none
Exchange 2007 SCC to CCR with new storage

Dotaz

• Hi,

We have an Exchange 2007 Mailbox Servers in Single Copy Cluster environment with physical servers, now we are facing performance issues with storage connected which is iSCSI storage. Now we wanted to migrate to new storage which is high end Hitachi FC storage. Our existing Mailbox servers do not have feasibility to connect FC storage, hence we also wanted to move Mailbox Servers to virtual environment hosted in vmware infra.

Now i have below 2 queries

1) Is Single copy cluster(SCC) is better option or Cluster Continuos Replication (CCR) is better option while considering the virtual environment?

2)Can we use Database portability option to speedup the entire migration so that manual movement of mailbox can be avoided. I understand Outlook 2007 clients will get auto updated with autodiscovery feature post database portability and "move-configonly" command but how abut outlook 2003 clients ? Do we need to manually configure them again or Outlook 2003 clients also will get auto updated ?

As per the below article outlook 2003 clients will not get auto updated and we need to manually chnage the config to access the new mailbox server.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/moving-exchange-server-2007-database-mailbox-servers.html

Kindly suggest the better way to migrate to new setup.

Regards Mahesh
    1. února 2012 16:48

Odpovědi

• Hi,

I think Outlook will try to connect to the old database and then update the configuration to connect to the new database.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Označen jako odpověď A.Mahesh 1. března 2012 11:30
    27. února 2012 5:54

Všechny reakce

• 1) Is Single copy cluster(SCC) is better option or Cluster Continuos Replication (CCR) is better option while considering the virtual environment?

SCC is Single Point Failure. has its Shared Storage

I would always recommend CCR.

2)Can we use Database portability option to speedup the entire migration so that manual movement of mailbox can be avoided. I understand Outlook 2007 clients will get auto updated with autodiscovery feature post database portability and "move-configonly" command but how abut outlook 2003 clients ? Do we need to manually configure them again or Outlook 2003 clients also will get auto updated ?

Upto my Knowledge. You need to manually Recreate Profile. Cause Olk2003 cannot understand the change.

I would recommend move mailbox. Not Database Portability,

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in
    1. února 2012 17:31
  • Hi Satheshwaran,

Thanks for your revert.

1) Is there any known issues with respect to SCC in virtual environment,even i have seen that vmware also mentionied in whitepaper that Exchange 2007 Mailbox Servers testing is done with CCR but not with SCC.

2) Any specifc reason to go ahead with Mailbox movement rather than database portability ? i mean apart from Outlook 2003 client issue...

I am just trying to get more details so that we can recommend senior management accordingly with best technically feasible solution and set the timeline expectation.

Regards Mahesh
    1. února 2012 18:07
  • SCC - Is a  Single Point Failure,

CCR we can Say its a upgraded version of SCC for more high availability.

CCR has more Features and its a healthy environement regards replication . You always have a copy of your database , If one Server fails .

Recovery has more options.

But SCC

If your DISK fails. No other options. Just go ahead and Restore from Backup and Rebuild the Server.

Database Portability. If the Database has less Corruption . If it mounts fine . And Your DC replications are fine your Users Connects back with No issues.

But if your database has more corruption of DC has some little Replication issue. Your plan requires more work with bit of a Stress with Risk.

But If your Go for Move mailbox.

Its Just as smooth With 0% Stress.

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you
    1. února 2012 18:29
  • Ensure that you have reviewed and met all the support criteria

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794548(EXCHG.80).aspx

You will also need to ensure support from the vendor as listed in the SVVP programme.  Ensure your virtualization version is there. 

I would strongly advise you to do move mailbox for multiple reasons (as already mentioned above)

• Client profiles will get updated automatically
    • Parallel migration
    • Easy back out if issues arrise
    • Can build up new solution without impacting existing deployment
    • Can test new solution without impacting existing environment
    • Can move users in managabable chunks

Not sure what you think you are getting by copying edb files around?  If it is the manual comment, then automate this with PowerShell.  Job done :)

Cheers, Rhoderick
    3. února 2012 3:20
  • Hi Rhoderick , Satheshwaran

Thanks for your guidlines and help.

Since Mailbix movement activity is time consuming,generates huge Tx logs and depends on Backup completetion...we are thinking to go for DB portability just to speedup the migration activity. However as a Technical person we are also more confortable with Mailbox movement activity.

BTW what about out look 2003 clients  if i use DB portability? i think i need to configure them manually again...right ? what you say in your view...

Earlier i have tested that when mailbox is moved from one server to other server, even outlook 2003 clients also got updated automatically, i havent done any manual changes. But i am not sure when i use DB portability option....as i mentioned initially in msexchange.org article also it says older than  outlook 2007 clints will not get updated automatically as they dont understand autodiscover.

Regards:Mahesh
    3. února 2012 4:14
  • If the Server name and Ip is the Same.

You need not to reconfigure the Profiles Mahesh.

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you

3. února 2012 15:27
  • And that is part of the challenge - how will you have two servers with the same name and IP on the network + joined to the domain & cluster services installed etc etc, to build this up and test?
    Cheers, Rhoderick
    3. února 2012 15:43
  • If they are going to Speed up things using Database portability option . Most probably they should have a different Server name.

Cause they got change the firewall settings. So n so.

Its upto their plan !!

Decision is not mine.. Lolz

3. února 2012 15:55
  •  Hi All,

While reviewing all support policy in below article, i found that Exchange guest machine should be running Windows 2008 64 Bit. Does this mean that if Exchange 2007 is installed on a Windows 2003 64 Bit guest machine then Microsoft will not support this scenario or this is not the recommended way ? are there any issues ?

Currently my production servers in physical are running with Windows 2003 SP2 64 bit OS and Exchange 2007 SP2, changing the OS in virtual environment mean there will be multiple changes and any issues arising will also be a great challenge.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794548(EXCHG.80).aspx

Kindly help...
    6. února 2012 12:24
  • You need to adhere to what is listed in the support requirement documentaiton, else if you run in to issues you will NOT receive the support that you would previously have been entitled to.

At this time, there really is no drawback from deploying Windows 2008.  You are going to have to make a new separate cluster anyway......

I'd say that the move to virtualization will be the harder part to get right :)

Cheers, Rhoderick
    6. února 2012 15:11
  • Hi All,

We had couple of discussions to finalize the migration approach, below is the plan

1) Instal Fresh servers in vmware environment

2)Install Exchange 2007 in SCC/CCR

3) Copy the Database file through storage LUN copy option

4) Crate Storage group in new servers and do the database portaility and move config only.

We left out with only one challenge that our environment is having around 30%(2000) of clients with MS Outlook 2003, now we are not sure that whether outlook 2003 clients will get automatically updated in MAPI profile or we need to configure them manually.

Could any one pls confirm on this pls... we are having a lot of trouble in mailbox movement because backup si going to take huge time and over all activity will take lot of time.

17. února 2012 12:26
  • Hi,

I think Outlook will try to connect to the old database and then update the configuration to connect to the new database.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Označen jako odpověď A.Mahesh 1. března 2012 11:30
    27. února 2012 5:54