none
Exchange 2003 > Exchange 2010 : Public Folder Migration

Question

• Hello all,

I already found a lot of topics/articles from people who also have a problem migrating the Public Folder Hierarchy to Exchange 2010.
    In my case I completely want to move it as i want to decommission the last Exchange2003 server.

In my case it did not work using either the Move All Replica's function in ESM 2003, or the MoveAllReplicas.ps1 script on Exchange shell.
    I did see traffic comming up:

* Messages are send by the ex2003 server to the ex2010 server
    * It seems like the messages are received by the ex2010 server

But then I get an error with tracking center in ex2010:

It gaves a FAIL for the function Routing. So i recreated the routing groups (both ways). And again, mailflow is starting for public folder referrals..

The basic problem here is that the public folder replicas on ex2003 are not disappearing from the replica list.
    When i run the Get-MailPublicFolder, the output is:

Alias                Identity
    -----                --------
    Default              x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Default
    exchangeV1           x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/exchangeV1
    globalevents         x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/globalevents
    internal             x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/internal
    microsoft            x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/microsoft
    Offline Address B... x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book - \/o=xxxx\/cn=addr...
    WARNING: The object x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book -
    \/o=xxxxxx\/cn=addrlists\/cn=oabs\/cn=Def has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. The following
    validation errors happened:
    WARNING: Property expression "Offline Address Book - /o=xxxxx/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Def" isn't valid. Valid
    values are: Strings formed with characters from A to Z (uppercase or lowercase), digits from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ',
    *, +, -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One or more periods may be embedded in an alias, but each period should be
    preceded and followed by at least one of the other characters. Unicode characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are also valid
    in an alias, but they will be mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the e-mail address, which is generated from such
    an alias.
    Offline Address B... x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book - First Administrative Group
    WARNING: The object x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book - First Administrative Group
    has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. The following validation errors happened:
    WARNING: Property expression "Offline Address Book - First Administrative Group" isn't valid. Valid values are: Strings
     formed with characters from A to Z (uppercase or lowercase), digits from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +, -, /, =, ?,
    ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One or more periods may be embedded in an alias, but each period should be preceded and followed
     by at least one of the other characters. Unicode characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are also valid in an alias, but they
     will be mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the e-mail address, which is generated from such an alias.
    PublicFolder58091076 x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OWAScratchPad{48706CF0-4EC1-45E7-828A-AAD71CAE...
    PublicFolder78186590 x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/StoreEvents{48706CF0-4EC1-45E7-828A-AAD71CAE448A}
    Schedule+ Free Bu... x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Schedule+ Free Busy Information - First Admini...
    WARNING: The object x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Schedule+ Free Busy Information - First
    Administrative Group has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. The following validation errors happened:
    WARNING: Property expression "Schedule+ Free Busy Information - First Administrative Group" isn't valid. Valid values
    are: Strings formed with characters from A to Z (uppercase or lowercase), digits from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +,
    -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One or more periods may be embedded in an alias, but each period should be preceded
    and followed by at least one of the other characters. Unicode characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are also valid in an
    alias, but they will be mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the e-mail address, which is generated from such an
    alias.
    schema-root          x.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/schema-root

Anyone some good advice in this issue?

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Fazal,

Sorry for my late reaction!

At the end I found out what was causing the problems. It was third party software which was blocking replication messages. We thought we disabled the scanning, but due to some configuration issues it was still blocking messages.

I started another thread for solving some other errors which are somehow related to this issue.

Thanks anyway for you help in this case! I hope you can also help me in my new thread.

Mark

Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:26 AM

All replies

• Thank You for your Post here

Can you please verify that the Changes to the GAL are being viewed by the CLients (the reason i am saying this because i see that the OAB isnt VALID)

I dont think so that it is VALID and you have to RE Create the OAB.(Would do this later first verify the above step)

About Public Folders

1)What is the State now ? I mean If you Open Outlook on any Client can you Write or Delete data from teh Public Folders?

Waiting for Your Reply

Regards

Fazal M Khan

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:34 AM
  • If the OAB Cannot be Downloaded that verify these settings

1. Open Exchange Management Console.

2. Locate Organization Configuration -> Database Management, make sure public folder database has been created.  

3. Right click the Mailbox database, choose Properties. Under "Client Settings" tab:

-Make sure "Default public folder database" has been configured.

-Make sure Offline address book has been configure.

4. Under Offline Address Book tab:

-Make sure Default Offline Address list has been created. (If there is no OAB, right the blank space and choose "New Offline Address Book" to create a new one)

-Generation Server is pointing to Exchange 2010

5. Right click it, choose Properties.

-Under General tab, Update Schedule is set to 5:00AM daily.

