none
Event id 2915: Process Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe

Question

• Hi all,
    We are in a transition mode with Exchange 2003 & 2010, we also have a Blackberry Server, both have mailboxes.
    My Application log on the Exchange 2010sp1 server has loads of the below errors, every thing seems to be working but as they are Errors i'd like to try and find out what's causing it and what it means to try and resolve it.
    Is anyone able to help me sort this out.
    Process Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe (PID=6156). User 'Sid~HAL\administrator~RCA~false' has gone over budget '301' times for component 'RCA' within a one minute period. Info: 'Policy:DefaultThrottlingPolicy_f57c19f5-0462-4115-b005-d105670e21d6, Parts:CAS:300;'. Threshold value: '100'.
    Event id 2915
    MSExchange ADAccess
    All the messages are the same but the the budge times are different, ranging from 100 right up to 655

Roger
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:06 PM

Answers

• Ripped staright from the BES Setup guide

Turn off client throttling in Microsoft Exchange 2010

By default, Microsoft® Exchange 2010 uses client throttling policies to track the bandwidth that each Microsoft Exchange user consumes and enforce bandwidth limits as necessary. The policies affect the performance of theBlackBerry® Enterprise Server, so you should turn off client throttling for the Windows® account that has a Microsoft Exchange mailbox.
    1. On a computer that hosts the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell, open the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell.
    2. Type New-ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy.
    3. Type the following command: Set-ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -RCAPercentTimeInAD $null -RCAPercentTimeInCAS $null -RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxConcurrency $null -EWSPercentTimeInAD $null -EWSPercentTimeInCAS $null -EWSPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxSubscriptions $null -EWSFastSearchTimeoutInSeconds $null -EWSFindCountLimit $null
    4. Type Set-Mailbox "BESAdmin" -ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy.

The above assumes that you have BESAdmin as the account under which you access exchange
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Setting the BES throttling policy on the admin account basically means that exchange 2010 will accept as many new connections as it is able to when using the administrator account. Potentially slowing the rest of the system as it has to process all of those incoming connections. This will increase the speed at which the exchange 2003 box can move messages to the 2010 box as you will not be limited to 100 connections per 1 minute. Without knowing the specs of your exchange box i wouldnt like to take a guess at how many concurrent connections it could handle within the minute.

I would put it back to default once you transfer is completed as its an unnecessary risk to your exchange environment once your transition is completed no program (except BES) should require 100 rpc connections per minute if you do find such a program then you shouldn't configure it to use the admin account anyway). Putting it back on the default settings will have no negative impacts during normal day to day operations. 

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:30 PM

All replies

• Ripped staright from the BES Setup guide

Turn off client throttling in Microsoft Exchange 2010

By default, Microsoft® Exchange 2010 uses client throttling policies to track the bandwidth that each Microsoft Exchange user consumes and enforce bandwidth limits as necessary. The policies affect the performance of theBlackBerry® Enterprise Server, so you should turn off client throttling for the Windows® account that has a Microsoft Exchange mailbox.
    1. On a computer that hosts the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell, open the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell.
    2. Type New-ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy.
    3. Type the following command: Set-ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -RCAPercentTimeInAD $null -RCAPercentTimeInCAS $null -RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxConcurrency $null -EWSPercentTimeInAD $null -EWSPercentTimeInCAS $null -EWSPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxSubscriptions $null -EWSFastSearchTimeoutInSeconds $null -EWSFindCountLimit $null
    4. Type Set-Mailbox "BESAdmin" -ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy.

The above assumes that you have BESAdmin as the account under which you access exchange
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Thanks jon,

But i have the Bes account is "BesAdmin" not the administrator.

We have also already created the new policy for the user BESAdmin and applied it to it, however the administrator does not have one applied to it.

See below :

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox "besadmin" | fl -property ThrottlingPolicy

ThrottlingPolicy : BESPolicy

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox "administrator" | fl -property ThrottlingPolicy

ThrottlingPolicy :

Should the administrator have some sort of policy other than the default / Blank one?

Thanks Jon

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

Roger
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Setting the administrator throttling policy to the BES policy will certainly stop the error messages appearing. If you are currently transitioning from 03 to 10 then I would put the errors down to the large volume of mail and RPC calls between the servers using the Admin account.

I would set the admin account to use the BESPolicy whilst you are doing your transition then put it back to default once the transition is completed.

The side effects may be slower client access and performance during the transition but your transition of mailboxes will finish allot quicker as 2010 will not throttle the connections from the 03 box.

If you dont mind waiting a little longer during the transition of mailboxes then the error can be safely ignored.

• Edited by JonBridger Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Cheers Jon,

Before i go ahead and try, let me give you some more information.

Exch 2003 - 5 mailboxes ( to be moved within the next two months)

Exch 2010 - 40 mailboxes

Around 60 users in total in Active Directory.

1 BES 5.0.3.41 Server with around 30 Users.

By Setting the BES Throttling Policy onto the Administrator account, what ramifications are there ? could any issues arise ?

If I did apply it and leave it as the BesPolicy what does this mean for long term as you mention putting back to default / blank ?

Sorry to ask so many questions Jon, just not to clear on it just yet, looking for best long term solution.

Roger
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Setting the BES throttling policy on the admin account basically means that exchange 2010 will accept as many new connections as it is able to when using the administrator account. Potentially slowing the rest of the system as it has to process all of those incoming connections. This will increase the speed at which the exchange 2003 box can move messages to the 2010 box as you will not be limited to 100 connections per 1 minute. Without knowing the specs of your exchange box i wouldnt like to take a guess at how many concurrent connections it could handle within the minute.

I would put it back to default once you transfer is completed as its an unnecessary risk to your exchange environment once your transition is completed no program (except BES) should require 100 rpc connections per minute if you do find such a program then you shouldn't configure it to use the admin account anyway). Putting it back on the default settings will have no negative impacts during normal day to day operations. 

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Thanks Jon,

We've not changed the policy as we have had no issues other than the the warnings in the event viewer.  Also we have managed to move all except two mailboxes ( 1 x besadmin account and 1 user) onto the new server so i'm going to leave it until we remove the last exchange 2003 server.

Thanks for all the help.

Roger
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:14 PM