none
XP SP3 Windows Update: [Error number: 0x8024D001]

Pregunta

• Installed 3 fresh copies of XP PRO SP3 on three lenovo desktops, first worked fine but the second two I cannot get any windows updates.  [Error number: 0x8024D001]

Tried reinstalls.  Updated to IE8, updated agent and installer.

Delete registry keys for updates

Tried various microsoft fix it tools and still no luck.

3 days at this so please somebody help!

martes, 20 de agosto de 2013 15:55

Respuestas

Todas las respuestas

• Try this fix from MS. Run the fix it tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281

tried it already numerous times, error remains
    • Propuesto como respuesta upci1 miércoles, 18 de diciembre de 2013 19:54
    • Votado como útil upci1 miércoles, 18 de diciembre de 2013 19:54
    • Propuesto como respuesta upci1 miércoles, 18 de diciembre de 2013 19:54
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 8:43
  • Try this link www.update.microsoft.com to update your Windows Update Agent.

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 11:12
  • Try this link www.update.microsoft.com to update your Windows Update Agent.

No tried it too, same message
    • Propuesto como respuesta upci1 miércoles, 18 de diciembre de 2013 19:55
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 11:27
  • I have nothing productive to offer except to confirm that I have experienced the exact same set of circumstances (and tried all of the same things) to no avail.  In my case it's a DELL Dimension.  This is definitely a new development as of this month, because I have had to reinstall Windows XP Pro on DELLs as recently as earlier this month.  Clearly something has changed with Microsoft or Windows Update.  So I'm at a dead-end same as craftierdave.    
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 12:33
  • Apparently there is some magic in writing to this forum because after probably 25 tries Windows Update is now working.  Perhaps Microsoft changed something.  If it was something I did, then all I can say is that I tried all of things mentioned by craftierdave and perhaps I added one more thing to the mix, which is that I brought Internet Explorer security settings down to their lowest possible levels of security.  So obviously not a recommended procedure!  And it may not have had anything to do with why it suddenly started working for me.  But it's finally working. 
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 13:01
  • I have nothing productive to offer except to confirm that I have experienced the exact same set of circumstances (and tried all of the same things) to no avail.  In my case it's a DELL Dimension.  This is definitely a new development as of this month, because I have had to reinstall Windows XP Pro on DELLs as recently as earlier this month.  Clearly something has changed with Microsoft or Windows Update.  So I'm at a dead-end same as craftierdave.    

I'm was starting to think microsoft had flicked a switch so new installs couldn't be updated to kill off xp!

Thanks for posting as I know I'm not going insane!

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 13:07
  • Apparently there is some magic in writing to this forum because after probably 25 tries Windows Update is now working.  Perhaps Microsoft changed something.  If it was something I did, then all I can say is that I tried all of things mentioned by craftierdave and perhaps I added one more thing to the mix, which is that I brought Internet Explorer security settings down to their lowest possible levels of security.  So obviously not a recommended procedure!  And it may not have had anything to do with why it suddenly started working for me.  But it's finally working. 

I could do with some of that magic!  I've tried lowering the IE settings still no good.  Reset policies.  Checked activex, compared it to the working copy on other lenovos...  banging my head off the wall here
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 13:48
  • Try this fix from MS. Run the fix it tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281

tried it already numerous times, error remains

Try downloading the full DVD with windows updates and see if it fix it.
    I'll give it a go
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 13:49
  • By the looks it, all the fix it tool does is enable Automatic Updating in the Control Panel... It doesn't actually fix the 0x8024D001 error!

My best guess would also be that Microsoft have 'turned off' the web update site, most likely in preparation for XP's grand death on April 08th next year!

Until then, I would imagine Automatic Updates are our only option...!

James

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 15:22
  • By the looks it, all the fix it tool does is enable Automatic Updating in the Control Panel... It doesn't actually fix the 0x8024D001 error!

My best guess would also be that Microsoft have 'turned off' the web update site, most likely in preparation for XP's grand death on April 08th next year!

Until then, I would imagine Automatic Updates are our only option...!

James

I had set it to automatic updates but still nothing coming down.  If they have done what I think they have done, they should have really let us know!  I have a spare laptop I might check the theroy.
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 15:25
  • Nope, it appears I stand corrected...!

