none
Allow user to open another user's mailbox

Question

• On our Exchange server, all staff have their own mailboxes.  One of the Directors wants his PA to be able to view his mail.  Is there a way I can let her open his mailbox within Outlook under her username?  Ideally, I want her to still have her own inbox but then be able to open the Director's mail and view it in a separate inbox.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gary

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:11 PM

All replies

• Users can use the Delegate functionality from outlook to give other users permission to individual folders. use Tools|Options|Delegate tab

or the administrator can gran full mailbox permission to the delegated account. this is done from ADUC|Exchange advanced tab|Mailbox permission

Friday, August 03, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Lasse,

Thanks for your reply.  I've tried this, and it works perfectly.

However, every time the PA wants to open the Director's inbox, she has to go to File > Open > Other users mailbox...

Is there a way to make this always appear in the list of folders at the left of the Outlook screen?

Thanks,

Gary

Monday, August 06, 2007 3:07 PM
  • Yes, its a little different depending on version of outlook.

Control Panel | Mail | Email Accounts | Exchange Server | More Setting | Advanced tab

add additional mailboxes that outlook should open

Monday, August 06, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Lasse,

Thanks for this.  I've found the options in the Control Panel to add another mailbox.  However, after I've added it, when we open Outlook and click on the mailbox it says "Unable to open".

Do I need to so something other than just set up the PA as a delegate to the Director's mailbox?

Thanks,

Gary

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 9:45 AM
  • If you cannot open the mailbox it is probably caused by permission or Outlook is unable to locate the mailbox.

Hidden mailboxes cannot be located by Outlook, You can make it visible and then add it in outlook and when everythings work OK you can hide it again.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:28 PM