none
Outlook connection type "mail" connects to worng server

Question

• Hi,

Recently I have setup two Exchange 2010 SP2 mailbox servers within one DAG and two separate Client Access Servers with Hub Transport Role servers on NLB cluster. I am preparing migration from Exchange 2003 into 2010.

Client Access Servers (CAS1 and CAS2) has been configured as CAS array named CAS.DOMAIN.COM.

Before the Client Access Server Array I was using CAS1 only to connect to the Exchange 2010.

Situation looks like this:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ClientAccessArray |fl name,site,fqdn,members

Name    : CAS
    Site    : domain.com/Configuration/Sites/Default-First-Site-Name
    Fqdn    : cas.domain.com
    Members : {CAS1, CAS2}

I have also set all my databases to use CAS array.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabase |fl name,*Client*

Name                  : MAILDB02
    RpcClientAccessServer : cas.flugger.com
    Name                  : MAILDB01
    Name                  : MAIL_ARCH_DB01

After migration of the user mailbox  the Outlook client connects to "directory" using CAS.domain.com (which is correct) but "Mail" still connects to CAS1 server.
    At another user I can see that the client connects to CAS.domain.com servers with Directory and Mail but also still connects to the old Exchange server.

I have tried to restart the CAS1 server, but it influence those Outlook clients which were connected to CAS1 server with "Mail" service. During the server restart the user has received the message that server administrator do some maintanance and the client has been disconnected from the server. It also show up credential window asking for user name/pasword. After server restart everything get back to normal.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this. Can you help me?

BR Michal Ziemba

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:52 PM

Answers

• I am preparing migration from Exchange 2003 into 2010.

Client Access Servers (CAS1 and CAS2) has been configured as CAS array named CAS.DOMAIN.COM.

Before the Client Access Server Array I was using CAS1 only to connect to the Exchange 2010.

After migration of the user mailbox  the Outlook client connects to "directory" using CAS.domain.com (which is correct) but "Mail" still connects to CAS1 server.
    At another user I can see that the client connects to CAS.domain.com servers with Directory and Mail but also still connects to the old Exchange server.

Hi Michal,

Seems like these 2 mailboxes are migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 BEFORE you created the CAS Array, right?

If yes,  a manual profile repair within Outlook should be worked.

For more information, please see:5. A CAS array object should not be configured after creating Exchange Server 2010 databases

Demystifying the CAS Array Object - Part 2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/28/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-2.aspx

Could you please move another Exchange 2003 mailbox to Exchange 2010 to test?

Please also create a new Exchange 2010 mailbox to see whether it works.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michal Ziemba Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:13 AM
    Monday, April 02, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• Outlook can be sticky.  Try resetting the Outlook profile.  Delete the last letter of your name and click Check Names and see if that resets Outlook to use CAS.  Where are your public folders?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Ed,

I have tried to repair the Mail configuration Under Account Settings - E-mail Accounts but this did not help.
    Still I can see that Outlook connects to CAS using "Directory" and CAS1 using Mail.

I have old Public folders still on Exchange 2003 and New Public folder database on Exchange 2010.

I hold on migration of users untill I will resolve the issue.

BR Michal Ziemba

Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:45 PM
  • I am preparing migration from Exchange 2003 into 2010.

Hi Michal,

Seems like these 2 mailboxes are migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 BEFORE you created the CAS Array, right?

If yes,  a manual profile repair within Outlook should be worked.

For more information, please see:5. A CAS array object should not be configured after creating Exchange Server 2010 databases

Demystifying the CAS Array Object - Part 2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/28/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-2.aspx

Could you please move another Exchange 2003 mailbox to Exchange 2010 to test?

Please also create a new Exchange 2010 mailbox to see whether it works.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by Michal Ziemba Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:13 AM
    Monday, April 02, 2012 7:30 AM
  • I have norrow down the problem to one database.
    If the user mailbox is in MAILDB01 the Outlook connects to wrong Client Access Server.

I have double check the RpcClientAccessServer  parameter for every database - it points to CAS.

What else can be wrong?

BR Michal Ziemba

Monday, April 02, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Hi Michal,

Could you please restart all Exchange 2010 servers first?

Please also make the test as I said in my last reply.

"Could you please move another Exchange 2003 mailbox to Exchange 2010 to test?

Please also create a new Exchange 2010 mailbox to see whether it works."

Frank Wang

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hi Frank,

I have created new account in Exchange 2010 and also imported one from Exchange 2003 to the MAILDB02 database and found it working OK.

So I have created MAILDB03 database and created a mailbox in that database. I have also imported one from Exchange 2003 to this database and found it working  well.

So finally I moved all existing users to the new database and deleted the MAILDB01 one.

Thank you!

BR Michal Ziemba

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:12 AM