Not quite sure what they've actually done, but if you have a look at the following KB article and download the - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928/en-gb - And download the required Windows Update Agent manually from there and install and try the Windows Update site again it now works! You are prompted to install the latest Microsoft Update agent as a first step but then can go on to the usual 'Express' and 'Custom' options you expect to see!

James

• Propuesto como respuesta RPGGHOST2001 viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 5:00
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 15:47
  • Nope, it appears I stand corrected...!

Not quite sure what they've actually done, but if you have a look at the following KB article and download the - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928/en-gb - And download the required Windows Update Agent manually from there and install and try the Windows Update site again it now works! You are prompted to install the latest Microsoft Update agent as a first step but then can go on to the usual 'Express' and 'Custom' options you expect to see!

James

not for me it dont.  it does not even attempt to allow the activex, i get the error number above and 'The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view'.  Not having any other problems with other computers in the same OU in AD so it cant be a policy issue.

i dont get it

• Propuesto como respuesta Wadoski jueves, 30 de enero de 2014 17:18
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:01
  • Did you download and install the new Windows Update 3.0 exe from the KB article above? Did that install successfully?
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:08
  • Hi everyone,

I am happy !?!?!?

I am not alone with same problem since yesterday 3PM GMT. Sorry I am from Belgium.

But, I am a little far :

First I installed manually Framework 3.5 also microsoftfix.wu

I not more havre this error, but when I launch update, it seem to work but do nothing
    and svchost.exe take all ressource of CPU and 37Mb RAM

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:11
  • Did you download and install the new Windows Update 3.0 exe from the KB article above? Did that install successfully?

yes done it, a few times now, i was expecting that to work but it didnt.
    miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:19
  • Hi everyone,

I am happy !?!?!?

I am not alone with same problem since yesterday 3PM GMT. Sorry I am from Belgium.

But, I am a little far :

First I installed manually Framework 3.5 also microsoftfix.wu

I not more havre this error, but when I launch update, it seem to work but do nothing
    and svchost.exe take all ressource of CPU and 37Mb RAM

my error started friday, thursday no problem i installed and updated xp fine on a same make and model desktop, the next two desktops i have been unable to update

i may have to take an image of the working one.

i downloaded .net 2.0 sp2 and ran the microsoftfix, waste of time

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:23
  • Hmmmm very strange... Not sure what to suggest now then I'm afraid, that fixed it straight away for me...! :/

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:26
  • Hi everyone,

It works with my system !!! But please be very very very patient.

My system is a fresh installed XP Pro SP3, just activated, firewall off

With automatic update turned on but chose "checheck ...but let me choose to download.. 

I repeat, install

- Framework 3.5
    - microsoftfixit.wu.run.exe

And be patient....

I hope to be helpfull

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:31
  • Hmmmm very strange... Not sure what to suggest now then I'm afraid, that fixed it straight away for me...! :/

yup very strange...

thanks for the suggestions all the same,

i installed a 3g mobile device to connect to the internet and removed it from the network just on the off change some how the proxy was blocking something which wouldnt make sense...

guess i may have to admit defeat with this

miércoles, 21 de agosto de 2013 16:32
  • I've the same probem in Italy since yesterday. Fresh XP professional installation, Framework 3.5, microsoftfixit.wu.run.exe and all the other tests above but nothing different: the error persist... :( by the way, in other forums it seems that we're not alone...a lot of pepole have the same problem since the past week.
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 8:45
  • I've the same probem in Italy since yesterday. Fresh XP professional installation, Framework 3.5, microsoftfixit.wu.run.exe and all the other tests above but nothing different: the error persist... :( by the way, in other forums it seems that we're not alone...a lot of pepole have the same problem since the past week.

Well at least I'm not alone in this.  Nearly a week of this error, I doubt this will be high on the priority list for them to sort out.
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 9:02
  • Hi everyone!

you're definitely not alone on this..

Had the same trouble today on fresh install of XP SP3.

What i've tried to do:

-reinstalled SP3 - no change

-enabled automatic updates - no change

-installed WU agent v3 (download link above in this topic) - it started to work...

