE any machine with Windows Mobile 7!!!

The phone is being returned tomorrow!!

miércoles, 27 de abril de 2011 0:54
  • Customers have been experiencing problems about sync between Windows Phone 7 and Microsoft Outlook. Many solutions are out there but our customers are asking for easier to use information.  I wanted to share out this Guided Walkthrough. It has step by step instructions and hopefully customers will find this a more user friendly experienceJ. I hope people find this to be helpful. (Discl: I sit on a Microsoft team)

http://bit.ly/hQPy3F

miércoles, 27 de abril de 2011 2:13
  • This is really kind of bluffing! We are asking about offline synch without using the clouds! Never the less I am using this way with my HD7 as I do not have other way here and I the dealer did not accept returning back the phone. There are several serious problems in this way. The most important is with windows live you can not have more than 1000 contacts!!! So you will need 2-4 windows live accounts! What a proficienal way is this! Also you will be able to synch the categories which you spent years to build them in the outlook contacts lists. A lot of other problem are there such as after you have your contacts on your mobile you will not be able to sort them by company name. You need a very good memories to remember the pizza hot man name to call for delivery!!!!! What a shem! Do not buy any Windows 7phones mobiles as Microsoft soft has a lot to do to improve this toy applicable system. 
    Hossam
    miércoles, 27 de abril de 2011 5:35
  • Anybody knows a way to synch the data in Microsoft money program! I do not what to say really, I have used the Imate PDA for which operate windows 3.1 version without any serious problems and found it was much better than what is called version7 from data collection point of view.

Hossam
    miércoles, 27 de abril de 2011 5:53
  • Customers have been experiencing problems about sync between Windows Phone 7 and Microsoft Outlook. Many solutions are out there but our customers are asking for easier to use information.  I wanted to share out this Guided Walkthrough. It has step by step instructions and hopefully customers will find this a more user friendly experienceJ. I hope people find this to be helpful. (Discl: I sit on a Microsoft team)

http://bit.ly/hQPy3F

What a load of crap. I don't want to use an online service to sync outlook and when it doesn't even do it right, well forget it. I want contacts to sync directly from Outlook to phone via USB cable. I want all my contact info to sync including contact images and categories. I also want my tasks to sync and flagged emails. Microsoft have taken something that worked fine and made a complete balls of it. Got my iPhone today from store which is alot better than the Win phone anyway and now that the sync option is gone there is no reason for everybody to do the same.

Fair play to Apple, when they do something they do it right and when they bring out a new version it's an improved version not a great leap back.

miércoles, 27 de abril de 2011 13:11
  • I was looking at a Win Mobile phone for the very reason of connecting with Outlook like my 6 yr old Windows phone did with ease.  From what I understand listening to Steve Balmer, Microsoft is purposely forcing people away from Outlook (unless you buy exchange) and toward hotmail so they can get people online where they get advertising revenue.  Everything is about advertising and the cloud now so the local Outlook users will probably find very little help.  My Android connects to Outlook better.

viernes, 29 de abril de 2011 4:52
  • This has really frustrated me as well.  Microsft has gone the way of Google and everything is about getting people to the cloud where they can scan all your info and market to you.  The goal is now advertising dollars according to Steve Ballmer not program development.  I think local sync will be dead soon unless people are willing to pay for it (exchange, etc.)

viernes, 29 de abril de 2011 5:03
  • FINALLY got my LG Quantom synched with Outlook!! WHAT A NIGHTMARE. NOW I KNOW WHY MICROSOFT IS LOSING THE WAR TO APPLE!!

First of all, what was wrong wtih simply using "Windows Mobile Device Center? You would think with the newest versions of each operating systems (Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 7), that synching would be a breeze. Whoever designed this craptastic idea needs to be drawn and quatered.

First. Follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1832&showpage=1

After several different attempts, I think this is what finally made the difference:

Run a registry cleaner first.

