none
Outlook 2010 crashes when delegating permissions & unable to view another mailbox even when shared

Question

• Hi all, 

We are using MS Office 2010 on Windows 7 (with roaming profiles & redirected folders) and Exchange server 2007 (RTM) and are seing some(2) weird issues. Hoping someone else has experienced the same and can offer some assistance..

1) We are unable to view another mailbox in Outlook - User A has full access and send as on User B mailbox. User B has delegated Editor rights on entire mailbox for user A. We are recieving the "Cannot display the folder. Microsoft Outlook cannot access the specified folder location. The operation failed. An object cannot be found." Message..

2) Outlook 2010 likes to crash when we go to File > Account settings > Delegate Access  and fiddle with permissions and hit "Ok" it just crashes..

Any help/ideas/assistance/suggestions/anything would be appreciated, this is driving me bonkers ;-)

Thanks,

Brandon.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

So you are in a resource forest environment, I assume there are four users:

User forest: (Domain 2)

User A

User B

Exchange forest: (Domain 1)

User AA

User BB

Now the issue is:

1. User AA has full access right to User BB, but User A can’t access User B’s mailbox.

2. After you grant full access right for User BB to User A, User A can access User B’s mailbox.

If I misunderstand you, please let me know.

I suggest you grant the Exchange Impersonation rights to the account in the USER forest.

Add-AdPermission -Identity (Get-ExchangeServer -Identity "YourCASBox").Identity -User YourUserDomain\ServiceAccount -ExtendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-Impersonation

Add-AdPermission -Identity ActAsAccount -User YourUserDomain\ServiceAccount -ExtendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-May-Impersonate

After grant the Exchange Impersonation, we can really forget the linked mailbox.

Also try to recreate Outlook profile for User A.

Resource:

Cross Forest Exchange Impersonation - where the rubber meets the road

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Monday, May 16, 2011 4:01 AM
    Friday, May 06, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• Ok, so i have fixed it.. sort of....

We have our mail server on one domain (DOMAIN1) and by default the GUI for full access and send as permissions added the non linked (DOMAIN1) account.

All i had to do was add the right linked account eg: DOMAIN2\username via exchange management shell and all is good.

This still does not resolve the weird crashing issue on client PC's in outlook 2010 though..

Thursday, May 05, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

So you are in a resource forest environment, I assume there are four users:

User forest: (Domain 2)

User A

User B

Exchange forest: (Domain 1)

User AA

User BB

Now the issue is:

1. User AA has full access right to User BB, but User A can’t access User B’s mailbox.

2. After you grant full access right for User BB to User A, User A can access User B’s mailbox.

If I misunderstand you, please let me know.

I suggest you grant the Exchange Impersonation rights to the account in the USER forest.

Add-AdPermission -Identity (Get-ExchangeServer -Identity "YourCASBox").Identity -User YourUserDomain\ServiceAccount -ExtendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-Impersonation

Add-AdPermission -Identity ActAsAccount -User YourUserDomain\ServiceAccount -ExtendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-May-Impersonate

After grant the Exchange Impersonation, we can really forget the linked mailbox.

Also try to recreate Outlook profile for User A.

Resource:

Cross Forest Exchange Impersonation - where the rubber meets the road

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Monday, May 16, 2011 4:01 AM
    Friday, May 06, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Although i mention a workaround above, when our clients attempt to set delegates Outlook 2010/2007 Outlook still crashes..

Has anyone else experiences these issues?

I have recreated outlook profiles and tested on newly created mailboxes, we still see the same symptoms..

Any assistance is appreciated :-)

Thanks,

Brandon

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Hi

I facing the same issue on Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010.

Located on a big infrastructure mail ,all my users are not working with Outlook 2010 but with Outlook 2003.

But each time i modify my delagates , Outlook crash.

Any update about this issue ?

Sebi

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi

I facing the same issue on Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010.

Located on a big infrastructure mail ,all my users are not working with Outlook 2010 but with Outlook 2003.

But each time i modify my delagates , Outlook crash.

Any update about this issue ?

Sebi

Same problem here (in outlook 2010) when adding/removing delegates, outlook just crashes. Tried starting outlook in safe mode, still crashes. Tried fixit on .ost, still crashes.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:31 PM