Just in case it can be useful for someone...

• Editado AE777 jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 10:58
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 10:58

yup very strange...

thanks for the suggestions all the same,

i installed a 3g mobile device to connect to the internet and removed it from the network just on the off change some how the proxy was blocking something which wouldnt make sense...

guess i may have to admit defeat with this

Did you try downloading the full DVD with MS updates?

I know that if fixed it for me when I ran if from DVD.

can you post a link, i keep getting a 256k iso file that cant be right
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 13:17
  • just installed xp sp3 on a dell laptop, same error wtf?
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 14:06
  • I installed WU agent v3  but still not working .. I' m downloading the ISO . I cannot post the link but if you type in google "August 2013 Security Release ISO Image", the first link would be the correct one (2.64GB)
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 14:10
  • I installed WU agent v3  but still not working .. I' m downloading the ISO . I cannot post the link but if you type in google "August 2013 Security Release ISO Image", the first link would be the correct one (2.64GB)

will do, thanks
    jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 14:23
  • Hi Italy,

Not forget, I use a very official license, no crack !!!
    To me is the proble solved.

jueves, 22 de agosto de 2013 17:50
  • Installed 3 fresh copies of XP PRO SP3 on three lenovo desktops, first worked fine but the second two I cannot get any windows updates.  [Error number: 0x8024D001]

I had same problem, try turn off automatic update > OK(close system properties) and after this automatic update again turn on. from this moment i not have with manual update problem.
    viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 9:15
  • It seems August was posted as:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39830

For other iso:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086/en-us

thanks for the links, i downloaded august updates (4 for xp in total) and still the same problem.
    viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 11:42
  • Hi Italy,

Not forget, I use a very official license, no crack !!!
    To me is the proble solved.

i dont use cracks, my xp sp3 is licence authentic
    viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 11:44

I had same problem, try turn off automatic update > OK(close system properties) and after this automatic update again turn on. from this moment i not have with manual update problem.

i wish it was that simple
    • Propuesto como respuesta alwaker sábado, 23 de noviembre de 2013 15:48
    • Votado como útil alwaker sábado, 23 de noviembre de 2013 15:48
    viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 11:44
  • It seems August was posted as:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39830

For other iso:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086/en-us

thanks for the links, i downloaded august updates (4 for xp in total) and still the same problem.

Could you post a screenshot of the installation from DVD?

Did you run sfc on your computer?

the download i got from the link post consisted of updates for various MS OS's, i just ran the exe for xp.

no point running sfc really seeing that i have 3 computers with the same error from two seperate xp installation disks.  I'm so puzzled by this, i really cant think what more can i do.

viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 13:35
  • Hi, my licence is official and corporate
    viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 15:22
  • the same for me .. :(
    viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 15:24
  • Hi everyone, please read my solution here above !

Greetings

viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 15:33
  • Hi,solved for me!!!!!

I installed the windows update agent 7.4.7600.226!

download.windowsupdate.com WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

x64

download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

Itanium

download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.2.6001.788/windowsupdateagent30-ia64.exe

viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 16:09
  • I've been looking for this darn download forever and Google just couldn't get it!

Thanks a ton this worked perfectly.

viernes, 23 de agosto de 2013 17:16
  • Thanks, this worked for me
    lunes, 26 de agosto de 2013 5:38
  • no point running sfc really seeing that i have 3 computers with the same error from two seperate xp installation disks.  I'm so puzzled by this, i really cant think what more can i do.

What happens when you click on KB2849470 exe? Please post a screenshot.

I thought that may be sfc would find a problem. I thought you said that only 2 had the problem and third was fine. Is the third have the same problem?

the download install successfully.  the first desktop was fine and then the problem began, i then out of curiousity tried a fresh installation on a laptop (off the network) and connected it via a mobile broadband device just to rule out any policy that maybe effecting connecting to the site.  I am at an absolute loss as to why this started happening friday before last.
    lunes, 26 de agosto de 2013 12:46
  • got it sorted!!

downloaded one of the windows fixes, my proxy was blocking the downloads for it when i first tried to run it, by passed the proxy and the fix worked, i'll post the link shortly

martes, 27 de agosto de 2013 11:21
  • http://download1154.mediafire.com/7izbi3uu057g/t1pvpp55v6aejpy/WindowsUpdateAgent7.6.7600.256-257.zip