Do not, I repeat, do not change the primary calendar in your hotmail account UNLESS AND UNTIL you have everything set up first in Outook. This means, 1) download Outlook Conncector first. 2) Close Outlook. It should update Outlook Connector when you do. 3) Re-Open Outlook 4) Add your live account as a new account in Account Settings 5) Close and Reopen Outlook Again 6) Copy your calendar as suggested 7) Close and Re-open Outlook Again 8) Lastly, then change your calendar.

Well, that's been my experience anyway. After all that, you'll probably be like me and want to become an Apple user and punch Bill Gates in the pie-hole.

• Propuesto como respuesta EuroPhilC sábado, 04 de febrero de 2012 10:16
    martes, 17 de mayo de 2011 20:04
  • I TOTALLY agree.  Glad I didn't spring for the Windows phone thinking it would be better than my iPhone.  I, too, will NOT be forced to sync through "the cloud".....maybe I should just spring for the Mac computer and take this "wonderful" HP Windows 7 computer I  just purchased back to where it came from!!!!! 

sábado, 21 de mayo de 2011 23:22
  • I TOTALLY agree.  Glad I didn't spring for the Windows phone thinking it would be better than my iPhone.  I, too, will NOT be forced to sync through "the cloud".....maybe I should just spring for the Mac computer and take this "wonderful" HP Windows 7 computer I  just purchased back to where it came from!!!!! 

The best feature of a windows phone was the sync with Outlook.  I have been using it since it came out.  I have alot of contacts and they want a copy?  Okay add me to the list of folks leaving the Windos Mobile system.

Maybe it's time to look for another contact managment software? Is ACT still sold?

Clouds are puffy things in the sky they come and they go.

domingo, 05 de junio de 2011 14:41
  • Yep.  That "Same Boat" is getting full.  I can't even just start over with the onboard calendar.  I have a lot of events that occur on the 3rd Tuesday or whatever.  That optiond doesn't seem to be available on the calendar and I don't seem to be able to even copy and paste.  I started using Windows PDAs about 10 years ago.  I'm losing functionality with each "upgrade" Microsoft offers.  I've lost letter recognition, easy Contacts, Calendar, and file synchronization and I haven't even got the thing activated for more than a few minutes in the store.  I may very well return this phone and move to an Iphone or Droid. 
    domingo, 05 de junio de 2011 15:53
  • Been nearly a year and I stayed with HTC HD2 running WM 6.5 waiting for a answer/workaround for the wm7/outlook debacle. It ain't happening so I'm off to but a new HTC sensation running android. For anyone wanting to stick with MS and get a WM7 phone the only hope is to purchase a product called Companionlink but I', not going to buy 3rd party software to link 2 MS products, ridiculous!
    Peter R Ferguson
    lunes, 06 de junio de 2011 5:47
  • The Mango update has been shown in Taipei with Skydrive sync. Will this allow Outlook sync via skydrive???????
    Peter R Ferguson
    martes, 07 de junio de 2011 21:23
  • OMG what a [expletive omitted] mess! As an IT Professional who appreciates Microsoft technology and products I cannot believe what they have done with Win Mob 7. 

My new Samsung Omnia 7 is going back in the box until Microsoft finishes off this beta software called "Windows Mobile 7". The Nokia E71 is coming back out as it does everything a business user needs, albeit with some 3rd party apps that costs about £30 in total. 

It didn't even occur to me that it would be impossible to do an offline sync with Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop! One of the killer features of using Outlook and Win Mobile or so I thought! I cannot believe this hasn't been implemented. 

I will be telling all my business customers that Windows 7 Mobile is CRAP and not worth looking at. To all my domestic customers I'll be recommending the iPhone. 

p.s. Microsoft hasn't even implemented Twitter support out of the box! God if you're going to do social media then at least do it properly.

sábado, 18 de junio de 2011 20:27
  • Sadly bought a mobile 7 phone before reading this forum. Good to see Microsoft is still standing firm and not doing anything useful for its long suffering users, especially when they ask for it. To repeat most of the above I want to plug my phone into the PC and have full sync options like active sync and device centre with no further screwing around required. I then want to move office docs back and forth as required with a click and drag.

