none
SBS2003 to SBS2011 Migration Exchange Public Folder issue

Pregunta

• Please just skim read this first

My original Thread

I am following the official Microsoft SBS2003 - SBS2011 Migration document and am at the Migrate Public Folders section.

Yesterday afternoon I started migrating the public folder and everything was going smoothly, pressing F5 on the source server I was seeing the folder structure getting smaller and smaller and folders disappeared out of Public Folder Instances as stated in the migration document.

By the time I left work at 5:30, I had one folder left, Info Archive which is 424MB in size, which I just left running hoping it would finish over night.

Came in this morning to find the source server giving me this:

I (rightly or wrongly) assumed I was getting this because I hadn't activated the SBS2011 box. Activated the SBS2011 box and rebooted both boxes.

kicked off the 'Move All Relicas' option again, but nothing seemed to be happening.

Checked the SBS2003 status and the SBS2003 server was showing as unavailable, checked the services and found some exchange services were disabled and not running. Re-configured those and sbs2003 showed as available again:

The SBS2011 box has all the public folder folder hierarchy there, including the info Archive folder but that obviously hasn't migrated correctly yet because it hasn't disappeared from the sbs2003 server and I'm wondering if the licensing error is responsible for this?

How can I check if this last folder is actually replicating at all?

...continued in next post

MCSA Server 2008 MCITP Server 2008 Administrator MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support on Windows Vista CompTIA A+

viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 12:21

Respuestas

• ok VERY weird

just rebooted both server and the last public folder has disappeared from the Public Folder Instances list on the sbs2003 box.

Problem solved by the looks of it .....

/shrug

MCSA Server 2008 MCITP Server 2008 Administrator MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support on Windows Vista CompTIA A+

• Marcado como respuesta Guyver-1 martes, 24 de julio de 2012 9:38
    viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 15:45

Todas las respuestas

• Here is the Public folder Instance on the sbs2003 box:

and here is the Public Folders Management console on the new SBS2011 box:

the info Archive is set to urgent and i have run the Move all Replicas command multiple times and rebooted both servers again to try and kick the replication in but I have no idea if I can actually monitor replication traffic in real time to see if anything is actually happening....

Any advice and assistance at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Leon.

viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 12:25
  • I have successfully migrated the OAB and successfully migrated the Mailboxes.

I cannot continue with the migration wizard until the public folders have finished.

viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 12:27
  • Can you export-import this one last remaining PublicFolder as a pst onto the new box?
    viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 12:42
  • Can you do that with a command?

We normally do that with a 3rd party piece of software.

Tried logging in as a user and opening outlook to get at the public folders.

Outlook 2010 automatically found the exchange account and configured.

Open outlook and get an error message saying cant open default e-mail folders

Turned off changed exchange mode and disabled offline mode and restarted outlook

still the same error

viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 14:22
  • Checked the message tracking :

When I try to double click on SBS2011 in Status I get this error:

viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 15:21
  • ok VERY weird

just rebooted both server and the last public folder has disappeared from the Public Folder Instances list on the sbs2003 box.

Problem solved by the looks of it .....

/shrug

• Marcado como respuesta Guyver-1 martes, 24 de julio de 2012 9:38
    viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 15:45
  • Hi,

Towards the public folder migration, it will take a period of time to complete the migration processing – public folder replication.

From your last reply, it seems that the public folders have been migrated successfully after rebooting the server. In order to verify the status of the public folder, I think you’d better run the following command in EMS:

Get-PublicFolderDatabase | Format-List
    Get-PublicFolderStatistics | Format-List

And there are many useful commands for public folder. You could run the follow command to query the commands related to the public folder:

Get-Command | Where-Object {$_.name –like “*publicfolder*”} | Format-Table -Autosize

Towards the public folder migration, there is a link for your reference:

Title: How to Move Public Folder from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010
    URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/agobbi/archive/2010/08/04/how-to-move-public-folder-from-exchange-2003-to-exchagne-2010.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

lunes, 23 de julio de 2012 8:22
  • Thank you for the information James, very helpful

cheers,

Leon.

martes, 24 de julio de 2012 9:37