7.4 didnt work for me but 7.6 did, worked when i removed my proxy

still stupid i have to run this everytime i do an install but i'm just glad its working now

thank you all for your replies

• Marcado como respuesta craftierdave martes, 27 de agosto de 2013 11:36
    martes, 27 de agosto de 2013 11:35
  • The link craftierdave posted worked for me as well, although I had gotten it off another site.  Just rebuilt an old XP machine and this batch file saved the day.  Definitely keeping this lil' guy handy. Thanks to whoever built it!
    martes, 27 de agosto de 2013 15:46
  • Hello, try to set to recieve notifications when new updates are available. Then reboot the PC and wait for the notification (the yellow shield icon in the task bar). Click it apply the updates, after that try WINDOWS UPDATE in IE.

• Propuesto como respuesta Psyanic viernes, 13 de septiembre de 2013 22:51
    • Votado como útil Psyanic viernes, 13 de septiembre de 2013 22:54
    miércoles, 28 de agosto de 2013 1:56
  • I struggled with same crap for 2 days.    Barely just got it working.

Not sure what did the trick, but after a clean dell disk Win XP SP3 install I first did:

Installed Google Chrome, since IE 6 sucks.

I installed Net Framework 3.5  and then 4.0 after (since 3.5 didn't make a difference)

Downloaded the Wuindows Update Agent x86 from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932139.aspx

Placed in my root drive (C:)

Start menu run   "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce"

Then updated IE 6 to 8.

Restarted.

Ran Windows Update from IE 8.  Downloaded a quick update and then it worked!!

Was a major pain in the a$s, all that after 3 fresh OS Wipes,  first SP3, then SP2 , then back again to SP3...   Seems like a major issue on Microsoft's end; lot of people having this problem this month.

Also if you tried to run the update previously or have it to auto update your computer will probably be completely hosed and insanely slow.   You have to go to the process manager and kill svchost, you'll probably notice it's taking up nearly 99% of your resources,  well at least on this single core old laptop I'm working on .

Hope this helps someone, cheers@!

• Propuesto como respuesta Southpaw386 viernes, 30 de agosto de 2013 23:15
    viernes, 30 de agosto de 2013 23:13
  • I run a computer repair shop and do these fresh XP SP3 installs all the time.  Something has definitely changed with the Windows Update website in the past two months or so because it is now really slow to process updates and often doesn't work at all.

Sometimes it does this weird, useless, redirect thing and sometimes it fails with 0x8024D001.

Anyway for all those who have installed XP SP3 and IE8 afresh, tried the 2497281 fix and still get 0x8024D001, try rebooting after applying the fix.  I found that worked for me.  I now see the scrolling progress bar when checking for updates, although it is still really slow to present the updates to me.

I guess this is just Microsoft making life difficult as usual. 

martes, 03 de septiembre de 2013 14:00
  • From the comments above, this is what I found worked for me;

1) Installed Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 from here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928/en-gb

2) Ran Windows Update and it immediately offered to install another update to Windows Update,

which I did.

3) Installed IE8 from here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944036/en-gb

4) Rebooted then re-ran Windows Update

It works!! Tested it on two PCs with fresh installs of XP Home SP3

My 2penneth is that it appears that Windows Update no longer works with IE6. I just wish MS had made this more well known - it would have saved me a lot of time and grief!!

domingo, 08 de septiembre de 2013 21:57
  • Hi All,

as the others I have had the same issues. I found that after installing .Net 3.5 and applying the latest update agent from
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932139.aspx resolved my issue

Good luck to you guys out there with this

lunes, 09 de septiembre de 2013 9:38
  • Hello, try to set to recieve notifications when new updates are available. Then reboot the PC and wait for the notification (the yellow shield icon in the task bar). Click it apply the updates, after that try WINDOWS UPDATE in IE.

