none
Exchange 2010 and Default Domain Controller

السؤال

• Hi. I need to get rid of an old Domain Controller due to it's age and replace it with a newer one. Problem is that this old one seems to have a large role in our Exchange 2010 environment.

I say this because when I enter "Get-ADServerSettings | f1" from the Exchange Management Shell, it lists this old domain controller as "DefaultGlobalCatalog" as well as the DefaultPreferredDomainControllers". I do also have another, newer Domain Controller running Server 2003 that is listed as the "DefaultConfigurationDomainController", and this DC is the one that I'd like to use for the defaults. Lastly, I have a third Domain Controller that is newly built with Server 2008 64-bit that is located on a different subnet but was intentioned to replace the older DC.

From the Exchange Management Console, I see the option to "Modify Configuration Domain Controller" when I right-click on top of Server Configuration icon. But my choices are limited to either use a Default Domain Controller (which I suspect is the DC that I am wanting to get rid of) or to Specify a Domain Controller. This seems limiting to me and I'd ideally like to use New DC1 as my Default and Newer Still DC2 as the backup to it.

Under Server Configuration in EMC, when I view the Properties of each of my two Exchange 2010 nodes, I can see under the System Settings that the old DC is listed in both boxes - "Domain Controller servers being used by Exchange" as well as "Global Catalog Servers being used by Exchange". I see no options to change these servers, nor do I see my 2008 DC3 listed.

So, in short, can anyone help in answering my questions about how to remove my old DC safely and dcpromo it and send it off to server heaven WHILE NOT crashing my entire Exchange mail capabilities for 3,600 people? And can someone please tell me how I might incorporate my new Server 2008 DC as a member of the Domain Controller/Global Catalog Server group that can be used by Exchange 2010? Oh by the way, my 2008 DC does show as a Global Catalog Server as the Server Type in AD Sites and Services.

Thanks much!

05/ذو القعدة/1431 09:46 م

الإجابات

• There should be AD events  2080 in event viewer  to monitor, this will provide more information on the different roles selection by Exchange server.

Also increase the diagnostic logging AD and you get events

Click on Mailbox server under server object and select diagnostic logging for AD access.

select cache,cg,topology ,general and ldap .

Monitor specifically for 2080 events and check netdiag , dc diag for any errors - shoudl help

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Khoj Sahiwala 05/ذو القعدة/1431 11:17 م
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Gavin-ZhangModerator 14/ذو القعدة/1431 09:54 ص
    05/ذو القعدة/1431 11:17 م

جميع الردود

• Hello

Make the other domain controllers as Global Catalog as well. Once the Global Catalog role is done initializing, Go to the EMC and "Modify Configuration Domain Controller", select Specify a domain controller, and select the domain controller you wish to use.

Before you remove the old domain controller from your network, make sure you transfer all the FSMO roles if any to the other domain controllers.

A suggestion might be for you just turn off the old domain controller for say about a couple of days and see if everything is still working..if so then you can bring back online and demote it.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    05/ذو القعدة/1431 11:15 م
  • There should be AD events  2080 in event viewer  to monitor, this will provide more information on the different roles selection by Exchange server.

Also increase the diagnostic logging AD and you get events

Click on Mailbox server under server object and select diagnostic logging for AD access.

select cache,cg,topology ,general and ldap .

Monitor specifically for 2080 events and check netdiag , dc diag for any errors - shoudl help

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Khoj Sahiwala 05/ذو القعدة/1431 11:17 م
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Gavin-ZhangModerator 14/ذو القعدة/1431 09:54 ص
    05/ذو القعدة/1431 11:17 م