-Under Address Lists tab, "Include the default Global Address List" is selected.

-Under Distribution tab, "Outlook 2003 SP2 or later (Version 4)" is selected.

-Select "Enable Web-based distribution" and click Add to add the OAB virtual directory. Select "Enable public folder distribution"

6. Click OK. If there is any change, right click the OAB and choose Update.

7. Under Exchange Management Shell, run the following command to start the distribution:

Update-FileDistributionService –id ServerName

Note: Replace ServerName with your real server name.

From the client side, let's create a new Outlook profile to verify the result:

============

1. Close Outlook.

2. Click Start menu-> Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click the Mail icon.

3. Click Show Profiles and then click Add. In the New Profile dialog box, type a descriptive name for the new profile in the Profile Name box, and then click OK.

4. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click "Add a new e-mail account", and then click Next.

5. Select the appropriate server type for your e-mail account, and then click Next.

6. Fill in the appropriate information as prompted, and then click Next and Finish as needed.

7. Click the "Prompt for a profile to be used" option and click OK. This way, you will be prompted for a profile when starting Outlook.

8. Restart Outlook and select the new profile

Check if OAB can be downloaded or not.

Regards

Fazal M Khan

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Hello Fazal,

It looks like changes are being viewed by clients. All adresses are in the GAL.

When i run isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test replstate

* Exchange 2003 : 100% OK
    * Exchange 2010 : Error

Error:
    C:\Users\Administrator>isinteg -s ex2010 -fix -test rowcounts
    Databases for server ex2010:
    Only databases marked as Offline can be checked

Index  Status       Database-Name
      1    Online       Mailbox Database 0617406314
      2    Offline      Public Folder Database 1369400826
    Enter a number to select a database or press Return to exit.
    You have selected Public Folder Database 1369400826.
    Continue?(Y/N)y

Isinteg: the request to cancel verification process failed.
    Isinteg: the request to stop verification process failed.
      The verification has probably been interrupted.
      Please review the log file for more information.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Did you tested the Above Resolutions?

Found an article for you (I can see similar errors being displayed)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/301460?p=1

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Thank You for your Reply.

Could You start Moving the Public Folders now Using

1. Open a command prompt (select Start, Run, type cmd, and click OK).
    2. Type cd D:\support\Exdeploy and press Enter.
    3. To create a report of current public folder replication, type the following:
     pfmigrate.wsf /S:OLDSERVERNAME /T:NEWSERVERNAME /R /F:c:\LOGNAME.log

This generates a report named LOGNAME.log on the C: drive. OLDSERVERNAME should
    be the name of the old Exchange Server 2003 system, and NEWSERVERNAME should be
    the new Exchange Server 2010 system.

4. To replicate system folders from the Exchange Server 2003 server to the Exchange
     Server 2010 server, type the following:
     pfmigrate.wsf /S:OLDSERVERNAME /T:NEWSERVERNAME /SF /A /N:10000/F:c:\LOGNAME.log
    5. To replicate public folders from Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2010, type
    the following:
    pfmigrate.wsf /S:OLDSERVERNAME /T:NEWSERVERNAME /A /N:10000
    /F:c:\LOGNAME.log
    The /N:#### field determines how many public folders should be addressed by the
    tool. If a larger number of public folders than 10,000 exists, the parameter should be
    increased to match.
    6. After all public folders have replicated, the old replicas can be removed from the
    Exchange Server 2003 servers by typing the following:
    pfmigrate.wsf /S:OLDSERVERNAME /T:NEWSERVERNAME /D
    7. The LOGNAME.log file can be reviewed to ensure that replication has occurred successfully
    and that a copy of each public folder exists on the new server.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Hi mark i just Got a mssg from you I mean Is that issue Resolved ?

What was the Error in the CMDLET that you were Performing ?

Does this Solves your issue ?

For any More Help Please donot Hesitate to post on this FORUM

Regards

Fazal M Khan

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Hi Fazal,

Sorry for my late reaction!

At the end I found out what was causing the problems. It was third party software which was blocking replication messages. We thought we disabled the scanning, but due to some configuration issues it was still blocking messages.

I started another thread for solving some other errors which are somehow related to this issue.

Thanks anyway for you help in this case! I hope you can also help me in my new thread.

Mark

Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Glad to hear that your Issue has been Resolved.

Sure ill try to search your thread and would try my best to get your issue resolved.

for any more querries please feel free to post on this forum

Regards

Fazal Muhammad Khan | MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS | Infrastructure Consultant, Technology Services | CDC Pakistan Ltd. | https://fazalmkhan.spaces.live.com | OFFICE: +92 21 111 111 500 Ext: 1402 | +5 GMT
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Here's some more information that might be helpful,
    Pete
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 5:15 PM