MICROSOFT ARE YOU LISTENING?

Loyalty can only survive for so long if the product is not useful. My brand new hTC is on ebay and i'll probably get android.

• Propuesto como respuesta John Cvetko viernes, 24 de junio de 2011 1:23
    • Votado como útil John Cvetko viernes, 24 de junio de 2011 1:23
    lunes, 20 de junio de 2011 3:52
  •  

BETTER OF THE POORER OPTIONS

I owned one of the first HTC's with the great sync funtion (didn't have problems) and the even better text recognition for writing sms 's and emails on screen. Sadly both are no longer on the HTC phone.

Unfortunately in my role as the manager of a Business Development Center I need a phone to sync my growing list of meetings and like so many, assumed once something worked, no one would be silly enough to change it. I bought a HTC HD7 on that basis and expected sync capacity at PC to Phone level.

Firstly: Shame on you MS for not recognizing that the majority of the world is still made up of small to medium enterprises who don't run exchange servers, but benefit greatly by being mobile. I seem to remember a decade ago you bragging about how you could achieve this for us. As many before have said, you're making it harder, not easier. Can't wait till someone hacks into cloud technology and everyone starts writing PC to phone sync programs again.

HAVING TO MAKE IT WORK

Being one of the trillion plus small businesses, I just made an investment and now have to make it work as best i can. I must add: if I wanted my contacts and PC info on the web I would simpy turn off my virus protection and send a note to the ether saying come and get it. Anyway;

Small business will buy and pay money for something that works, but first we look at value. On that basis I checked out the Microsoft no cost option for trying to sync outlook to Windows 7 phone. Outlook connector and Windows live sync. Here's my 3 days of frustration and what I ended up with.

Setup windows live and downloaded Outlook Connector (Just what I wanted, another useless email account that doesn't add value and another password to remember)

Seriously??? I have to copy paste my contacts and calendar across? What was that Lotus 123 command again? Surely that's the technology they are using. Failed three times, had to run repairs, don't like anything about it.!!!!!

Looked at Companion Link www.companionlink.com (only get the pro if you have more than one calender) the majority of small business don't.

Given it's not Microsoft (who have lost the skill of writing user friendly instructions) the guys here have put together a user friendly upload and installation, getting started interface.

Anyway other than the fact the tasks are not handled the best (they aren't by any software either, other than the original active sync) this is worth the $50 dollars and I am back working rather than wasting time playing techy. You need to set up a Google account and I used my existing email, makes sense huh!

I still want Microsoft / HTC to develop a sync for PC to Phone, or given everyone's displeasure and MS's aviodance, someone else to do it and take the cream. You'll have my support. This is the first time I have ever written in an online forum, that's how mad this made me Mr MS.

viernes, 24 de junio de 2011 1:59
  • So John, is companionlink worth it at $50.00? Does it do tasks?
    Peter R Ferguson
    viernes, 24 de junio de 2011 2:21
  • Oh. My. God. Really?!

Once again MS has released a faulty product that was so poorly thought out that the market should just dump it. Is MS purposely trying to tube the Windows Phone?

I'm a developer and was going to start writing Windows 7 apps. No thanks. Not wasting my time.

I'm now stuck with a WM7 phone. Useless.

• Contacts change regularly. I'm not uploading a new contact every time info changes
    • If I change a contact on my phone, I don't want to have to remember, open it in Outlook, and manually edit it.
    • I have used connector with Windows Live. It crashes Outlook regularly.

This is another in a long list of release failures by Microsoft. In my opinion, MS owes everybody a free OS upgrade. This is like sending soldiers into war with guns but no bullets.