Tried fixit and turning off/on updates, but no change.  Tried setting to "receive notifications" and rebooted.  Yellow shield popped up with one update.  Applied it and it came back again with multiple updates.  Thanks PEIN !
    • Propuesto como respuesta Marsinphilippe domingo, 15 de septiembre de 2013 12:35
    • Votado como útil Marsinphilippe domingo, 15 de septiembre de 2013 12:35
    viernes, 13 de septiembre de 2013 22:53
  • Hello everyone.

I have the solution.

Download and install
    - InternetExplorer 8
    - Windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

Restart computer and all works again.

domingo, 15 de septiembre de 2013 12:37
  • Hello everyone.

I have the solution.

Download and install
    - InternetExplorer 8
    - Windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

Restart computer and all works again.

THANK YOU it works as hell :-)
    miércoles, 18 de septiembre de 2013 14:02
  • Yes it did.  I was a little surprised but for me this worked on a Dell Latitude D531 with a fresh install of XP w/SP# due to a virus that got by McAfee.

PC Support Specialist Goodwill Detroit

martes, 24 de septiembre de 2013 21:10
  • This worked for me.  Thx :)
    martes, 01 de octubre de 2013 15:07
  • I struggled with same crap for 2 days.    Barely just got it working.

Not sure what did the trick, but after a clean dell disk Win XP SP3 install I first did:

Installed Google Chrome, since IE 6 sucks.

I installed Net Framework 3.5  and then 4.0 after (since 3.5 didn't make a difference)

Downloaded the Wuindows Update Agent x86 from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932139.aspx

Placed in my root drive (C:)

Start menu run   "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce"

Then updated IE 6 to 8.

Restarted.

Ran Windows Update from IE 8.  Downloaded a quick update and then it worked!!

Was a major pain in the a$s, all that after 3 fresh OS Wipes,  first SP3, then SP2 , then back again to SP3...   Seems like a major issue on Microsoft's end; lot of people having this problem this month.

Also if you tried to run the update previously or have it to auto update your computer will probably be completely hosed and insanely slow.   You have to go to the process manager and kill svchost, you'll probably notice it's taking up nearly 99% of your resources,  well at least on this single core old laptop I'm working on .

Hope this helps someone, cheers@!

So glad to have found this discussion as I also thought I was going a bit crazy with Windows Updates not working all of a sudden.  The method described above by Southpaw386 also worked for me.  Initially I did a clean install with an older SP2 disk I had.  Then updated to SP3 with the install file (not Win Update).  Then I tried a number of things to try and get automatic updates to work but nothing seemed to do the trick.  Having read this discussion, I just started fresh with an install disk slip-streamed with SP3.  Then followed the sequence above and automatic updates were working.  Thanks for all the helpful posts.
    jueves, 03 de octubre de 2013 18:51
  • Ran into this this morning on a Compaq desk top. Tried a few things that did not work. The fix for me was a re install of service 3 and this time I chose the turn on automatic updates option when I rebooted. Updates are downloading as I type.
    domingo, 06 de octubre de 2013 20:33
  • Funcionou para mim, excelente!
    jueves, 10 de octubre de 2013 19:11
  • I' ve the same problem reported above .. i've installed a Fresh WinXP Sp1+ i've installed Win Sp2 + I've installed Win XP Sp3. Then no way ,always the same error  when trying to do windows updates (Error number: 0x8024D001) .. After i've only installed wndowsupdateagent30-x86 and , without IE 8, always works fine.

Bye

viernes, 11 de octubre de 2013 14:38
  • I've been having this issue for a few days. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the computer but then I had to rebuild another one and that was doing the same.

I tried just updating the installer to the 7.4 as I might have done previously but no joy.

Tried 7.6 from Mediafire but no joy and tried deleting the Software Distribution folder but also no joy.

I even tried setting Automatic Updates for download but let me choose when to apply but just hung on 15% after initially looking positive.

I agree with the 'IE6 not working with the Windows Update site' conclusion as I reinstalled XP SP3 again (I have it slipstreamed) and just installed 7.4 and IE8 as per a couple of the posts above and now working as it used to.

MS have clearly changed something but at a time when soon the updates for XP will be dropped, we could at least do with the ability to fully patch XP up to that date so there aren't based XP SP3 PCs with no updates since Summer 2008 when SP3 came out!

