none
unable to uninstall or change Exchange 2010

Question

• Hi,

I'm unable to uninstall or change Exchange 2010. I've read thru this forum,but can't find a resolution. Please help!

error: "some controls aren't valid. -ExSetup cannot be called directly to perform upgrades. Please use Setup.com."

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:23 PM

Answers

• Modify or Remove Exchange Server 2010

You can either run Exchange 2010 Setup.exe or navigate to Control Panel to modify or remove Exchange 2010 (either server roles or an entire installation).

1.  The Maintenance Mode page of the Exchange Server 2010 Setup wizard begins the process of changing or removing your Exchange installation. Click Next to continue.
    2.  On the Server Role Selection page, select the Exchange server roles that you want to add (if you're changing an installation) or remove (if you're removing one or more server roles or an entire installation). Click Next to continue.
    3.  On the Readiness Checks page, view the status to determine if the organization and server role prerequisite checks completed successfully. If the prerequisites check doesn't complete successfully, review the Summary page to help troubleshoot and fix any issues that are preventing Setup from completing. If the checks have completed successfully, clickInstall if you want to add a server role or Uninstall to remove the specified server role(s) or the entire installation of Exchange 2010.
    4.  On the Completion page, click Finish.

For more information, check out this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332361.aspx

Zahir Hussain Shah | MVP - Exchange Server | Senior Infrastructure Consultant - Messaging | My blog: http://zahirshahblog.com ]If my answer fixes your problem, mark them as answer, so it will help others to find a solution]

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Exchange 2010 Manual Un-Installation is UN-SUPPORTED.

The Best way to Remove Exchange 2010 is Uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.

You may try the following article.

This will COMPLETELY REMOVE ALL Exchange related objects from Organization Completely.

As It will Remove all Exchange Related Active directory Objects , None of the Exchange related stuff will work after you complete the following Manual Un-Installation.

Please don’t follow in case you have any working exchange server ( 2000,2003,2007 or 2010) in your Organization.

Ref to:
    How to Manually Uninstall Last Exchange 2010 Server from Organization

All the Best :)

Pawan Kumar

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:35 PM
  • This is not a manual uninstall. I'm trying it from Add/Remove Programs.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Are you already running a version of Exchange in your organization?

If so, which one?

Is it installed on the server where you are having problems?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Yes, I'm running Exchange 2010 SP2. It's a combined CAS HT roles.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:06 PM
  • What does the setup log say?

Sukh

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Some Controls are not valid- Please specify an existing server role(s) to uninstall”

un-checking the “Management Tools” option.

Hope helps.

Brave Zhou
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 1:38 PM

• Modify or Remove Exchange Server 2010

You can either run Exchange 2010 Setup.exe or navigate to Control Panel to modify or remove Exchange 2010 (either server roles or an entire installation).

1.  The Maintenance Mode page of the Exchange Server 2010 Setup wizard begins the process of changing or removing your Exchange installation. Click Next to continue.
    2.  On the Server Role Selection page, select the Exchange server roles that you want to add (if you're changing an installation) or remove (if you're removing one or more server roles or an entire installation). Click Next to continue.
    3.  On the Readiness Checks page, view the status to determine if the organization and server role prerequisite checks completed successfully. If the prerequisites check doesn't complete successfully, review the Summary page to help troubleshoot and fix any issues that are preventing Setup from completing. If the checks have completed successfully, clickInstall if you want to add a server role or Uninstall to remove the specified server role(s) or the entire installation of Exchange 2010.
    4.  On the Completion page, click Finish.

For more information, check out this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332361.aspx

Zahir Hussain Shah | MVP - Exchange Server | Senior Infrastructure Consultant - Messaging | My blog: http://zahirshahblog.com ]If my answer fixes your problem, mark them as answer, so it will help others to find a solution]

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Zahir,

This is not an answer.

• Edited by Brian_MCC Monday, December 10, 2012 2:18 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 2:17 PM
  • First uninstall Exchange Service Pack

c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\V14\bin\setup.com /mode:uninstall

When SP is removed You can uninstall Exchange via Control Panel.

This worked for me :)

• Proposed as answer by TrombeQ Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:34 PM
    Saturday, October 05, 2013 3:34 PM
  • This error occurs when trying to remove Exchange from the Programs Control Panel, so unfortunately your answer doesn't help.  

TrombeQ below pointed me in the right direction with a command line to run an unattended un-installation.

Thanks anyway though!

-Sebastian

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:29 AM
  • This error occurs when trying to remove Exchange from the Programs Control Panel, so unfortunately your answer doesn't help.  

TrombeQ below pointed me in the right direction with a command line to run an unattended un-installation.

Thanks anyway though!

-Sebastian

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:29 AM
  • This was what I needed. Thanks TrombeQ!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:30 AM
  • The trick was to uninstall via command line, as offered by TrombeQ below:

First uninstall Exchange Service Pack

c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\V14\bin\setup.com /mode:uninstall

When SP is removed You can uninstall Exchange via Control Panel.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:32 AM