This is almost too stupid to believe. Wow.

miércoles, 06 de julio de 2011 0:56
  • What can I say, another victim choosing MS instead of other OS. Solely because I thought it would seamlessly integrate with outlook. No wonder Mobile 7 is losing its market share!!! and really fast....
    miércoles, 06 de julio de 2011 13:50
  • I have faithfully used Windows from the first Windows CE through the iterations of Mobile, and now I bought the HD7S.  I'm an IT consultant for MS products for 20 plus years.  Beforehand I found out there were Remote Desktop apps (only 3rd party, and for a price), and I could sync with Exchange.  Turns out the Remote Desktop apps are NOT RDP protocol, and they all require an installation on the server.  It also turns out may Exchange provider is not ready to sync with WP7.  This, coupled with no sync to Outlook is utterly astounding.  I have to return the WP7 phone and go back to my Mobile 6.1 phone.  Since MS has no plans to integrate these core apps with their phone, I guess I'll be forced to go to a different platform soon.  I am really bummed that I have to leave MS.
    jueves, 07 de julio de 2011 15:29
  • I just sent my new HTC Trophy Mobile 7 phone back to Verizon; I will revert to my HTC Imagio w/Mobile 6.5 for now.  Very disappointed in MS for not offering a local sync option for those of us that use Outlook.
    sábado, 13 de agosto de 2011 14:26
  • Microsoft did what they do best, yet again.  They took the "MUST RELEASE THIS PLATFORM BY HOLIDAY X OR BUST" route, and as usual, released an OS that was full of bugs, holes and missing core componenets.  Microsoft -  Get with it people, you have done a fantastic job of driving MS users to your arch nemesis, APPLE.  WTF (pardon) were you thinking, releasing "WINDOWS (thats the W, microsoft) P7,"  and NOT integrating it Office?!  Windows 7 is wonderful, after a little getting used to, WP7 is wonderful, with almost no getting used to.  BUT WHY!?  Why dosent WP7 integrate with your flagship office suite?  Come on, Microsoft, get your collective dim bulbs out of your collective dark rear ends and use what sense you have to notice the error of your ways.  Sheesh.  FYI, Love my Samsung Focus.
    jueves, 08 de septiembre de 2011 21:32
  • Same problem here:  looking for replacement smart phone (for my 4 year old Palm) which will sync with Office Outlook that's on a single lap-top (not on a server or exchange server). 

Does anyone have a solution yet?  It's Sept. 2011.  Am I understanding correctly that only a iPhone will seemlessly sync with Outlook and not force one to change to a cloud-hosted gmail or google calendar & contacts?

sábado, 10 de septiembre de 2011 18:55
  • Just went through the ordeal and wish now I had bought an Android. I still have 28 days so this may end up back at Sprint. The only two things I cared about was Exchange server access for my employer and desktop access for my local nonwork related Outlook usage.. 10 email accounts, hundreds of contacts, graduate student so everything school and schedule nonwork is attached to there.

I used my Live account and set it up in Outlook with Outlook Connector like everyone has said.

IF you use pictures for contacts in Outlook you must do the drag and drop/copy route (you can do all at once) as the export/import didnt seem to work for bringing over my contact photos.

I can not find an easy way to bring the whole calendar at once yet, but still trying.

Really crappy on Microsoft's part. I have held onto my Mogul for 4+ years waiting for the right replacement product and I already miss my Mogul.

martes, 13 de septiembre de 2011 23:23
  • Jim,

I totally agree as a small business guy that also uses his phone for personal use this is unacceptable. There are several reasons I use Microsoft Office Pro to have several catagories in my Outlook. Fortunately I was able to do all these things with my HTC Touch Pro 2 that has 6.5 mobile pro edition. The only thing this phone lacked was better hardware like the front facing camera and faster processor and more RAM. It is like Microsoft is telling me they don't want my business anymore and we are not gonna meet your needs.