MS... please at least consider XP when you are making changes to the update site - at least up until 08/04/2014!

I don't get why those on here seem to be getting different results i.e. some saying it worked for them just installing 7.6 when that didn't work for me or some others. Very odd but caused by MS changes I suspect.

Thanks to those who worked out the various solutions!
    • Editado jec911 viernes, 11 de octubre de 2013 15:47
    viernes, 11 de octubre de 2013 15:47
  • Try this:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.2.6001.788/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

lunes, 14 de octubre de 2013 9:18
  • This is nothing short of shocking!

Thanks for the help Southpaw386, I can now run updates but it is still a very frustrating experience - it takes a long time and especially when it installs Genuine Advantage tool and then seems to hang "running processes after install".

Come on MS, all I am trying to do is clean up some old PC's after replacing them so I can give them away!

• Editado Briser jueves, 17 de octubre de 2013 11:01
    jueves, 17 de octubre de 2013 11:01
  • This worked for me...

Downloaded the EXE file suggested, and this ran then I was able to proceed where before I was getting the error 0x8024D001

Many thanks.

• Propuesto como respuesta J. Fischlein viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013 11:38
    jueves, 17 de octubre de 2013 20:19
  • This worked for me:

Install Windows XP with SP3
    Install .Net 3.5 (Full version)
    Update Windows with use of InternetExplorer 6 and install the ActiveX "WindowsUpdate" from Microsoft.
    Try update Windows again - It will now look like it is downloading updates, but it doesn't.
    Close InternetExplorer 6
    Install InternetExplorer 8 WITHOUT updates.
    Update Windows again, and it should work now.

viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013 11:40
  • Just in case this helps someone else:

This is how I solved.  I installed XP Pro SP2 (the original media).  I then downloaded and installed XP SP3, IE8, and the windowsupdateagent30-x86 update agent.  Finally...Windows is checking for the latest updates - manually - from the windows update site.

• Editado 1SASOR viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013 19:59
    viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013 19:57
  • Your mentioned proxy and for some reason that was checked on my machine.  Unchecked the http 1.1 through proxy connections and it works now.  OMG

sábado, 19 de octubre de 2013 20:19
  • I solved installing .net 2.0!
    martes, 22 de octubre de 2013 15:03
  • Don't know if anyone still needs help but this is what I did.

-Install ie8

-install .net 4

-Enable automatic updates (this is what made it work for me)

miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2013 19:24
  • The fix it'snever fixed anything for me but broke other stuff, i recommend avoiding them. and looking for the active X and other uddates to the installer and the update agent, in other words, solve the problem yourself instead of using these "fix its" that fix nothing and break other things.
    sábado, 02 de noviembre de 2013 15:55
  • This worked for me:

I installed .net framework 3.5 and then as a result, the preivous .nets that I was missing were installed.  Once I restarted, I was suddenly prompted to "turn on Windows Automatic Updates".  Then I clicked on Windows Update and the site opened perfectly.  I think this was the key for me and it was way easier than trying 100 other things, etc...

lunes, 04 de noviembre de 2013 22:23
  • Install XP Pro from CD/disk.
    When prompted during the install, do not turn on automatic updates.
    Install whatever drivers you need, like networking, etc.  Do restarts if prompted.
    Immediately then install IE-8, but check NO updates when prompted.  (watch for the little box)  IE-8 is available online (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8).
    Restart PC after installing IE-8.
    Turn on automatic updates via Control Panel.
    Wait for the yellow shield, might take a few minutes.
    You should see ONE update available, package update KB898461, install the update and you should be good.

Windows update will no longer give you an error message.

It appears that the problem is that IE-8 is required to do updates with a fresh install of XP.

Good Luck.

miércoles, 06 de noviembre de 2013 1:40
  • I had same problem, try turn off automatic update > OK(close system properties) and after this automatic update again turn on. from this moment i not have with manual update problem.
    Had to install Win XP today and got this error too. After read some of replies here, this method worked nicely. When XP asked me if I want to turn on/off automatic updates during install, I chose not to install them. When I turned updates on later, Win started to download stuff immediately. Manual update worked fine since then. (you can turn off automatic updates later if you want)

• Editado SashiX sábado, 09 de noviembre de 2013 22:02
    jueves, 07 de noviembre de 2013 22:13
  • That worked for me! Thank you SO much. I spent two days working on this!
    viernes, 08 de noviembre de 2013 2:55
  • I tried the install of service pack 3 after getting an initial error message when trying the Windows Update but then got the error 8024D001 after loading service pack 3. I then tried the Fix It button from the following URL and it worked like a champ and now i can check for Windows Updates.

sábado, 30 de noviembre de 2013 8:40
  • Try this software.

