none
Outlook keeps crashing while connecting to Exchange 2013

Question

• Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago we've installed some new VM's at a client.

Everything went well, we did a fresh install, no migration (From SBS2003).

New situation :

- DC1 : WIN2008R2

- E2013 : WIN2008R2 - EXCHANGE 2013

The only strange thing that is getting very annoying is when a users has full mailbox rights on other mailboxes, while starting Outlook 2010 or 2013, it hangs for about 30-60 seconds, after that it works fine.

When we test this with Outlook 2007, everything works fine.

I've allready disabled automapping, cache on/off, updates, ... Doesn't resolve the problem.

We have multiple Exchange 2013 environments but they're all running on Windows server 2012, maybe that has something to do with it?

What more can I do? I hope i'll find the answer here.

Bye & Thanks for the upcoming answers.

• Edited by Nicolaz_ Monday, October 28, 2013 10:31 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 10:29 AM

Answers

• You know they changed the way shared folders/mailboxes work in 2010/13 vs 2007.  Check out this article and see if it helps.  I know at the beginning they say this happens if default MB is cached, but I have see it where even though a shared MB is not marked to cache that it still tries to.   Anyway its a simple adjustment that is worthwhile to try.   

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982697

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:14 AM

All replies

• If the account has access to other mailboxes are you by chance running a cached OST?  If so you might just be that its syncing info from those accounts.

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

In order to narrow down the cause, I’d like to confirm the following information:

1. When does the issue appear? Is it every time we open Outlook?
    2. Does the issue exist on all users(both external users and internal users), or a single user?
    3. Is there some reminder when outlook keeps hanging? Does it display updating this folder or connecting to server at the bottom of Outlook?
    4. Does the issue still exist when using safe mode without any add-ins?

Thanks,
    Angela

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:16 PM
  • 1. Assume that there are 20 users.

There is one users that has full mailbox rights on all mailboxes. Everytime he opens Outlook 2010 (x86) on his Workstation (Windows 7 x64), it hangs for about 30-60, it happens every time.

That User also has a VMWare View Machine (Windows 7 x64) with Outlook 2013 (x86), when he opens Outlook, it also hangs for about 30-60 seconds, it happens also every time.

2. This happens with all users who has more then 2 or 3 mailboxes added trough automapping (Full Mailbox rights trough ECP). Internal/External - Problem exists.

3. No reminder - No updating folders because cache disabled (problem exists when i enable cache)

4. Can't test right now but i think problem exists, tested this before

The only solution is to remove all mailbox rights on other mailboxes for that user, then it works fine.

• Edited by Nicolaz_ Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:34 PM
  • So for clarification on # 3, are you saying the problem happens when Caching is on but not when its off or??

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Cache on or off, the problem is always there.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:40 PM
  • "I've allready disabled automapping, cache on/off"

By this you also mean download shared folders in advanced settings(where you can add shared mailboxes)?As default this is on,but should be off.

Have you tried to remove all shared mailbox and see if problem is still there?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:03 PM
  • When there are no shared mailboxes added, trough automapping or manually trough advanced account settings, there are no problems at all.

"By this you also mean download shared folders in advanced settings"

I assume you mean this : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12827793/Exchange.png

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:21 PM
  • The first one (with red arrow should be marked,but not the rest.

Try to run outlook in safe mode from run - outlook /safe and see if it crashes

How large is the shared mailbox?

How much ram and CPU does the VM have?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:51 PM
  • You know they changed the way shared folders/mailboxes work in 2010/13 vs 2007.  Check out this article and see if it helps.  I know at the beginning they say this happens if default MB is cached, but I have see it where even though a shared MB is not marked to cache that it still tries to.   Anyway its a simple adjustment that is worthwhile to try.   

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982697

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Why should it be marked? I only mark this when it's a user on a laptop, so they can make drafts when they're on the road and have no Internet Connection.

When it's a Workstation or VDI, i leave it unmarked because they're always in the domain connected to the Exchange Server, so there's no need to cache. (Or is this a wrong statement?)

Outlook /safe : Same problem, Outlook hangs & the message "not responding" appears.

RAM/CPU is not the cause. A HP Z420 Workstation with Intel Xeon & 8GB RAM has the same problem.

• Edited by Nicolaz_ Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:27 AM
  • Thanks for answer but did not resolve the issue.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:27 AM
  • The first mark doesnt download the shared folder but the second check box will.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:28 AM
  • I know, the first mark makes the account working with cache mode, but that didn't also resolve the issue.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:56 AM