Because of the way Windows Mobile 7 works I will not be getting one of those phones and am now concidering using the HTC Droid Incredible 2 and just get the apps I need to continue using my Outlook as it is, but there goes the rest of the Microsoft Office Professional things like Powerpoint, Access and Excel that I was syncing with the phone.

If anyone knows of a way to relay this info to Microsoft please feel free to contact me on it cause I really want them to know they need a better solution then using only the Cloud to sync the phone.

miércoles, 14 de septiembre de 2011 15:32
  • Same problem here:  looking for replacement smart phone (for my 4 year old Palm) which will sync with Office Outlook that's on a single lap-top (not on a server or exchange server). 

Does anyone have a solution yet?  It's Sept. 2011.  Am I understanding correctly that only a iPhone will seemlessly sync with Outlook and not force one to change to a cloud-hosted gmail or google calendar & contacts?

JoannaJ

Any and every BlackBerry will sync Office contacts, calendar, tasks and notes through BB Desktop Manager via USB cable (or Bluetooth).  A great little business communication tool.  My Office suite and my Blackberry are identical.  Kinda sad that it's such a secret here!  Good grief.

• Editado Bud Andrews miércoles, 21 de septiembre de 2011 0:30
    miércoles, 21 de septiembre de 2011 0:29
  • Companion link is not a suitable solution.  It totally messed up the contacts on my wife's android phone. 

martes, 04 de octubre de 2011 1:21
  • thanks for that reminder. my company has been pushing blackberry for years but I stayed with various Xda versions upto this year. Active sync was such a simple tool and swapped contacts outlook and email headers effortlessly.

Really regret getting the new htc HD7 and have struggled for days to get 1/2 the use out of it that the old Xda2 gave me. Zune is no good and hotmail wont sync my diaries from outlook safely. Have just found a second hand unused Xda in cashconverters and am going back to that for sanity sake.

Looks like I will have to give in and sign the corporate pledge for a blackberry. 

Oh and the battery life is shockingly short ,less than a day,if used for any phone or downloads, not good. Its probably going back to provider.

jueves, 06 de octubre de 2011 16:09
  • This is simply shocking.  I was annoyed enough at losing a physical qwerty keyboard and having less memory on my new 'phone than my last (I am not interested in the Cloud - 1 because I don't want to pay to access my data constantly, and 2 because I spend months at a time working in areas without mobile access but where I would like to be able to, for example, access all of my music and also abroad where I do have mobile access, but not wifi, so although I technically could access my data this way, I won't).

Not being able to sync with Outlook via bluetooth (or even USB) is a killer.  That was the whole reason for choosing this 'phone as opposed to an Android or Apple.  I'm putting my new Nokia Lumia on eBay now and using the money to buy another version of my last 'phone second hand.