WSUS Offline Update

It is meant to update windows offline.

It will download all wanted updates and create an update client that will be used to update windows.

It updates all versions of windows.

sábado, 07 de diciembre de 2013 19:24
  • I had same problem read this http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-fix-windows-xp-update-svchost-redline-issue-soon-230940  now the fix go here and down load the new update agent http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1pvpp55v6aejpy/WindowsUpdateAgent7.6.7600.256-257.zip  download it run it than go to windows update click the get it now once that's all done and you've installed the active x to determine what revision your using don't try to update yet go to control panel security automatic updates turn off than reboot to stop servhost    if its started running that's the redline problem than go to and download http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8 Then Download And install http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41074 than go here and follow these instructions http://www.ehow.com/how_6828610_windows-xp-won_t-update.html  now that's the order i used but i used fire fox to download these things and from the download folder i saved the insulation files made my cmd notepad and saved to flash drive reloaded windows xp pro sp3 and followed the steps in the order above and it worked i wouldn't turn automatic updates on until Microsoft gets this fixed  Hope it works for you as it Did for me
    domingo, 08 de diciembre de 2013 1:51
  • This worked like a champ!!!  I can't tell you how long I've dealt with the same pain staking things I read on this thread.  Got to this method and worked like a charm!  Thanks RPGGHOST2001
    viernes, 20 de diciembre de 2013 22:38
  • OK, so yesterday I did a clean install of XP PRO SP1. Windows update won’t run, gives me error 0x8024D001. After installing IE 8 and applying SP3 same thing. Turned on automatic updates and ran Microsoft Fix it 50777. No change. Did the Method 1: Register the Windows Update files, and Method 2: Replace the Windows Update SoftwareDistribution folder, no change.

I reboot and now I get to the Welcome to Windows Update screen, but it checks forever never ending. What a complete waste of hours and hours.

viernes, 27 de diciembre de 2013 16:27
  • I was successful

install the agent

download and install WUD, Lists

windowsupdatesdownloader.com/Download.ashx?type=prog&id=2

windowsupdatesdownloader.com/download.ashx?type=ul&id=7

install the updated version of WUD download

Windows update activities

I'm not fluent in english so much sympathy :)

• Editado Boy Alone miércoles, 01 de enero de 2014 2:38
    miércoles, 01 de enero de 2014 2:20
  • Jerry Bradley is right. Thanks!

This fixed it for me:

1. Installed WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    2. Installed Internet Explorer 8
    3. Reboot
    4. Opened: Control Panel > Automatic Updates > Turn off... > OK
    5. Opened: Automatic Updates > Automatic > OK
    6. Yellow Update shield icon appeared in the tray with the needed updates
    miércoles, 22 de enero de 2014 1:20
  • After running the MS FixIt several times without any improvement, I downloaded from the link above and all now appears to be well. Thank you!
    miércoles, 22 de enero de 2014 2:54
  • Thank you very much, it worked for me!
    jueves, 23 de enero de 2014 5:41
  • Perfect!!! this is the only that function. Thanks!
    jueves, 30 de enero de 2014 17:16
  • Some manual to fix this error are given below:

Disable the automatic updates from the “automatic updates” windows.
    Scan entire computer with good antivirus.
    Start computer in safe mode.
    Some problem with the file wups2.dll, so need try to register it:
    For windows XP (Go to run item on start menu and type) and for windows Vista (go to start search box on the start menu and type):
    a. For 32-bit Windows enter the following lines:
    net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv

b. For 64-bit Windows, the second line differs due to the location of the DLL file:
    net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    for more details 

http://www.fixwindowsupdateerror0x8024d001.com/

sábado, 01 de febrero de 2014 12:28