none
Exchange 2010 Retention Tag Confusion

Dotaz

• I currently have a mailbox manager policy on Exchange 2003 that permanently deletes all items in all folders <including user created custom folders> except Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks after x amount of days.

When I started to research how to do the same thing in Exchange 2010, I got quite lost.

According to this, I have to create Retention Tags and then apply those tags to a Retention Policy. There are three types of tags, Retention Policy Tags <RPT>, Default Policy Tags <DPT>, and Personal Tags <PT>.

As far as I can tell, RPT only applies to default folders such as Inbox, Sent Items, etc. So in order to duplicate my Ex2003 policy to cover any user created custom folders, I have to use DPT. However, no where does it state that DPT does not apply to Calendars, Contacts, etc. like RPT does.

This guy states that DPT also does not apply to Calendars, Contacts, etc. but I could not find any MS documentation to back this up. Check the sixth paragraph in his post.

So any thoughts on how I can use Ex2010 MRM to get the same results as my Ex2003 policy?

23. března 2010 17:18

Všechny reakce

• Hi

"Dial Tone" schrieb
    > I currently have a mailbox manager policy on Exchange 2003 that
    > permanently deletes all items in all folders <including user created
    > custom folders> except Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks after x amount of
    > days.
    > When I started to research how to do the same thing in Exchange 2010, I
    > got quite lost.
    > According to this, I have to create Retention Tags and then apply those
    > tags to a Retention Policy. There are three types of tags, Retention
    > Policy Tags <RPT>, Default Policy Tags <DPT>, and Personal Tags <PT>.

I would stick with managed folders for this task.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee364744.aspx
    This is a technology since Exchange 2007 and is also available with Exchange
    2010. Retention policies are another technology for use with the archive
    mailbox and new to Exchange 2010.

Best regards
    Wolfgang

23. března 2010 18:12
  • I don't know if Managed Folders would do what I need.

I need it to be user transparent for sure, I cannot rely on the users to classify the messages first.

I need it to affect ALL folders except Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, and Journal. This means all of the user created custom folders as well.

It doesn't appear that Managed Folders can accomplish those goals unless I am misinterpreting the link?

23. března 2010 22:22
  • you may have to do a combination of things in some cases. But MRM should do most of it.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003
    24. března 2010 0:46
  • RPT tags can be applied to any item in any scope.
    24. března 2010 4:32
  • I misunderstand your post. I thought you are trying to clean "some"
    folders". Clean "all" folders can't be done with managed folders.

24. března 2010 6:21
  • Hmm getting more confused now by some of your replies. Let me rephrase my original query.

Will Default Policy Tags affect items in Calendar, Contacts, Task, Notes, and Journal folders?

24. března 2010 15:34
  • ahhh, now I got it :-)
    I also found no documentation about the specific folders.
    I tested it with a default policy tag. Calendar items were not affected in
    my test mailbox. I had no Contacts, Tasks, Notes and Journals, so these
    folders are not tested.

24. března 2010 16:14
  • Thanks for testing it for me. I suppose it should be fine but I will just note it down to test it before I apply it to be absolutely sure. I'm surprised MS didn't specify this as clearly as they did with the RPT section in their article.
    24. března 2010 17:41
  • DPT, Do not process 'Calendar' and 'tasks' items. but it does process 'Notes' folder.

To prevent from processing 'notes' folder you must include , a Personal tag ' Do no delete' , in your rerention policy.

Once users get this Tag, They can apply this tag on Notes folder , via OWA ONlY, not via outlook 

• Navržen jako odpověď Manju-MSFT 10. června 2012 22:08
    10. června 2012 22:07
  • It supported now with sp2 ur4.

Sukh

16. srpna 2012 8:20