miércoles, 23 de noviembre de 2011 9:54
  • It's true. MS will not allow you to sync locally with your Contact. (Ironically, iPhone syncs locally with Contact just fine.) MS is forcing you to their cloud while ignoring the outcries of the masses. They had a chance to rectify this major strategic error with Mango but decided against it again. MS has gotten really, really stupid in recent years. I'm done with MS. Will not buy any W8 products when released next year.
    viernes, 09 de diciembre de 2011 9:35
  • I have all but given up on the Windows 7 phone for syncing with Outlook 7. It's ironic that the iPhone syncs locally more easily than a MS phone. I had high hopes for the Windows 7 phone but I will either stay with my antiquated Blackberry until (hopefully RIM is still around) the new BB10 phone arrives next year. In the interim I am still looking at the iPhone.
    martes, 20 de diciembre de 2011 3:13
  • I have an OLD Cingular 3125 (made by HTC) running Windows Mobile 5.0. This phone syncs PERFECTLY with Outlook 2007 via Microsoft ActiveSync (running on the desktop machine). It is the ONLY reason I am still using this antique phone (that, and the fact that this phone is manufactured extremely well... nothing has snapped off or fallen off or peeled away after 5 years of use). Somehow, I am not surprised that Windows Mobile 7 (or 7.5) does NOT support syncing like their old OS did. And their market share keeps sliding. Gee, I wonder why? This is why I am NOT buying a new Windows phone. I have the money to do it. I'm willing to sign another ridiculous AT&T contract. But not being able to sync with Outlook on my desktop... no way! I'll just keep using my antique HTC phone.
    martes, 10 de enero de 2012 23:34
  • What a total screw up. I didn't see this thread before buying my Dell Venue Pro. Always wanted that phone because of the design with the touch screen and the physical keyboard. I can't stand on-screen keyboards. I heard issues about the phone a year back but they seem to have been fixed. Assumed for sure I could sync it with Outlook 2010 or even 2007 or even 2003. Activesync has been doing it for years and as an IT Engineer been setting this up for people on various phones. My Nokia E71 syncs nicely with my old work exchange e-mails. Yet I'm now shocked to hear Mobile 7 doesn't and is forcing people into the cloud which I'm not interested in. I like Microsoft and I like Windows XP and Windows 7. I like their software. But this is a total screw up. Phone is being boxed back up and being sent back. Avoiding Windows Mobile 7 and will not be recommending it to anyone. Won't be going to Apple as hate them as well. If this phone could take Android I'd be wiping it and putting that on. Windows Mobiles 7, pile of poo. I also predict Windows 8 will be as much a failure as Windows Vista. What is happening to Microsoft :(
    domingo, 15 de enero de 2012 23:55
  • Wake up Microsoft!!!

This is a rediculous situation; for years I have been able to sync my last three Sony Ericsson phones (not even smartphones) with Outlook.

I have alway kept my contacts and calendar in sync, taking only a couple of minutes to do so, now apparently my nice new shiny Win Phone (Lumia 800) is incapable of performing this simple task.

So simple I didn't even check if this was possible - it just seemed so obvious a task for a Windows Phone with Office Mobile.

Get a grip.

martes, 06 de marzo de 2012 18:42
  • I just can't believe it.  My hard-to-find HTC 7 Pro with a snazzy physical keyboard running Windows 7.5 Mango does not sync everything to Outlook via USB!  Absolutely the last thing I even considered and I'm devastated and angry and the whole current (non) process is a complete DUD!

My first Windows PDA when Adam was a boy was an iMate PDA2K that was rich with functionality and synched perfectly and instantly to Outlook via USB with the included ActiveSync.  Although it was a brick it was a god-send in terms of my ability to be mobile in my small business operation but have all the data with me I needed, including all my Notes data which I regularly referred to. 

It was only through multiple phone drops that I decided to move forward, and because I have always wanted a physical keyboard (I hate on-screen keyboards), I searched hard to find a device that came close to matching functionally what my old iMate could do.  I came up with a HTC Touch Pro2, also with a great keyboard, running WM6.1.  Again, straight out of the box I could plug it into my PC and so easily sync all my important Outlook data using ActiveSync 4.5, none of this cloud nonsense or risk.

Three or so years on, and wanting to move with the times and a faster phone and snazzier operating system, and because I'm clumsy and keep dropping the phone, I searched long and hard to find another Windows phone with a good physical keyboard, but that was already running WM7.5 Mango 'out of the box', instead of me taking the risk of upgrading the OS myself.  Not so easy to find such a phone, but with persistence I tracked down through Expansys the next iteration of the Touch Pro2, being a HTC 7 Pro with physical keyboard, out of the box with WM7.5.

Great phone and I never even considered that out of the box it would not sync quickly and easily and directly with Outlook, via whatever would be the latest version of ActiveSync.

Of course in parallel with all of this, I moved recently to a new laptop running Windows 7, from an older laptop running XP and Outlook 2003.  Quite a torture moving over all my favourite software, and migrating my Outlook data etc, and getting used to Office and Outlook 2010 with all the ribbon nonsense which wears my eyes out looking back and forth along the screen at pictures when previous simple text lists were so much faster to work with. 

