none
Rebuild Crashed Exchange 2003 Server on New Hardware

Question

• Hi, All
    I am looking in to net regarding Recovery of Exchange Server 2003,
    I have a Single Domain Controller, and Exchange server 2003 is installed on the same machine.
    lets assume that Mine Whole server Crashed, Inculding Hardware and I have to setup a complete new Backup.
    So my question is how to do it ?I have only Full Backup of Exchange Server using NTBACKUP.

for testing Purpose i setup a machine.

Original Machine                   |         Testing Machine

Windows 2k3 standard SP2       |    Windows 2K3 enterprise SP2
    Exchange 2003 SP2 (D Drive)   |   Exchange 2003  SP2 (D Drive)
    Compuetr name : Mail              |    Compute Name : Mail
    ip: 10.1.1.1                             |   ip: 10.1.1.1

Now I stuck in

• How to create users????
    • I tried to restore the backup of original server It fails.
    Still searching on the net how to fix it..

Thanks
    Aman Dhally 

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Aman,

1. Microsoft does not recommend to install Exchange Server on DC

2. Regarding restore users question, I would like to explain that it is AD related question and you need to post your question to Windows Server forum

3. Regarding restore database from to a new created org, you need to ensure:

a. The Exchange Organization name is same as original org

b. The Administrative Group name is same as original AG

c. The Storage Group name is same as original SG

d. The new databse name is same as original db

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Mike.

First I think we need have backup for your Active Directory. The first thing is to restore AD from disaster recovery.

How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a computer with a different hardware configuration
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532

Then please try to use restore exchange server to another machine.

Restoring Exchange Server 2003 to alternate Hardware
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Restoring-Exchange-Server2003-Alternate-Hardware.html

Regards,
    Xiu
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Aman,

Have you installed exchange server with a /disasterrocovery switch or have you gone for the normal installation.

Is the domain name the same in both the machines?

Can you paste the error that you are getting in the event viewer when the restore fails?

- Nagesh
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Hi, Nagesh
    How are you?

Now i did not use Disaster Recovery Switch { I think disaster recovery switch help only if exchange server was a member server on domain}, I gone with normall installation.

Yes the domain name and the computer name on both machines is same.

When i resore the data I am getting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ESE
    Event Category: Logging/Recovery
    Event ID: 619
    Date:  1/20/2010
    Time:  5:23:15 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MAIL
    Description:
    Information Store (320) TEST: Attempted to attach database 'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\TEST\TEST.edb' but it is a database restored from a backup set on which hard recovery was not started or did not complete successfully.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 9519
    Description:
    Error 0xfffffde0 starting database "TEST\TEST" on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

Data:
    0000: 46 61 69 6c 65 64 20 74   Failed t
    0008: 6f 20 61 74 74 61 63 68   o attach
    0010: 20 74 6f 20 4a 65 74 20    to Jet
    0018: 44 42 00                  DB.    

Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 9518
    Description:
    Error 0xfffffde0 starting Storage Group /DC=net/DC=isolution/CN=Configuration/CN=Services/CN=Microsoft Exchange/CN=BDA Connect/CN=Administrative Groups/CN=First Administrative Group/CN=Servers/CN=MAIL/CN=InformationStore/CN=TEST on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    MDB failed to start.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aman dhally

Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:27 AM
  • Hi Aman,

1. Microsoft does not recommend to install Exchange Server on DC

2. Regarding restore users question, I would like to explain that it is AD related question and you need to post your question to Windows Server forum

3. Regarding restore database from to a new created org, you need to ensure:

a. The Exchange Organization name is same as original org

b. The Administrative Group name is same as original AG

c. The Storage Group name is same as original SG

d. The new databse name is same as original db

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Mike.

First I think we need have backup for your Active Directory. The first thing is to restore AD from disaster recovery.

How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a computer with a different hardware configuration
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532

Then please try to use restore exchange server to another machine.

Restoring Exchange Server 2003 to alternate Hardware
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Restoring-Exchange-Server2003-Alternate-Hardware.html

Regards,
    Xiu
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:16 AM
  • HI All,

Thanks for the reply ...

I am able to restore the data on a testing machine. {Still not test on a Production EnvironMent}

The Step which i followed I am publishing here may B these steps will help someone else  ;-) .

Install Windows Server with Same Service Pack, same IP-Address Gateway,DNS, and same Computer Name.
    Promote your computer to Domain Controller {domain Name should be same as Previous one}
    . Create your Users.
    . Install Exchange Server {While Installing the exchange server please use the exact same Organization Name like Previous one and this is very important}
    . Install Exchange Server Service Pack
    If you have any Extra Storage Group or MailBox Database Create it now {Please use the same exact name like previous one}
    Mount the New Created Database and tick on | This database can be overwritten by a restore.
    . Dismount database.
    . Run NTBACKUP and select you backup and restore it and make shure Last Restore Set is checked in Restore wizard of NTBACKUP
    . If Database Restore Sucessfully Mount the Database, and now you able to see the mailboxes in MailBox database in ESM.
    . In ESM got to the Mailbox Database and in Mailboxes Panel, Right Clik and and Click on | Run Cleanup Agent
    It will mark your disconnted mailboxex with redcross.
    . Now Select any Mailbox, right click on it and Select Reconnect, and then browse and select user form active Directory and connect it ..
    May b after re-connecting the database you may b not able to log in or not able to see the email of the reconnecting user, then from administrator email account, sent test email to that users and it it should start working..

These above step is tested by me on a testing machine, Mine Original server is Dell PowerEdge and I test it on a Core2Duo Machine..

Thanks a lots for all of ur replys and help..

Thanks a lot ..

regard

Aman Dhally

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Thanks Aman! That helped a lot.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:17 PM
  • welcome Grinnin

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:42 AM