none
Some mail not arriving? some mail arriving late? Help please

Question

• Firstly holroydconstruction.co.uk is our domain should you want to run any DNS checks on it.

It has been brought to my attention that some E-mail has not arrived. Some E-mail I have noticed have arrived late up to 8 days late this however is a minority and we are receiving around 85% of our mail but that other 15% is causing me major headaches. It is also causing much FUD among the directors of the company, as some of the E-mails that haven’t arrived have been very important unfortunately. I have posted this problem on various forums and had little or no response to this and it’s getting to me! Any way back to the point. I started with windows 2003 and exchange 2003 running dhcp, dns, active directory, NAT VPN and exchange, this has been my first installation of a windows/exchange server. All these elements are working ok apart from E-mail which is like 85% ok.

To begin with I opened ports 1723(VPN) 25(SMTP) and due to the problems I have been having I opened up shed loads of additional ports incase it was the firewall. Firstly which ports should I be opening for exchange to send and receive all mail?

Secondly what could be causing some E-mail to land and not others? There must be something causing this

The E-mails that have arrived late have been in our ISP's Mail relay. Our exchange server has picked up the ones that have arrived on time directly. The ones which haven’t arrived at all are nowhere be seen they are not in message tracking.

In Exchange management I began running SMTP protocol only, again in desperation I switched on the pop3 service and IMAP4 to see if that could be causing it?

I am so stuck and am become overwhelmed by it as I am the only person in my department I have no where to turn so could you guys please help me out with your experience.

Should you want any further information on any of the points raised please let me know and I would be delighted to help.

Many thanks in advance!

Lawrence

Friday, September 15, 2006 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Lawrence:

As for 15% of your mail taking an abnormal amount of time, I'd try investigating twith Exchange 2003's message tracking feature. You can track its entire path to and from your organiztion with timestamps so you should be able to pinpoint where the bottleneck(s) are.

As for port configuration, generally more ports are required for servers and in the same AD site / routing group than those communicating remotely. To name a few, there's RPC ports, LDAP, HTTP, SMTP, the routing service, etc.

Rather than worry about each of these ports (pretty sure if you pole around online you should be able to find some sort of documentation on this) I'd use the Security configuration wizard that Microsoft provides. It has an Exchange server template that works fairly well that should take care of this for you.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, September 16, 2006 6:04 PM
  • I cant connect to your primary mail server, so that explains why mail is going to your backup mailers at your ISP.

As to why, that is something you are going to have to investigate further. Firewall/Proxy ( port 25 open inbound?), SMTP gateways configured correctly? AV or anti-spam interfering?

Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:08 PM
  • ok thats resolved now. sort of you can now dns report my exchange box it was down as i was trying to resolve the issue. Some email domains cant get messages to our box but yet 85% can? i got this guy i know to send me mail to my homail.com account and cc my work email address this only arrived at my hotmail? not my work? any ideas? driving me mad! thanks guys your all great! Loz

where the hell did i go wrong with this installation?

HELPPPPP!!!!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:28 AM