Anyway, I excitedly started the process of wanting to sync between my new Windows 7/Office 2010 laptop set-up and my new Windows 7.5 phone, only to learn to my distress after much research including belatedly finding this forum, that I can't do it without ridiculous convoluted time-wasting and uncertain processes, that seem to involve one method for one part of the Outlook data that I want to sync, and another method for another part of the data, possibly involving a piece of 3rd party software, as well as working in the cloud via Hotmail or Google or something, and still none of those methods allow me to sync my much-loved and used Outlook Notes to my Windows 7.5 phone. 

For God's sake, Outlook 2010 doesn't even have an included one-click function to send an Outlook Note to OneNote 2010, but does so for Tasks and Emails!   Was someone out for coffee at Microsoft when that kind of integration should have come up?  What the? The only way I can 'simply' get Notes into OneNote in some attempt to sync them to my new phone, again via the cloud, seems to be via SkyDrive or SharePoint, so a separate 'in the ether' process to syncing data to my phone that I want to have.   No simple 'just plug it in' method anymore, that was the big attraction for me in the first place.   Outlook 2010 even has less functionality than my old Outlook 2003 had, and I can't even get the Outlook Shortcuts bar and the Folder List and the Message Panes coming up in the one view with one-click in the way I used to, and I can't even add a link to OneNote in the Navigation Pane now, in the was I was able to put a link in Outlook 2003 for access to apps that I quickly wanted to move to, in order to suit my work processes.  Outlook 2003 was far more flexible.

In the end I feel like I have regressed to the dawn of time, and Microsoft has put me in this position, and I can't believe that I have less seamless functionality and flexibility available to me than I had nearly 10 years ago!  All I now have is shiny, pretty, new and faster devices and software that have cost me heaps but that can no longer 'talk' to each other, and that have wasted countless hours of my time trying to explore why they can't, and how I can make them easily talk.  But I've concluded I can't!

I've concluded I'll have to persist with my Touch Pro2 / WM6.1 Phone, at least it works.  But guess what?  ActiveSync4.5 won't work on my Windows 7 laptop, and WMDC won't talk to my WM6.1 device.  So, I'm also having to go back to my old Windows XP laptop and Outlook 2003, because at least all the bits still work and talk together!

Just what kind of Neanderthal thinking at Microsoft has brought me, as a long-standing and loyal customer to this point?  I feel completely screwed over.

WAKE UP MICROSOFT!

viernes, 09 de marzo de 2012 0:43
  • That's unbelievably frustrating, arrogant, useless and time-wasting. When you buy a phone (Nokia Lumia 800) with the Windows logo on it the least you expect is to save you all the hassle sorting a thing any sensible handset would do - import your meetings and contacts from Outlook! Is this so much? What you end up instead is with tons of useless pieces of software, work arounds and still nothing at the end. I'm getting rid of this thing now. Shame on Nokia, shame on Microsoft! I've tried so hard not switching to iPhone or Android being Nokia user since decade or so but I'm done with that! Can't bear this any more!
    domingo, 11 de marzo de 2012 8:24
  • Wrong, this solution still does not work seamlessly.  You need to run everything via windows live and even then the phone calendar deosn't sync backwards into Outlook.
    viernes, 18 de mayo de 2012 8:07
  • I know this doesn't help with the problem, but I will say using an HTC Desire for the last two and a bit years and Google Calendar, it all just works.  Why anyone would want an iPhone and the complicated iTunes stuff that goes with it is beyond me.  I like the KISS principle, the simpler the better.  I've never had an issue with the Android / GMail combination.  I also have an Exchange account and my own domain name email account on the HTC Desire too.  Hope this can help someone.

Adrian Scotter

domingo, 01 de julio de 2012 18:27