none
Internet Facing FQDN

Frage

• Hi,

I am new to exchange 2010 , I have installed exchange 2010 standard on single server ( mailbox & hub transport together) . Every thing is working fine only few external domain are rejecting our smtp connection due to PTR record

#554 This server requires PTR for unauthenticated connections. ##

Received: from Exchange.mycompany.com ([fe80::b1df:474e:7f1b:9941]) by EXCHANGE.mycompany.com ([fe80::b1df:474e:7f1b:9941%11]) with mapi id 14.01.0218.012; Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:11:37 +0300

I feel that this is because of our internal and external differnet FQDN.

my internet fqdn is exchange.mycompany.com and external is mail.mycompany.com

I tried to change fqdn at internet send connector but no success

I want to ask how can i change internet facing fqdn to my server ?

Thanks in advance

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 05:32

Antworten

• Thanks for your reply , yes I can request to ISP to change it but still is there any way to change it from exchange server according to current public mx record and ptr record .

If you are being rejecting because you dont have a PTR defined, then only the provider responsible for maintaining those records can make that change - or if that ability has been delegated to you. I would contact whomever is responsible - ISP or Hosting company etc...

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012 11:57

Alle Antworten

• Hi 

If you've got a service provider or external company hosting your DNS, they should be able to add those records for you.

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 05:43
  • Thanks for your reply , yes I can request to ISP to change it but still is there any way to change it from exchange server according to current public mx record and ptr record .

Samstag, 16. Juni 2012 06:19

If you are being rejecting because you dont have a PTR defined, then only the provider responsible for maintaining those records can make that change - or if that ability has been delegated to you. I would contact whomever is responsible - ISP or Hosting company etc...

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012 11:57
  • hi,

>>>my internet fqdn is exchange.mycompany.com  and external is mail.mycompany.com

Can you explain to me that what is this?

I agree with others that you should ask your ISP or the service provider to help you add these records.

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Montag, 18. Juni 2012 09:56
  • It can also be that your PTR record and the ip your mailserver is actually going out on are not the same. For instance if you have more then one external ip, it can be that your "mail.mycompany.com" has a a and ptr record for one ip address but your outgoing NAT actually is going over another ip address. Example:

A - 1.1.1.2 - mail.mycompany.com

PTR - mail.mycompany.com - 1.1.1.2

MX mail.mycompany.com

Often the mistake is made to have the firewall (port) forward 1.1.1.2 to the internal ip of the server (correct), but have outgoing NAT for the mailserver make use of the primary (external) ip for the firewall (say 1.1.1.1).

If you go http://www.whatismyip.com/ from the mailserver, is that ip address the same as the one on your PTR record?

Montag, 18. Juni 2012 10:23
  • Thanks A_D ,

PTR record was there but with some other name  on ISP DNS server , during installation of exchange i did not care anyway thanks for help i have changed mx record and ptrn record now it is ok .   Thanks for your reply

Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 11:26